Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67

Author Topic: [FEF] [IC Thread] The Path to Liberty - Chapter 1  (Read 68701 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: [FEF] [IC Thread] The Path to Liberty - Prologue
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:10 am »

Tirena herself had had the servants set up a set of targets. Slowly, she drew back the string of her bow and set arrows thudding into each.
Thunk.

"It's called Dark because it's creepy. Summoning a horde of insects to crawl on and bite people? Euwch."
Thunk.

"You know, they said I had the potiential to use magic, but being blind kind of shoots that-" Thunk. "-down. Maybe I could use staffs, but would you honestly want me waving a stick close to your head?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2015, 01:16:17 pm »

Vara had been watching the courtyard from next to a pillar, not participating in the conversation, simply watching. A country where anyone could use dark magic... She shook her head. If only they'd gotten out sooner.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »

Yet another figure was stationed in the courtyard-- Kristii had made her way over to perch upon one of the walls of the courtyard, and was hanging off of the edge face-first and seemingly precariously in order to spy on the magic lesson.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:08 pm »

"For a blind lady you seem to have such an easy time shooting those targets, Ms. Tirena. I'd be fine with you waving a stick around my head... Presuming you had practiced with it first."

With the steady thunk of the arrows impacting their targets in her ears, Lilie looks over the tomes.

Come on, I can do this. Morde said I'm connected with it naturally becase of the vampire blood, I just have to try...

Placing her hands on the Druidic tome, she searched into herself, to the back of her mind, and there she found a small pool. The pool was dark. It made her wary, but she plunged in headfirst and pulled the magic out. It was incredibly difficult, she could only manage to grasp a small portion of that dark pool at a time, but it seemed to be enough. A small amount of smoke wafted up into the air and was dispersed by the breeze.

Trying the Ancient tome... Nothing. Perhaps Morde's presence was somehow interfering, perhaps she simply had no connection to it, but there was no reaction.

And at least, the Dread tome. Lilie was a bit worried, Dread magic was supposedly the type with the most raw power, but it was also unwieldy and difficult to control. Trying the same thing once more, the Dread tome almost ripped the magic she attempted to channel from her grasp. A large gash appeared on the table, and several small cuts appeared on her hands.

"Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow! This kinda hurts."

Thankfully, despite being painful, the wounds were shallow and didn't seem like they'd need to be looked at.
If she had been able to put more magic into the tome, and had attempted to do so... Well, she didn't want to think about what might have happened.

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »

Tirena paused as the sounds of pain reached her ears.
"Well, that's another benefit of archery. I've only ever met one man who shot himself with a bow."

"You alright, leechles?"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »

"That's a fairly-ow-good point. I'm alright-ow-it's just a bit painful. No-ow-thing life threatening."
The circle is complete.

F.O.E.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2015, 05:36:22 pm »

Charles sat in his chair, his arms resting on the arm rests. Whenever there was a switch he would shift in his seat, he wasn't used to sitting for so long, especially not in the morning. He did his best not to look bored as the morning proceding dragged on. While it was true that he wanted to help people, the concerns were all so petty that all he could do is say, "I'll look into it," and usher in the next villager. Naturally when Acacia walked in it was a welcome relief to the tedium.

"You're first name's... Acacia, right?" he asked as he wracked his brain. Acacia Bribush... he repeated mentally. It sounded familiar... Oh! "It's been a long time since that party, hasn't it?"

He almost apologized for the fate of her family but stopped himself; there was no need to bring that up and she probably didn't want his pity. He cleared his throat.

"So, what have you come here for?"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »

Shaking her hands about in the air to ward off the pain, Lilie asks Tirena about something that had been bothering her.

"How do you manage to hit your targets without your sight, anyway? Is it your hearing?
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2015, 07:33:58 pm »

"Hearing is a lot of it. Someone's tread gives a lot away about them. Rough weight. Height, from the length of their step. The clink of metal buckles, armour and weapons. That tells me where to aim. If they're talking, it's easy.

If you're trying really hard to listen to something, you shut your eyes, don't you? I've been like this for a very long time, and I had good hearing in the first place. There's a trick I learned to do..."

"...but a lady has to have some secrets."

"Smell helps, too. The zombies smelt rotten. The skeletons didn't smell of much. You smell mainly of sweat, a little of blood. Helps me to keep track of what's nearby, if not precisely. That answer your question?"

After she'd been poisoned, she'd been far too ill to leave a bed for a long time. She'd had nothing else to do than listen... well, she'd cried a lot and talked to the Princess, of course, but that didn't really count.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2015, 08:22:52 pm »

"Well enough. Maybe I'll try practicing that sort of skill one day... Though I'd never have a chance of even approaching your level, it may come in useful. Were you born without your sight, or did you lose it in an accident?"

This world was a lot more varied than Lilie was led to believe. Her memories had mostly returned but a few things were still hazy. She now knew she was raised in a small village near the border. Her father was a Molvonian scholar, her mother a Brettian huntress. She had had a younger sister too, though she didn't know what had happened to any of them. She had spotted a plume of smoke from the distance while out at a spot she liked to visit, and had returned to find the village razed and soldiers leaving it. They had nearly found her too, but she was lucky...

Presumably her family were all dead. She had cried herself to sleep the night she remembered it. By now, she had come to accept it. Perhaps her family were still alive? Unlikely as it was, it was possible.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:49:23 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »

"I was born with sight, same as you. When we was young, the princess shared some chocolate with me. Turned out the damn stuff was poisoned. The split dose was enough neither of us died, but it ruined my health and blinded me. Permanently, far as the doctors and priests could tell."

"Still, if it hadn't happened the Princess would be dead. I wear my bandage with pride."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:49 pm »

"That reminds me of something else I had wanted to ask... What is the princess like, personally?"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:50:18 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:33 pm »

Tirena returned to sending arrows downrange, firing them off as fast as possible.

"I'm probably -" thunk "a little-" thunk " biased in-." thunk"that regard."
The last arrow glanced off another and skittered off, bouncing away across the ground into a thicket.

"Ah, damnation. Do me a favour and fetch that, would you?"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »

Lilie examines her hands.

"The bleeding seems to have stopped so your arrow won't get dirty... Sure, I'll go get it. You didn't answer my question, though. if it's something you don't want to talk about... Please just say so"

Collects arrow and hands it back to Tirena.

"My teacher seems to have become preoccupied with something else anyway. If you miss, I'll collect your arrows for you. Not that I'll need to do so often... That last miss was a fluke."
The circle is complete.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »

((I was busy at work. I'm still at work, actually :X ))

Mordecai sighed and stacked the books into a neat pile.

: "I was afraid something like that might happen. You clearly have a talent for dark magic, but you need to learn how to control it before you can safely carry it in battle. As your skill improves, it will become easier. I would like you to practice with the druidic tome for now, until you can call upon the magic it contains at will. Leave the dread tome be for now."

: "How is your wound? Do you need to see one of the priests?"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67