Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33140 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 9:Landfall
« Reply #465 on: February 14, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »

Please remember to count bonuses, Aseaheru.

I just realised that if we take the two people off R&R and the spare from life support we can add an extra +5 to fixing the DCMS. I suggest we do that.

EDIT: Didn't we spend decades with our crew members designing potential bases to live on the planet? If some of our guys have already created underground base designs, we have 3 extra manpower to work with and Lisa can get a +20 bonus when making the truck. If we already have underground base designs, put those three crew members to work on fixing the DCMS and have Lisa work on the truck with a +20 bonus.

EDIT2: It may actually be in our interests to bring the cargo pods back so we can break them down for parts. Alternatively, we can just break them down on-site and bring the parts over with the truck.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:16:34 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 14, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »

If you look, I did count bonuses that mean anything at all.

And the designs dident achieve anything thanks to not knowing what the place was like.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 14, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »

Ok, I'm going to rule that you can have the three guys manning life support initiate wakeup cycles on anyone you want to wake up, so you don't need to add more people on that action. Just note that you're waking up x number of people and as long as life support is manned you'll have no issues(unless an event happens that makes it an issue :P) and they'll be awake and available next month.

Also, while motors of the size and power you're talking about are basic parts, what's NOT basic is battery packs powerful enough to hold a charge for a vehicle long enough to drive 17 km one way, empty cargo from one or two pods, and/or haul the cargo back 17 km. That's definitely an advanced part, which would mean either using up some advanced parts or stripping the engine, which will yield about .34 advanced parts and .22 basic parts, which is just enough to build the damn thing with re-purposed scrap for structural members.

And yeah, since the roll for underground bases on the way here was a fail nothing of note happened
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2015, 04:25:11 pm »

If you look, I did count bonuses that mean anything at all.
No you didn't. You didn't count Anna's morale boost and you didn't count Diggy Diggy Hole's effects.

And the designs dident achieve anything thanks to not knowing what the place was like.
So what? First of all, there are many scenarios that they would've made bases for: arctic planets, barren planets, hot planets, life planets, etc. Secondly, we don't need to know what the planet's like to build underground bases. In fact, that was what our entire plan revolved around considering we didn't bring any bring any habitation domes.

(Ninja'd.)

And yeah, since the roll for underground bases on the way here was a fail nothing of note happened
Damn. Well, we still have 1-3 guy(s) not doing anything, let's put them to work on the DCMS. Take 1 person off life support and 2 people off R&R and have them repair the DCMS.

Do we need Anna to have a Scouting & Exploration slot or do we already have one? If so then we can continue to have 2 guys in R&R while the guy 3 checks what it's like outside the ship.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:27:48 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »

No you didn't. You didn't count Anna's morale boost and you didn't count Diggy Diggy Hole's effects.
Anna's boost is for people she is working with.

Damn. Well, we still have 1-3 guy(s) not doing anything, let's put them to work on the DCMS.
We have two people not doing work, who are filling in for others so everyone gets a little bit of rest. Or atleast we do in the plan most people are OK with.
Do we need Anna to have a Scouting & Exploration slot or do we already have one?
We need Anna for that. Like we have Lisa for an manufacturing slot.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

Yup, if you build things like rovers or even just basic surveying equipment you can get a slot for Scout and Exploration, but if not it's either raw manpower or using Anna's scouting slot

Also, you guys are slightly misintepreting things with Raw Manpower. Using raw manpower is an additional action with it's own bonuses(or lack thereof).  Raw manpower also requires at least 6 people on a job, and you can reduce the penalty by adding 3 people per 5 point reductionFor reference, here's the actions you can take:

Manufacturing & Building' is all about constructing new equipment, such as vehicles, bots, special components, structurally reinforcing caverns, building transportation tubes, habitation domes, houses, factories, full-scale recycling plants and so forth. It also includes hauling stuff around. Each slot can accommodate a single project. That not enough? Expand your industry.

'Mining' is all about digging, digging and digging; for space, raw materials and so forth. Again, task per slot, no more.

Engineering actions deal with innovation, design and prototyping: when you need specialized equipment, need to modify an existing design or object, or want a prototype built without using factory time.

Then, you have 'Maintenance & Repair' Actions. It is assumed that the mission crew apply standard care to the machines they use, as parts of their daily routines. But sometimes, something breaks up and you need it fixed, of you wish to apply preventative measures in the form of extraordinary maintenance. One action can attempt repairs on any single piece of equipment or any single facility, but not more. Wish more done? Tough luck: learn to prioritize, or expand you maintenance & repair capacity.

Slot Conversions:
Every turn, A Manufacturing & Building action slot can be used up for a +15 bonus to Engineering-type object modifications or prototyping, or on another Manufacturing & Building action.

