Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33218 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8:Through the void we have come(Years 2068-2076)
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »

Celebrate the discovery of alien life.

Speaking of mountains and breaks in the trees, there's a rather impressive range on the northern continent that's bordered by high plateaus with more grassland than forest; there's an interesting spot overlooking a huge canyon that appears to be the convergence of two different rock layers.
Land here. The second place would make it difficult to move around and generally live while the third place means putting ourselves in a position where our MFFK becomes a lot less useful.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:41 pm »

Can we see about deorbitng the external pods before we ourselves deorbit?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2015, 07:32:43 pm »

Tryar, use this for your previous post:
Code: [Select]
[center][b]Alpha Centauri B1[/b][/center]
Can we see about deorbitng the external pods before we ourselves deorbit?
Presumably we'd do that first.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »

If they cant maneuver they would have to descend as we do. What I am asking is if we can let them land, see where they land, then land ourselves.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

You mean like maneuver so that the pods deorbit at a point you choose, hold orbit, then try to land near them? Yeah, that's something doable, though be advised the tracking beacons on the pods aren't the most powerful pieces of equipment, and you'll loose signal quickly as you orbit
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2015, 09:56:25 pm »

Drop the pods in the place I mentioned we should land, have the computer record their locations relative to landmarks, then we'll land in the designated landing area.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 11, 2015, 10:38:57 pm »

If we make a few orbits it would give us enough time to triangulate things.

Also, can we do the cheap-o sat thing I suggested?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:09 am »

It'll cost you about oh, .25 advance parts and about the same with basic parts, and will need a roll or two(that might take a few weeks), but yeah you can get ONE basic sat of your choice(weather OR comm OR survey) manufactured with the machine shop

I will point out there's no hurry to land. You do have the fuel reserves to make a complete orbital survey over a several month period if you wish
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:59 am »

.25 parts with a machine shop for any satellite? Considering that any satellite would take more RU to build under fully-stocked factories I'm going to guess our guys did some actual sciencing in the ~20 years they were flying to Chiron. (Comes with the description of the machine shop, I see.)

Why would we want a communications satellite when we have 2057 walkie talkies? I say we spend .25 advanced parts to make an OSS (since it takes a long time for it to scan stuff and it's best to get it to start scanning ASAP) and then spend .25 basic parts on the weather satellite.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2015, 01:30:40 am »

Andres. People are building satellites based off of smartphones.

Personally, I think we should get a weather sat.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:37 am »

So with that much plant life, full level 4 quarantine against the native life.  Might even consider going to ice planet.

Let us land on the high plateaus, flattest area so we don't crash into a canyon or something. 

Take a month to observe local weather, map whichever area we are going to land on, look for any signs of large animals and make and launch that sat if you must.

Base construction should probably go industry and computers underground, make some living areas like habitat domes above ground, if we build up and dig down at the same time we should have double the space.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2015, 05:47:23 am »

We should land in a barren area. The issue with alien flora is it nearly certainly will be toxic.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2015, 06:41:51 am »

Let's just launch the weather satellite and map out the terrain a bit better and stuff. We should definitely stay in orbit for one Chiron year so we can observe the seasons before landing. All the potential sites look ok now but what if they turn out to be awful for most of the year and we just got (un)lucky?

We should land in a barren area. The issue with alien flora is it nearly certainly will be toxic.
Flora is everywhere. The only place where it isn't very thick is the flood plains which still has alien plants and is probably poor in minerals which'll be very annoying considering we planned with mineral production in mind. Let's just wait for the weather satellite which should give us a basic toxicology report. Has alien flora ever been a problem in previous Outpost games?

Let's stay away from the south. That's where all the volcanoes are.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:36 am »

Let's just launch the weather satellite and map out the terrain a bit better and stuff. We should definitely stay in orbit for one Chiron year so we can observe the seasons before landing.
We only have 5 years before the Ark arrives. Though a Chiron year is likely to be shorter than an Earth year, I don't think we can afford to waste this much time.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2015, 07:08:44 am »

Let's just launch the weather satellite and map out the terrain a bit better and stuff. We should definitely stay in orbit for one Chiron year so we can observe the seasons before landing.
We only have 5 years before the Ark arrives. Though a Chiron year is likely to be shorter than an Earth year, I don't think we can afford to waste this much time.
It has a 40 earth-hour day, and a 468 day year. and also has an axial tilt of 32 degrees, making for rather spectacular weather systems and abrupt seasons.
The year is longer than Earth's and has a lot more seasons. Did it really take us 20 years to get here? Damn, maybe we can spare a couple months instead? Wait, how do we even calculate a Chiron month? It doesn't have a moon so maybe if the seasons were spaced out evenly? I wonder what having no moon would mean on the tides of the planet. For now, let's just wait 2 Earth months after the weather satellite is launched to get a better read on the planet.

Yay for consensus on the name of the planet!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48