Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159936 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1380 on: November 03, 2017, 06:29:15 am »

I'm imagining a hunter in bone armor fighting a Rathalos, pleading for help as he desperately rolls out of the way of a vicious attack while three hunters in elaborate and expensive armors play vuvuzelas.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 03, 2017, 03:46:38 pm »

I told my tenant I'd be annexing his PS4 when the demo or whatever comes out.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »

Apparently there'll be a PS4 beta in December.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 03, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »

Holy shit

The Nergigante is sooooo awesome, but, I don't feel like it's elder dragon material...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:09 pm »

Holy shit

The Nergigante is sooooo awesome, but, I don't feel like it's elder dragon material...
Oh yeah, that looks so damn cool.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:48 pm »

I agree, the Elder Dragon title should be reserved for the most awesome. The prime example being Kirin, of course.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:43 pm »

I agree, the Elder Dragon title should be reserved for the most awesome. The prime example being Kirin, of course.
Awesome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 04, 2017, 12:01:10 am »

The Kirin was awesome, I actually felt bad killing it when I fought it the first time, at least till it kept zapping me to death...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 04, 2017, 12:04:35 am »

Yeah, when I think of dragons I think unicorn.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 04, 2017, 01:36:26 am »

Elder Dragon is really just a classification that means "tough end game fight" (granted, not all of them are super difficult, but almost all of them are considered end-game). If Nergigante is difficult enough (and its regeneration mechanic certainly seems like it'll be a challenge), it's most certainly worthy of the title.

I could really care less about any Elder Dragons, personally. I'm just happy they seem to be adding more Brute Wyverns. Of all the monsters in the MH series, the Brute Wyverns have always felt like the most inspired and the most unique. Brachydios, Uragaan, Barroth, Diablos, Duramboros, Glavenus... they all feel distinct from one-another, unlike Leviathans and Flying Wyverns, which often feel like they fall into similar patterns.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:50:49 pm by Nighthawk »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 04, 2017, 11:01:01 am »

Brute Wyverns are some of my favourite, the Uraagan and Diablos being two of my top five monsters actually. Diablos was actually my first monster that took tons of time and effort to beat, like not just rushing at it 4-5 times, I mean actually practicing fighting it and finding the best ways to break it's stuff and timing dodges with 99.2% accuracy, figuring out how far into combos I could go during it's animations, best skills etc. I think it was six weeks after I first fought it I finally beat it. So glad it's in World.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 04, 2017, 03:05:44 pm »

Dev interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fpCye2wx8

Most of it is noncommittal dev speak so I can summarize:

1. You can replay the cutscenes with a gallery just like in previous monhun games. I assume this means you can update it with your new armours too. So sweet. It's a feature that won't be included in at launch though.

2. The Nergigante's armour set will reflect its nature.

3. They say content and DLC content should be sizable and to trust them on it based on their history for it.

4. Squads: Just watch the video. long answer. Basically mini guilds.

5. The preorder armours are layered armours that you wear over your existing armour. Just skins that don't affect the stats.

6. Armour customization is unlocked after HR.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 09, 2017, 05:52:24 pm »

Okay, the PS4 beta is out and I played it quite extensively. I'll give my impressions:

1. The graphics and sound design are fricking glorious. Holy shit Monster Hunter never felt or sounded so damn good. Playing HBG especially made me appreciate how amazing the new clarity and depth is. It's really hard to describe properly but the monsters feel so much more intimidating now and the fights are a hell of a lot more intense. This is not a statement I make lightly. I'm not IGN where I praise every Call of Duty's graphics are revolutionary. When I say this one looks and feels incredible, I mean this is truly the stuff of legend. There's also some subtle depth of field trickery going on that makes everything have a great sense of scale and depth. So everything feels "in your face" and it rocks.

2. I really like all the environments. During the final fight where I was chasing super jaggi around with 3 other randoms, we ran all over the map. There was one particularly fun part where super jaggi ran into a vine / net area not unlike say... MH4 where the spider is. Except here because it's so damn heavy, it can't properly move on the net so it just flops around. And every time it flops around it makes waves on the nets so it knocks everyone around. It's super fun.

3. HBG has never felt so damn good. Seriously. It's so damn good. I think all ranged weapons feel amazing now with the absurdly good sound design and graphics. It felt so damn good. I really cannot stress it enough. The force of impacts. The damage numbers. Oh man the damage numbers feel so good.

4. Charge blade also got buffed a craptonne. Not only can you still charge the shield, but you can even charge the sword now too. When you charge the sword, every attack now does impact damage. Yup. EVERY. ATTACK. It's bonkers. And they gave it some slides and stuff. It's very fun.

5. LS doesn't seem to be very good in my limited usage of it. I think they nerfed fade slash as you can't aim where you want to jump to any more. You can only jump backwards. This severely impacts LS viability unless I messed something up, which is likely.

6. You know that thing Barroth likes to do where it throws mud everywhere? It's even more annoying here because all the mud and gunk is actually rendered now, so it can straight up make it really hard to see.

7. Did I mention the graphics? Because there's a superb sense of scale and immediacy now. Seeing a monster turn to face you and prepare to charge is exhilarating as it's so obvious how damn big it is and how much it's going to hurt. I was screaming and yelling in the living room as super jaggi chased me down.

8. Hunter movement is amazing now. It's very fluid. They keep improving it and this iteration is the best so far. You basically just hold down the run button and go wherever you want.

Overall thoughts. I have some nitpicky problems with it, but I did manage to solve most of it by fiddling with the options and control settings. The only other issue I had was how much stuff was on the screen at once so I had no clue what was going on a lot of the time. It didn't really impede the hunts all that much though and I suspect in the full game there will be a full tutorial so I can learn most of the extra stuff. Also some of the monsters animations can get janky at times and I've noticed some long distance rendering issues on the PS4.

It's damn good.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 09, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »

The worst part about MH5 demo is that most of us can't play it =p

Should we make a new topic in advance?
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95