So if you want people to help Lisa build the prototype, that would be a M&B slot conversion using Raw Manpower(at a combined total of -5 if you want to use 6 dudes). And helping the exosuit would take 6 guys and have a base bonus of -20 separate of the exosuit bonus.

one other thing, VR-CAD only needs one person in a VR pod to function, though there IS a +5 bonus per 2 people working on a project in VR-CAD(though keep in mind you only have 6 pods, and the more pods used the less are available for entertainment purposes, which in turn reduces their effectiveness in keeping the crew happy and not tearing each other's throats out.)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 14, 2015, 10:06:23 pm »

If we put one person in the VR pods, lisa on the truck, we can put 21 people on the manpower action which should reduce the penalty enough.

We do not need a dedicated exploration slot really right now.

This is all theoretical, as I am still +1 for Aseaheru's plan, use the engine parts where necessary.

We really need those digging vehicles when we can.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:31 pm »

Alright, that's good enough for me. I'll cook the update and have it out in a bit

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 10:March-April 2076
« Reply #473 on: February 15, 2015, 12:15:50 am »

Outpost Chiron Statistics:

He-3 fuel:5.18 units(3.75 units enough to run reactor at 100% for 5 Earth Years)
 Basic Parts:0.78 containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only)
 Advanced Parts:2.05 Containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only)
 Scrap(shortfall)

Population:35 awake(including heroes)+47 in cryopods
 Population required to run equipment:8(3 life support, 1 Exosuit, 1 VR-CAD, 3 Damage Control & Machine Shop)

Life Support Capacity:Ship only
Food Production:Ship Hydroponics only

Power Used/Produced:23.5/37.5(50% power)

Cargo

Pod A:
Digging & Drilling Vehicles

Pod B:
Seed Bank
Colony Central Computer

Cargo Bay:
My First Factory
LCL Database
Basic & Advanced Parts
Vac Suits

Psych Card: Diggy Diggy Hole

+20 to any mining action
-10 to one M&C action

++ Mining actions
- to any single Manufacturing and Building action

Manufacturing & Building
[]Exosuit Constructors(one destroyed, -5 to bonus) (1 manpower(Anna:+10 M&C, +10 to morale)) (3 manpower 3 vac suits)
                     Repair external damage and unload breached cargobay, build a shelter out of scrap to cover unloaded cargo.

>(roll:25+10 Anna -20 Manpower=15)

Repairing the hull breaches to restore atmospheric sealing isn't an easy task. Some of the gashes are about several meters long an half a meter wide, and take a bit of scrap welted and melted into them to hold enough for a pressure seal. Anna has no problem driving the exosuit to accomplish this, but the vacsuit helpers aren't able to accomplish much more than hoist scrap for her. They manage to get the hull sealed, but very little of the cargo is unloaded nor is a scrap awning for the cargo built; however, the crew with Anna do feel better now that they aren't at risk of possibly dying due to possible dangerous contaminants seeping into the ship. <Unload cargo 15/50>

[]Machine Shop & Damage Control
IF FIXED produce any basic respirator/environmental suits possible.(-10 Diggy Diggy Hole)

Man, the crew works fast. They actually get the Machine Shop up in running in less than one moth, and are able to start early on the planned masks and filters. Using scavenged hoses and conduits for the rubber and lines, they manage to make 2 before the end of the month.

<Respirators 7/50>

Engineering
[]VR CAD (3 manpower)
             Start design work for a base, mostly underground, centered around a double helix capable of holding a pair of D&D vehicles on each spiral, with space in the center for an elevator, spiral staircase, and similar.

>(Roll:27+5=32)

Living underground has several benefits, even on an obviously habitable world like Chiron, since it is much easier to create a controlled environment to protect from any possible foreign contaminants. Even if the life here is even close to being compatible with human biology, there is no guarantee that it won't have unexpected side effects on the colonists. So to that end, several architects get together and commandeer several pods, load up the VR-CAD, and begin the extensive process of designing an underground complex suitable for (eventually) over 100,000 people, and is easily expandable. Progress is a bit slow the first month, as though the local rock is a variety of sandstones, there are also layers of other stones like granite and schist, as well as softer chalks, which makes planning for these difficult. The team reports that if a proper site could be surveyed, progress would pick up a lot faster. <32/200, Scouting & Exploration project unlocked:Survey site for underground complex>
[]Lisa Action (+10)
Adapt and construct a electric flatbed truck, suitable for carrying a cargo container and four to six people, with an integrated crane for ease of loading. Use materials from the engines where possible, in order to save spare parts.

