Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Lost Isle/[1st Cycle-Missing the Birdgirl. Not that one, the other one]  (Read 58311 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle/[1st Cycle~A routine job]
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »

"Naturally, my dear, but simple and honest folk may not be privy to all the layers of meaning which an arcanist's babbling could contain. His madness could very well conceal a disturbing truth which could only be divined by one with similar knowledge, such as myself," Samara offers while pointedly ignoring Aldeth's comment, "Why, even the slightest clue could be the key to solving this puzzle. And I must say, what I have already gleaned from your description of him and his activities has raised more questions than it answered."

What about the ruins that the man visited? Have I heard anything of them, either in older histories or more recent accounts?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 04:16:30 pm »

Akira seeing how she isn't needed in the conversation nibbles on the food she was given.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 04:43:20 pm »

The Baron (Who has still not offered his name) sighs deeply, as if you are forcing him into a heavy burden.

"Well, it's madness, right? He was always babbling about holes."

He gives Samara a look.

"He'll say things like-there are Holes in the world. Holes in the sky. Holes in reality. About how he found the right hole, but he left from the wrong hole. Mirrors reflects the wrong way. Everything is left when it should be right-everything is wrong when it should be strong.

He has often repeated a story about the ocean, and sand castles he built as a child, and how no matter how high he builds, the waves will always wash them away. He usually cries when he tells this story. He's told this to everyone, hundreds of times...even though there are no beaches near here, not for many leagues.

He also often speaks of a beautiful woman I have heard him refer to as 'Coda'. How he misses her, and wishes she would help him...find a way back home. Then he'll go off and say how there is no home, that his home is now nothing and nothing is now his home, not a speck of dust, not even a dream, the nothing is his home, he has no home...etc, etc.

It's all quite depressing, really."

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 04:48:36 pm »

Somewhat subdued, Samara replies, "I see. And, I think, I see. We'll take the job -- assuming none of you are in objection," she asks, glancing at her companions, pausing to glare at the nasty little bird-like thing (honestly, if she didn't miss her guess... humans really would copulate with anything), though she couldn't fault it for recognizing its place in this conversation.

3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 04:53:56 pm »

Sarco listened to the barons explanations of the man with a low interest. None of this information would help them find the man. Tapping his claws on the table in thought he nodded and then spoke "Indeed, I have no objection. So long as the price is correct. Now though, do you know of anyone in town this man had a attachment to or might know more about where we can find him? Also you said that he created strange creatures, are they a danger to us? And do you know anything about them?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

"Attachment? Well, there are certain farmers he likes more than others. As for finding him, don't worry! He'll show up eventually. He always does, almost every day-though in different places. Unless you've got a better idea than me, just hang around main street and wait till someone starts yelling.

I've told them all to expect you, very serious and highly experienced...uh, Mad Wizard Calmers.

The creatures. Well, I can't say if they are dangerous. It seems as soon as the man showed up with his stone, there have been strange sightings-only at night. Masked and hooded creatures that shunned light and move without making a sound, sneaking and peering about. I've ordered the militia to man the bonfires and instructed people to lock their doors...I don't think they've harmed anyone yet. No one has vanished at least, thankfully.

As for the price, I think 120 gold pieces should cover a job well done, yes?"
He says very hastily.

((For reference, it takes 1 gold piece to leave comfortably a day.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

Kawtari had been humming softly. At the almost-squabble, she interjected.
<We can argue over who gets the books when we get them. They might have madness rather than spells in them. Things best left unread.>
She spoke to the baron again, flicking one claw against another. Tap, tap.
"The mad thing is right, at least in parts. Real doesn't always apply to what is. It leaks in through cracks. Drip, drip, and the unreal is.

What kind of strange creatures would these be, Barony?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 05:17:41 pm »

Akira shrinks at the look. She starts eating faster.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 05:21:04 pm »

Do I remember anything which might match the rather... limited descriptions of those creatures?

"Mm. 120 gold per individual, you mean? Yes, that would be an acceptable base fee for a successful completion of the task, much like what my family pays members of groups of talent akin to our own for their services in similar matters. However, I do believe that a conditional fee for unexpected circumstances would not be out of order -- after all, if he there is any truth to his ramblings, as I fear there might be, the task could be substantially more dangerous than it appears."

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:13 pm »

The Baron shrugs.

"Different people see different things. We all agree that look like mask, hooded, hunched over men. They move very quietly. Our blacksmith can personally attest that he saw one crawling over the roof of his shop without making a sound. Some people say they bring a chill in the air when they're about-others that the wizard commands them as spies, or perhaps they are looking for the wizard themselves. Some say they can turn smoke, vanish into thin air, and slip through keyholes. Men have told me the animals act peculiar around them. Others that they can turn into animals. It's said if you don't go looking for them, they won't go looking for you."

Do I remember anything which might match the rather... limited descriptions of those creatures?

"Mm. 120 gold per individual, you mean? Yes, that would be an acceptable base fee for a successful completion of the task, much like what my family pays members of groups of talent akin to our own for their services in similar matters. However, I do believe that a conditional fee for unexpected circumstances would not be out of order -- after all, if he there is any truth to his ramblings, as I fear there might be, the task could be substantially more dangerous than it appears."

The Baron clutches his wineglass tightly, as if afraid you might steal it.

"Oh, um, yes. Certainly...

As for conditional fees...surely, if you forced to undergo particularly rigorous circumstances, I can offer another 30 gold...each."

He taps his chin once, a slow and delicate manuever. "I'd also be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in this...magic rock. His powers do seem to have gotten much more active since he showed up with it. I might offer a sizable bonus if you find it-perhaps a trade, your pick from my personal cache of treasures. And parting him with, it's probably for the best, isn't it?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 05:35:06 pm »

The bird smiled as much as a bird can. Not much, but those strange eyes seemed to light.

"Hold on, before discussing gold to shine and clink. What do you want us to do, Baron? We're good at killing. Less so at talking. Wizards are dangerous, especially mad ones."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 05:43:04 pm »

"I do not think that it could be particularly more strenuous to capture the wizard alive rather then kill him small one. If it was possible to have talked him down certainly those he knows in this town would have done so by now. Physically capturing him is what we have been brought in for yes?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 05:45:24 pm »

"Well...I thought you would know what to do!

Maybe you can calm him down. Or uh...disable him? And we'll send a message for an Arbiter or two to take him away-they really are trained to handle mad mages. I would have certainly gone to the proper authorities otherwise but, well...you were here, and I know people of your sort do things quietly. In ways that won't embarrass me at court. You know.

I don't personally think he's dangerous, or at least he wasn't. No doubt there is a deeper mystery here, and really, that's what we hire people like you for-to find out whats wrong and fix it."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »

Kawtari spoke in Draconic.
<If we capture him, we will bind him, then break his arms. If he is touched by the Wrong, he may be too dangerous to leave to chance. It will be safer for the people here, too, if the mad one is broken.>

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 06:20:19 pm »

"How barbaric. No, we will simply talk to him. If he is not amenable, it will be no great matter to restrain him, I'm sure."

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58