Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Outpost - Exile [Interest check]  (Read 11998 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost - Exile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »

I'm updating my plan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:05:03 pm by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:08 pm »

Updated list, forgot with that previous update being so long.

Turn 3 July 2076

Outpost Overview

Ship: DNS Settler

Hull Design: Survey Vessel

Resources 102/190 RU
    Size 7/100
    Mass 20+39=50
    Power Use 10.5/0 MW
    Cargo 10/10

Installed Modifications:
        Expanded superstructure x2

Installed Modules:
        Focus Detection Array (Integrated; no mass/size, 2 MW)
        Modular Advanced Lab(integrated; no mass/size, 3 MW)
        Small Cargo bay (Integrated; no mass/size; cargo still has mass)
        Command Center (electronic central computer)
        Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons)

Cargo:
        My First Factory kit (Turn 4)

Warning!
    Life Support
    Power
    Thrusters

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 02:22:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure the design as I've shown it here works. In fact, if my calculations are correct, it even includes sufficient space to install DALES, though unfortunately it doesn't include sufficient power. Never mind that though, since the shortage is so small (0.5 power) that we can resolve it by adding an RTG, or by simply not using everything simultaneously, because we don't have enough crew for that anyway.

Since the general plan was to stay in orbit, I think we should also grab the domes. They're light, fast to deploy and we'll need them if we want to set up a base on a planet fast. After all, otherwise we would need our shuttle as the only livable space, which really wouldn't work out.

Spoiler: Plan (click to show/hide)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »

Since the general plan was to stay in orbit, I think we should also grab the domes. They're light, fast to deploy and we'll need them if we want to set up a base on a planet fast. After all, otherwise we would need our shuttle as the only livable space, which really wouldn't work out.

Any cargo shuttle life support will be minimal.  A week at most for a single pilot.  More then enough time to land and unload, ferry down passengers and do some walking around or whatever, but not long term habitation.

I looked over your Plan, if you want to combine the two cargo bays into one build order you can.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:08 pm »

So yeah, we need the domes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »

Do we want to forget about the bonus RU and instead grab the domes and the DALES?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 10:10:10 am »

[]Build Orders:
        []Slot 1 : - Fusion Fragment Thruster
        []Slot 2 :- Biodome
        []Slot 3 : - Giant Fuel tank

Research: Nuclear lightbulb
Hero choice :  Jacquin Velantes
Cargo : None yet
Event : Domes and Dales

I noticed something. The cargo list doesn't have a lifesupport system listed.

We don't have an enormous amount of resources, unfortunately. My draft doesn't even have spares, though quite a lot redundant vehicles that can be replaced by them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:09:37 am by 10ebbor10 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 10:18:29 am »

Ditch a D&D, replace it with spares and lifesupport?
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:00 am »

Ditch a D&D, replace it with spares and lifesupport?
Presumably, yes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:18 am »

I'd go with one less D&D vehicle for spares and extra air so we can pressurize at least one dome. Presumably, we can also take a small atmosphere recycling kit to set up for reprocessing air for whatever we need.

[]Build Orders:
        []Slot 2 :- Biodome

+1 to this, especially anything that gets us better shuttlecraft. Also, I'll +1 to completely eliminating reentry for our spaceship(maybe we can eventually just have it splat down for scrap)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »

Here is your modification!  Another outpost is glad to take those parts.

Interstellar flight conversion. Cost -15 RU (refund). Mass -5 units. Size -5 (refund). While all outpost ships are designed to survive the long flight, they also have more traditional reentry systems, rockets, high tensile strength parachutes, crumple zones and other devices to slow down and crash with some level of grace.  By not installing these you can save a small amount of mass, and resources and use the extra space for something else.  Some other means for traveling to the surface will need to be devised, as the former 'falling brick' will now become an 'Egg shot out of a cannon'.  Nothing but burning scrap will survive an encounter with a planetary body.

Here is the start of an atmosphere creator, making a scrubber and taking a hydroponic system would be possible as well.  You could research a generic central system to supply your areas.  Bringing some extra air would give you a measure of time to build an adapted device as well.

Oxygen Extractor. Cost 5 RU. Size 2, Mass 4. Oxygen is a must for human life, but it is not always conveniently available in a breathable format. Recycling units can also break down, and do not offer a solution to expand a population. This all-purpose unit can process any atmosphere containing even trace amounts of the precious gas, and separate it from the other - probably lethal – compounds present. Requires 10 MW of power, produces up to 5 000 liters of pure oxygen a day, provided high enough concentrations in input material.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »

I was wondering if we where going to be able to get materials back...
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 02:00:35 pm »

I'd go with one less D&D vehicle for spares and extra air so we can pressurize at least one dome. Presumably, we can also take a small atmosphere recycling kit to set up for reprocessing air for whatever we need.
That list was only a rough sketch, so yes, it's subject to change. Especially depending on the research done on the Nuclear propulsion shuttles.

[]Build Orders:
        []Slot 2 : - Biodome

+1 to this, especially anything that gets us better shuttlecraft. Also, I'll +1 to completely eliminating reentry for our spaceship(maybe we can eventually just have it splat down for scrap)
[/quote]
I no longer support my own proposal. We have to do the Interstellar flight conversion first, so that we can do useful stuff with the additional space.

Changed proposal

[]Build Orders:
        []Slot 3 : - Interstellar Flight Conversion

Oxygen Extractor. Cost 5 RU. Size 2, Mass 4. Oxygen is a must for human life, but it is not always conveniently available in a breathable format. Recycling units can also break down, and do not offer a solution to expand a population. This all-purpose unit can process any atmosphere containing even trace amounts of the precious gas, and separate it from the other - probably lethal – compounds present. Requires 10 MW of power, produces up to 5 000 liters of pure oxygen a day, provided high enough concentrations in input material.
Yeah, I put that in the cargo manifest.

On a side note, I really hope that we can split cargo. Otherwise the factory is stuck in space.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2015, 02:14:35 pm »

I believe we can, as it's abstracted to be packed away in modules in several shipping crates, but don't quote me on that.

[]Build Orders:
        []Slot 3 : - Interstellar Flight Conversion

Alright, I'll change my vote to this then
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10