Lisa starts a different project to help with logistics, designing a crane-equipped cargo hauler to retrieve the cargo from the distant drop pods. While it's not exactly a difficult assignment, what IS difficult is stripping the engine for the coils and capacitors for the battery pack and motors, as well as getting the frame members assembled out of scrap. She has the design done, and the basic frame assembled, but runs out of time before installing the wheels, motors, or crane. She's confident, barring anything unforseen, she'll have it done next month...<Small Cargo Hauler 58/75>
Repair & Maintenance
[]Damage Control & Machine Shop(Offline)

Other
[]Raw Manpower (18 manpower)
               Fix up the Damage Control & Machine Shop, if repaired start working within.
>(Roll:92 Critical Success! Success bonus 2d10+10=25. Total:117)

Meanwhile, most of the crew forms into a large work party to clear damage control and restore functionality. Working like heroes around the clock, they clear the busted bulkhead, removed the destroyed machinery, and manage to fix enough of the lathes and presses to get them operational, which lets them churn out enough parts from the wrecked stuff to repair everything. They even get a head start on enough masks and filters for everyone so they can work outside without fear of biological reactions.
<Rollover 17 into masks and filters>

[]R&R (2 manpower)
 Let others take time off, rotating with those working.

Given the experiences on the flight over, no chances are taken and the crew is given breaks wherever possible, even if it's only a few hours here and there. The crew is appreciative of the thought, though the limited options for entertainment(especially with the engineers hogging the VR pods for design work) does lead to some grumbling. Nevertheless, mood seems for the most part positive...

[]Wake three people from pods (4 manpower)

The life support techs, with a little assistance, manage to get three more people woken up before the end of the month. After a couple days orientation they'll be ready to work next month. <+3 manpower>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:48:55 am by tryrar »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2015, 12:18:47 am »

Manufacturing & Building
[]Exosuit Constructors(one destroyed, -5 to bonus)

Mining

Engineering
[]VR CAD

Repair & Maintenance

Other
[]Raw Manpower

(Note: Since the damage control and machine shop can be used for either building stuff or repairing stuff, it makes more sense for you guys to list it under whatever heading you want to use it for when you activate it)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2015, 12:41:36 am »

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:57:27 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2015, 12:43:29 am »

Yes, you can have raw manpower be a mass scouting and exploration action

Edit: Also since there are two engineering project,s if rollover happens please specify which one you want help with

Edit Edit: Also, if you want to use the hauler immediately when it's finished, instead of next month, put a provisional order under M&C for that instead of R&R(I'll adjust the manpower as appropriate and trow the rest into R&R)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:53:06 am by tryrar »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2015, 01:35:35 am »

Let us put the extra manpower into existing actions rather then doing a separate manpower action, for this turn.  Exploration, cargo unloading and respirator construction.

I gave Lisa exploration as priority.  Vac suits and respirators go to her first, then to unloading and covering cargo.

I am unsure what level of bonus an extra 6 people will give.

Long term, we do not want to do manpower actions, making Workplaces, even if relatively inefficient, is better then manpower.  The machine tools workshop takes 8 people, but it would take 18 to do the same work with a manpower action.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:38:10 am by VoidSlayer »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2015, 01:36:12 am »

[]Machine Shop & Damage Control (3 manpower)
Keep working on respirators(7/50)
Actually, we're at 17/50:
<Rollover 17 into masks and filters>
In any case, I don't think this action is very useful unless we also get some protective clothing that'll prevent allergic compounds from touching our crew members' skin. Let's do that as well.

[]Maintain cyrobays(2 manpower)
We've been over this before. We always need 3 people working the cryobay.

[spoiler=Possible plan, pending changes.]Manufacturing & Building
[]Exosuit Constructors(one destroyed, -5 to bonus) (1 manpower(Anna:+10 M&C, +10 to morale))
Continue unloading and covering cargo(15/50), if finished start work on surveying site.
Let's NOT have Anna work on that (a normal crew member will do). Instead we should have her do this:
Code: [Select]
[]Raw Manpower (27(-1 to work in the cryobay) manpower(Anna:+10M&C, +10 morale))
     Work on biosuits(respirators+protective clothing)

[]R&R (0 manpower)
Everyone will work on the biosuits. Morale would usually go low as a result of this but we can say that if we manage to finish it we can all finally leave the ship in safety and explore the world. That'll make it worth it and may make them work harder.

Manufacturing & Building
[]Small Cargo Hauler(3 manpower, 3 vac suits, weapons)
     If we manage to get the Small Cargo Hauler running, we should take 3 people off of biosuit-creation and send them to pick up the pods' cargo (priority on the drilling vehicles) and dismantle the pods if they have time.

Scouting & Exploration
[]Survey site for underground complex (24 manpower, 2 vac suits, biosuits, weapons(Anna: +20 success, +10 morale))
     If we manage to finish the build the biosuits in time, we should send the guys who made them (minus the guys who'll use the SCH) and have them find a site for the underground complex

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2015, 01:44:25 am »

We do not have anything to use for a protective layer, plastic is in short supply I imagine.  They are taking apart engine parts to make the respirators.

We should work on a decontamination room instead if you are worried about infection.

Also even if we make bio suits we should complete the respirators, making a protective suit is a lot easier then making a protective suit + respirators.

Edit: Doesn't matter anyway, Anna can do manufacturing not engineering.  Do we have designs for a bio protective suit like that?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:47:00 am by VoidSlayer »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48