Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160045 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2015, 08:36:43 pm »

Finally killed Gore. Switch axe is the best weapon ever. That DPS and that burst power. Never used axe mode for anything though. Is there any situation to even use the axe mode?

All the time I used the thing, I always go for sword mode.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:17 pm »

I almost won a 2ds on a Stacker arcade game when I was playing darts the other day and now I've got the taste.

Do you think a 120 dollars 3ds XL from ebay is worth it for just MH4U (And probably other stuff eventually?  Pokemans!)  I've only played the very first monster hunter and while it was fun for a long time I eventually got fed up with the pace.  I've heard the new one is a lot faster and smoother though. 

Probably a silly place to ask, but should I get it?
Shoes...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »

I almost won a 2ds on a Stacker arcade game when I was playing darts the other day and now I've got the taste.

Do you think a 120 dollars 3ds XL from ebay is worth it for just MH4U (And probably other stuff eventually?  Pokemans!)  I've only played the very first monster hunter and while it was fun for a long time I eventually got fed up with the pace.  I've heard the new one is a lot faster and smoother though. 

Probably a silly place to ask, but should I get it?

This game tempts me to get a 3DS.

Tempts.

I'm still torn, though. When you can easily buy 10+ Steam games for $100, a game system and a single game seems like a pretty crappy deal, ya know?
I've been with the MH series since its first game. I bought my psp and my 3ds just for the MH games(although i found other games i like too). I'm poor, but I knew this was a good investment for entertainment because I tend to put hundreds of hours into those games. My playtime on this one is already shamefully high.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2015, 08:51:17 pm »

My first 3ds was a 2ds (lols) but after playing on the 3dsXL I could never go back to the tiny screens on the 2ds or 3ds (they have the same screen size right?). I feel the controls are slightly more conveniently placed on the 2ds because you hold it a bit more like a normal controller, but it's still really cramped and not much better than holding the other systems. I know there's acceseorries to add grips to the 3ds to make it feel like a controller but I haven't seen one for the 3dsXL yet, but when I do all my woes will be gone.

Plus, the C-stick comes in handy for monster hunter when you want to move the camera around while running, frees up space on the touch screen for other functions. Z buttons can be used to access chat quickly or to quickly toggle which monster you have locked (though I do with it had a different function). If you use the 3d at all then the face tracking 3d is much more pleasant to use than what's on the 2ds.

2ds is cheaper but can't fold in so it's actually harder to fit in your pocket. Pros and cons.

I just double checked your poost and saw you're getting the old 3dsXL and not the new one. I played over 200 hours of MH3U on the 3dsXL so 120 dollars for the system is a pretty good deal. You just won't have quite as many neat features but it's still entirely playable.

EDIT: As for the new monster hunter itself it probably has the best singleplayer experience out of all the monster hunters I've seen (I actually got into monster hunter because of some Let's Plays on the LP Archive so I saw the singleplayer for some of them). Plus, you can play online with people which is pretty fun even with PUGs (I haven't encountered any trolls, myself). The addition of verticality in the levels is akin to the addition of underwater segments from 3u except completely awesome and not shitty. The game looks just as beautiful as any of the other MH games which is impressive considering it's on a handheld. Even so I would have loved to have played a game like this on a PS4 or something.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:55:21 pm by OzyTheSage »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:31 pm »

I literally bought my 3DS for monster hunter. Seriously, its like the only game I have on the system. Totally worth it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2015, 10:25:04 pm »

I went ahead and #yolo bought it.  I've been cutting down on my spending anyway, it evens out.

Weird question.  I remember the original MH1 had a strict quest-based system without any real open roaming.  I also vaguely remember a few instances of high-profile monsters (Rathalos, et al) appearing unscripted in missions that didn't have to do with them.  Is that the case in MH4U?  I dun wanna know exactly what I'm up against in every game you know.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:36:10 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:47 am »

I went ahead and #yolo bought it.  I've been cutting down on my spending anyway, it evens out.

Weird question.  I remember the original MH1 had a strict quest-based system without any real open roaming.  I also vaguely remember a few instances of high-profile monsters (Rathalos, et al) appearing unscripted in missions that didn't have to do with them.  Is that the case in MH4U?  I dun wanna know exactly what I'm up against in every game you know.
Harvesting Tour quests can have monsters show up and are pretty much open gathering quests. If you want unexpected, expeditions are for you, the map is randomly generated and up to 5 random monsters will show up during the quest. Also you get unexpected stuff in most quests at higher ranks, things like other bosses showing up, or the one you were currently fighting suddenly contracting the Frenzy virus and becoming much nastier, sometimes you get Apex version of some monsters showing up and then sh!t tends to get real.

If you're looking for surprises and you're coming from MH1 then MH4U will have a LOT in store for you.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2015, 12:21:00 am »

Just about any high rank quest or greater are 'unstable' which means that a 'guest monster' will likely appear at any point, typically at least 5 minutes after mission start. The guest monster that you get may depend on the area you're questing in and you might not get the same one every time during the same mission (sometimes they don't even show up at all).

Expeditions are an extension of 3u's "free hunt' things and are more exiting because the areas are pieced together almost Diablo style. Well, not quite on that level, but it's completely different to how any area has worked as far as I'm aware. Each expedition you go on will have different 'rooms' connect in different ways. Unfortunately they missed the opportunity to have rooms branching off into multiple other rooms, unless that's something that occurs in ranks higher than what I'm at right now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2015, 02:39:41 am »

All these egg delivery quests make me want to kill myself. They're so incredibly boring.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2015, 03:13:09 am »

Fun fact: There was an event quest in MHTri to collect 3 eggs. After the first egg, a Rathian would spawn to harass you while you transported more.

After the second, they wouldn't stop respawning.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2015, 08:26:57 am »

Transporter Pro is your friend. Steam fish and dairy before a transport quest for the chance at Felyne Lander plus a couple other skills that might help transporter. Felyne Lander lets you take routes that normally let you skip around large chunks of the level, even after they start getting blocked off.

There was a set posted earlier that had transport pro and marathon runner, which may help. Transport pro / Marathon Runner
Head: Ludroth Cap (Gunner Version) (+3 stam; Non-gunner version is +2)
Chest: Loc Lac (+3 transportr)
Arms: Gypceros (+3 stam)
Waist: Kut-Ku (+3 stam)
Legs: Loc Lac (+5 transportr)
Jewels: Sprinter Jewel +1, Sprinter Jewel +1 (If you used Ludroth Gunner cap don't need this), Transportr Jewel
Of course, this doesn't make them any less boring, just helps get them done quicker.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2015, 08:36:21 am »

I think you can also bomb the rocks that magically appear to block the shorter path but haven't tried it yet.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2015, 08:46:03 am »

I think you can also bomb the rocks that magically appear to block the shorter path but haven't tried it yet.
Why did I not think to try that?

There's even a part in the story where they sort of demonstrate something like that...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2015, 08:51:49 am »

If it helps, imagine being chased by a Rathian or something...
It will put the spring into your step... :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:10 am »

Hm...I do like how most village quests that aren't a hunt quest will either unlock something or upgrades something.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 95