Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159929 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1365 on: February 09, 2017, 12:54:42 am »

For most of the average-speed and slower weapons, though, Tigrex, Grimclaw Tigrex and Hellblade Glavenus are basically still the kings. In terms of raw killing power nothing matches 'em.

Funnily-enough, elemental greatswords can do more damage than raw ones on lv3 charges due to their innate high elemental values and the high elemental multiplier on the lv3 charges.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 30, 2017, 11:42:33 pm »

So my friend tells me that Deviant grinding isn't really a problem in MHXX.

One, because new deviants are only 5 levels instead of 10 and they give way more tickets.

Two, no one uses them because apparently the final boss armour is the most op thing ever.

It has a shittonne of slots and two new skills. One that gives +2  to all skills so you only need +8 in total to activate any +10 skills and one that doubles all the points on your talisman including decorations. Yes, you read that right, including decorations. Essentially a talisman with +4 sharpness and 3 slots can get you razor sharp and sharpness+1

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 31, 2017, 12:16:55 am »

On top of the talisman craziness, it also has a lot of slots on the armor pieces itself, meaning you can easily gem in a couple more skills. Depending on what talismans you have on hand, you can basically get any four skills of your choosing.

It's kind of cool in a way, since it lets people finally make some skill combos they haven't had easy access to, but at the same time... damn. It seems a little TOO versatile.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 31, 2017, 11:01:24 am »

I must be the only one who hasn't tried getting any sharpness skills. Then again I consider myself fairly casual, despite liking the game so much. Never tried doing any mixed armor sets or any of that jazz, even though that seems to be the draw for lots of people.

Just poked into Generations a couple days ago. I still haven't made much progress in that game. I don't even think I've done much of the online stuff even.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 01, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »

Oh, I forgot there was a Monster Hunter thread here. Been following the game in other forums recently.

But yeah, it looks like with the next mainline entry, the series will finally be fixing all its stupid little accessibility issues and changing for the better. This will probably lead to a massive change in the kind of community Monster Hunter attracts (as well as a massive boost in fans, with any luck).

My only concern is that this huge transition will come with a cost to the amount of content available in the game. Porting a monster from the old-style games to MHW's model looks like a daunting task, and not just because of the better textures and models; tons of new behaviors and movements have to be added considering how many cool interactions there will be with other monsters and the environment.

Monster Hunter has always been a game series with what I consider lots of content, so I would be sorely disappointed if this monumental game has only half the monster roster of previous games.

Edit - They'd better include Duramboros.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 01, 2017, 03:14:15 pm »

I am so goddamn stoked for World you have no idea. All the changes they've been doing all look incredible.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to go charge blade again this time. I finally get to see it in HD. And of course, my trusty HBG for high level quests because going melee against the toughest monsters is an exercise in stupidity.

This time I can aim with the mouse. Time to get wrecked, monster boys.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 01, 2017, 03:37:49 pm »

Been contemplating making a new MH thread just for MH5 because it'll be quite different to the previous entries.

There's going to be a preview demo thingy available in December if you have a PS4.

Waiting for PC release date myself. Got a Nintendo Switch expecting a MH game to come out on it only to find out that they're making it a PC game.
My only concern is that this huge transition will come with a cost to the amount of content available in the game. Porting a monster from the old-style games to MHW's model looks like a daunting task, and not just because of the better textures and models; tons of new behaviors and movements have to be added considering how many cool interactions there will be with other monsters and the environment.
I always felt the old monsters needed a huge rework anyways. If you see new monsters from recent generations then compare them to older ones you can tell that design and animations etc. have been vastly improved over time. If they start bringing back old monsters they better rework the hell out of them so they're familiar but 'better'.

An example of this is Lagiacrus in Generations. There's no water battles so they reworked him to be more interesting on land and even gave him more attacks.

If I am worried about anything it's DLC. In all previous iterations (that I've palyed) additional content has been free, but already we're seeing pre-purchase DLC.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 01, 2017, 05:10:02 pm »

IIRC they've already confirmed that only like, 4-5 monsters are returning. The rest will be new.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 01, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »

World is going to be awesome, quite sad they're working mostly with new monsters though. I was really, really, reaaaally hoping for the Zinogre, but I doubt it's happening... So far I've seen the Rathis, obviously they're never dropping them, Uragaan, Diablos, and Baroth. Baroth seemed rather random to bring back, but I guess it's so simple you don't have to put much work into it. I was really hoping Zinogre and Barioth came in, they'd look amazing in the new graphics and be a lot more fun to hunt with no eating arm pump getting you hit by their near OHKs that could easily be dodged otherwise. Also a little meh at the DB having that Naruto run mode, I guess it's fine, every weapon got a lil more cartoony imo, but they're way less clunky than before, which is great.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 01, 2017, 06:39:00 pm »

World is going to be awesome, quite sad they're working mostly with new monsters though. I was really, really, reaaaally hoping for the Zinogre, but I doubt it's happening... So far I've seen the Rathis, obviously they're never dropping them, Uragaan, Diablos, and Baroth. Baroth seemed rather random to bring back, but I guess it's so simple you don't have to put much work into it. I was really hoping Zinogre and Barioth came in, they'd look amazing in the new graphics and be a lot more fun to hunt with no eating arm pump getting you hit by their near OHKs that could easily be dodged otherwise. Also a little meh at the DB having that Naruto run mode, I guess it's fine, every weapon got a lil more cartoony imo, but they're way less clunky than before, which is great.
I just noticed that when you mentioned that.

Does that mean every weapon can run while having the weapon out now? My biggest advantage in sword and panic button is gone now.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »

Gotta be careful with that. One person's "clunky" is another's deliberate and punishing combat system. Hunter openings after certain moves and actions is one of the only things keeping this game's combat from devolving into mindless spam. If that were to happen, the main reason I've been sticking to monster hunter since the first game would be gone.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 02, 2017, 02:11:08 pm »

Gotta be careful with that. One person's "clunky" is another's deliberate and punishing combat system. Hunter openings after certain moves and actions is one of the only things keeping this game's combat from devolving into mindless spam. If that were to happen, the main reason I've been sticking to monster hunter since the first game would be gone.
From what I've been seeing, the movements and combat is virtually identical to how it's always been.

The only big difference in terms of the actual combat mechanics seem to be that dual blade running thing. I didn't even notice it at first. Oh, and the "you can move while eating things" shtick.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:31 pm »

DB Running, slightly less recoil for smaller hits and bounces, more roll based escapes from animations and chained attacks, easier ways to chain combos, it's making the combat more fluid, while not making it Ninja Gaiden style. I'm still going to have to choose perfect times to go in, but making a missed step or bouncing when I didn't think I would won't be so punishing, while being dumb still will. The eating while moving is a dream though, and the potions being gradual makes it even more like how I wanted. Worlds would be perfect if not for then reusing so few monsters.

Also, my cartoony comment was based on the Naruto running and Levi back spin thing for DB, the big strike down thing with LS, wall running of the bow, and the insect glaive in general.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 02, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYAp19LNCI

It actually looks like they took a lot of moves from Hunter Arts and just put them in as standard.

I'm going to miss the overpowered prowler mode. RIP my piercing boomerang with invincible cat.

Edit: Watching that hunting horn clip reminds me of the time we Bay12ers played together. And we all played hunting horn to buff a guy who was still in like low rank or something. So he had to fight the monster himself but the three of us were there cheering him with our instruments.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »

Oh yeah, that was so great. So much fun.
It was the best. I think none of us had any clue how hunting horn even worked so it was a bunch of dumbasses just flailing about.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95