Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Exponential  (Read 11756 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Exponential
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 06:51:46 am »

Hey man, I'm just fooling around, relax. If you wanna run a serious/realistic game (with the obvious exception of the protagonist's powers), no problem. I can certainly wait with shenanigans for later, or even drop them completely if you prefer that!

That said, an organism this size wouldn't really work like this, as far as I'm aware. Now, I'm no real expert by any means, but I'm doing a masters in biochem, and there are several non-trivial problems with 'Outside of very specific organs and muscles, all cells do everything'. But I'll save you the explanation, after all, that's not the point of the game, I think.

As for why a hivemind would need sound organs: sound is a very good way of transmitting information over long distances, so it could still very well use it. Unless this hivemind has psychic powers, of course, which I hope you'll agree has no basis in reality as we know it. And yes, that ear was grown artificially, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a much simpler thing than a working limb. I don't even really want a strict vuvuzela, an organ like this could work for amplifying sound, making communication over distance easier.

tl;dr: never mind my joke action, carry on.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 12:43:14 pm »

Create Hosting Hunger then Smash dark glass wall open.  Shoot a Hosting Hunger at the prey brandishing a weapon, then move in to the room.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 04:10:40 pm »

Kevak, you might want to add this game to the list of your games in your signature.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:33 pm »

((Updating later today.))

Kevak, you might want to add this game to the list of your games in your signature.
((I have like ten games. The signature is horribly out of date.))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:13 pm »

Eat notprey in full. We're the only Self, no imposters necessary.

Use biomass to grow metal pellet-resistent bony armor.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »

If it's out of date, why is it still there?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »

+1
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:08 pm »

If it's out of date, why is it still there?
((Because lazy and because sig can't hold very much. So even though I have a bunch of games, I can't fit them all in there.))

+1
((Also that's outside your planning range, you don't have a concept of metal, nor do you have the required MP for it. That's a T4 mutation, if you ate all of Notprey, you would have 60 MP with a planning range of 50 MP, as well as about 200 biomass to work with. That's enough for a T3 mutation but not a T4. It'll be on the table though for when you have a concept of metal and you have a planning range for it.))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:20:34 pm by Kevak »

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:29 pm »

[/s]
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 10:13:45 pm »

+1
((Also that's outside your planning range, you don't have a concept of metal, nor do you have the required MP for it. That's a T4 mutation, if you ate all of Notprey, you would have 60 MP with a planning range of 50 MP, as well as about 200 biomass to work with. That's enough for a T3 mutation but not a T4. It'll be on the table though for when you have a concept of metal and you have a planning range for it.))
((You misunderstand me. It's bony armor which can resist metal pellets (bullets), not metal armor. Your speech on game mechanics got me to thinking that it would be more interesting and less cliched if we focused on assimilating things into one powerful body rather than doing zombie hordes or whatever.))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:15:43 pm by Remuthra »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 10:30:16 pm »

((A Hive Avatar Strain is a possibility, and actually intended after you have around 100 or so units, however with the resources available to you currently, and the lack of a groupmind from other units, you aren't fully sapient, the only way to get T4 and onward mutations is by having multiple units. And again, you lack a concept of metal, you don't know what would be resistant to metal pellets because you don't know what metal pellets would do. You don't have a concept of it. Although, when you do gain a concept of it, it's a 70MP/GB prototyping, placing it firmly in the T4 range of defensive optional mutations. There will be plenty of time for experimenting with this kind of thing later when you aren't under threat of death.))

((Think of it like a fleet of starships. You can have a supermassive dreadnaught. But if it lacks the literal fleet of auxiliaries to mine and process fuel and ammo, it'll be completely useless and dead in space when an enemy comes around.))

((Consuming Notprey is a valid option though, I recommend making several Hosting Larva for the control, prototyping Hosting Hunger and making two, and Prototyping Basic Claws. That'll be more then enough to get you through the next few rooms.))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:59 pm »

((Then just make bone armor. It's bone, it'll be hard to simply destroy. The skull already provides the necessary work to base off of already functioning as intended; it can't be complicated.))

((If this game is really railroaded to the extent that we're not allowed to do anything unexpected, why aren't you just playing it yourself?))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »

((Just a general bone armor works, a T2 version would be bone plating vital zones (Brain and hosted Larva) Would add a 3 Armor to a unit and would make it more difficult to critkill vital spots. The railroad is so you don't Die. There will be plenty of time to experiment After you're out of the facility. The first portion is pretty much balancing the mutation/combat system as well as fleshing out what humans can do, I did some pregame balancing, however I have noticed a number of issues. Bear with me for the first bit so the mechanics aren't horribly broken kay? As it is, undead have a huge advantage damagewise and flat healthwise but are flimsy due to how easy they can be critkilled. So a light plating works at reducing that. Light plating would be 30MP/GB. What you were asking for was bulletproof, which would be rather expensive. Low cal bullets have an AP of 5 and do considerable amounts of damage should they hit. Standard units have 2 natural armor. Adding 3 armor onto that results in no bonus from lowcal piercing damage and would make you effectively immune to most basic melee weapons.))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »

((Do that, then. Twas my original intention in the first place, not sure why so much clarification would be necessary (GM has discretion to adapt and interpret suggestions). Irks me that this portion of the game seems to consist of a large flashing sign with the words, 'press A to spawn larva', and pressing anything else spits out an Incorrect Button Error :P.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:59 pm »

((Sorry about the irking larva thing, *sorta wants to show off the larva cause they're awesome~*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6