Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 112081 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game started)
« Reply #555 on: March 13, 2015, 09:23:25 am »

Why would monks use weapons? That like, ruins the point of playing a monk.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 13, 2015, 09:28:57 am »

Yeah, and Akira could still have attacked the medium slimes-they don't split anymore, as I mentioned. She'd still be against their resistance, but she'd be doing *something*.

Or maybe she could have pushed the cart over it, or humm, searched the tool chest I mentioned in the pre-battle description for a mining tool-a hammer, or pick or something? Oops, spoiler.

Really, I can't make it any easier if you don't pay attention to these things.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2015, 09:33:01 am »

In hindsight I should probably have retreated and thrown my javelins at them :P
Love, scriver~

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 13, 2015, 09:34:16 am »

Piercing turned out badly.

...Is that how they breed? They move over a sharp rock or something, then, bam, double slime!
God save us if one ever finds itself in a pin factory.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:22 am »

Yeah, and Akira could still have attacked the medium slimes-they don't split anymore, as I mentioned. She'd still be against their resistance, but she'd be doing *something*.

Or maybe she could have pushed the cart over it, or humm, searched the tool chest I mentioned in the pre-battle description for a mining tool-a hammer, or pick or something? Oops, spoiler.

Really, I can't make it any easier if you don't pay attention to these things.
I actually don't recall the chest being mentioned. And I can't see the map since I'm on my phone again so I wouldn't be able to know I could roll the cart over the slime.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:48 am »

The group observes the large double doors leading into the mine are ajar, the left one banging steadily in the wind. There are no living people visible-only a few pieces of equipment and material buried under the snow-they can see an outline of a wheelbarrow, a cart, and a few piles of metal bars, what might be a toolchest. It's odd they were not moved into the shelter when the storms began. Still, the deep ruts of the cart track lead right into it.

Your memory is poor!

Heck, Akira could have just smacked it with dual wielded iron bars in her fists and done decent damage. And been sort of badass...

What, you think I described this stuff in detail, for no reason?

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 13, 2015, 09:41:40 am »

Mechanically speaking, at low levels weapons do a bit more damage (1 more damage on average for most weapons, 2 more if using a spear or quaterstaff) and offer a range of damage types for use. At higher levels... Well, if weapons of +1 incrimnanal improvement still exist monks suffer from their fists not getting access to that bonus. If you mean flavorwise... Well, monks cover a large verity of tropes. If you don't want to use weapons, that's fine mostly. However the ability to do so certainly doesn't ruin monks. Ninjas certainly use weapons. Shaolin monks famously use a wide verity of weapons (the book suggest that you reflavor existing weapons)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 13, 2015, 10:07:42 am »

The group observes the large double doors leading into the mine are ajar, the left one banging steadily in the wind. There are no living people visible-only a few pieces of equipment and material buried under the snow-they can see an outline of a wheelbarrow, a cart, and a few piles of metal bars, what might be a toolchest. It's odd they were not moved into the shelter when the storms began. Still, the deep ruts of the cart track lead right into it.

Your memory is poor!

Heck, Akira could have just smacked it with dual wielded iron bars in her fists and done decent damage. And been sort of badass...

What, you think I described this stuff in detail, for no reason?
Well... yeah.

Mechanically speaking, at low levels weapons do a bit more damage (1 more damage on average for most weapons, 2 more if using a spear or quaterstaff) and offer a range of damage types for use. At higher levels... Well, if weapons of +1 incrimnanal improvement still exist monks suffer from their fists not getting access to that bonus. If you mean flavorwise... Well, monks cover a large verity of tropes. If you don't want to use weapons, that's fine mostly. However the ability to do so certainly doesn't ruin monks. Ninjas certainly use weapons. Shaolin monks famously use a wide verity of weapons (the book suggest that you reflavor existing weapons)
Ninja also aren't very close to monks. Like, at all. Ninja like are completely unfair and come out of no where.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 13, 2015, 10:11:11 am »

Piercing turned out badly.

...Is that how they breed? They move over a sharp rock or something, then, bam, double slime!
God save us if one ever finds itself in a pin factory.

They're resistant to blunt damage, which means half damage on all attacks, so that didn't exactly work out either. Attacking them with piercing weapons from afar might've resulted in more jelly (one at a time if we focused our fire) but at least they wouldn't have been able to hit back and kill Tadhg :P
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:41 am »

Best tactic would have been the whole party tossing lit torches at range. :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 13, 2015, 10:14:52 am »

Ninja also aren't very close to monks.
I mean, the book specifically references ninjas when talking about monks. And there is a archetype for ninjas.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:16 am »

Best tactic would have been the whole party tossing lit torches at range. :P

No, that sounds pretty dumb. I'll just wrestle them instead :P
Love, scriver~

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 13, 2015, 10:30:15 am »

Ninja also aren't very close to monks.
I mean, the book specifically references ninjas when talking about monks. And there is a archetype for ninjas.
The book is wrong. I know my stuff about ninja. And stop adding the S, it's always ninja like deer is always deer. Bugs the shit out of me...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:29 am »

According to wikipedia it can be ether ninja or ninjas. And in the D&D book it refers to them as ninjas.

Q.E.D.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2015, 10:38:03 am »

I think plural Ninja are referred to as a sudden harsh exclamation cut off in mid-word, followed by a thud.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 66