Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33198 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8:Through the void we have come(Years 2068-2076)
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2015, 07:46:19 am »

Spoiler: Nitpick (click to show/hide)

In fact, the rotation period and distance and gravity given are contradictory. This planet can't exist.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:52:10 am by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:36 am »

*Sigh* So you're saying the planet I've described should rather have less than half an earth year as it's year? I'll fix that(thanks for the info btw, as you've noticed I'm not an astronomer)

Edit:Actually, I'll make this one of those times when realism takes a backseat to gameplay, as I can't really be assed to change all that just so the planet can be actually physically possible. *Shrug*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:00:32 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2015, 08:03:57 am »

Crap. I managed to forget that AC is a binary system. This makes the liveable zone a tiny bit bigger.

Habitable zone is from 0.5-0.9 AU, meaning that rotation period varies from 0.4 to 0.9 years.

Edit:Actually, I'll make this one of those times when realism takes a backseat to gameplay, as I can't really be assed to change all that just so the planet can be actually physically possible. *Shrug*
But ...  :'(

Anyway, that means that your planet gets only 1/4 the amount of insolation it needs.

To continue:

Land on the plateau
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:15:51 am by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2015, 08:13:18 am »

Hmm, well, with that new info you dropped, I can say it's actually a 168 Earth-day year, but that's as close to realism as I'll change it. If the other stuff is contradictory, then well *Shrug*
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:10 am »

Hmm, well, with that new info you dropped, I can say it's actually a 168 Earth-day year, but that's as close to realism as I'll change it. If the other stuff is contradictory, then well *Shrug*
It's fine, thank you.

But yeah, nitpicking detail is why my game is running behind.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2015, 08:21:16 am »

It's fine, thank you.

But yeah, nitpicking detail is why my game is running behind.

At some point you're just gonna have to say "Fuck it, gameplay"

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2015, 11:12:58 am »

It is unfortunate we did not get the focus detection array, without it determining anything specific is gonna be difficult from orbit.

Yeah the plant life will almost certainly be toxic, but we can minimize exposure and keep areas free of water to prevent bacterial growth.

We do need to get that LSL built as soon as we have space and a working industry.  First research project should be a bio-survival vac suit of some kind to outfit all of our crew.

Land on the plateau

Take 1 month to survey the likely landing site from orbit.

A good map is worth it's weight in compressed food rations.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:29 am »

So a Chiron-year is 100.8 Chiron-days, if we set up a calendar of 40 hour Chiron days (split into 'half days' for human sleep cycles, maybe an AM-PM setup of some sort) then we can have 5 months of 20 days each.  These would be the same length of a earth-month (about 33 earth-days).

This would allow tryrar to keep track of turns based on the new Chiron-Years, ages could be kept track of as basically double whatever peoples current age is.

With this setup we have about 11 Chiron Years, or 55 month-turns before the ark arrives.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:44 am »

Good thinking Void! You get a cookie :P

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2015, 11:52:18 am »

It should have been 60 turns if we go by earth months though, the months are about 10% longer then earth months, we could have a "2 day" month-turn every 10 month-turns to account for the extra 30 days of work.

Edit: meh too much work probably.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:18:11 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »

Well, consensus is plateau, but some of you want to survey the site from orbit for a couple months and/or build a sat, others want to land immediately. Any tie-breaking votes?

(I will mention surveying the site carefully will give a bonus on the landing roll)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:43:08 pm by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2015, 04:06:10 pm »

Since the new Chiron year is only 168 days now, I think we can spare the time to wait in orbit through the year to map out its seasons and prepare accordingly.

Build sat and survey the planet for a full Chiron year while our weather satellite gets data. Another important reason why we want to wait for the weather satellite to be operational before we build is to increase the accuracy of our drop pods which'll likely be affected by wind and moisture and such once it goes through the atmosphere.

EDIT: Since we have an LSLD, that means we can build the LSL which'll let us develop immunities to the various toxins on the planet, perhaps using it with the seedbank to create foods that'll provide said immunities. Eventually, our colonists' bodies will develop permanent immunity to Chiron's toxins.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:16:32 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2015, 05:16:13 pm »

Build a sat while observing, when the sat is done launch it and deorbit the pods, plot their locations, then land.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »

I will warn that while staying a couple months in orbit is fine, staying a full Chiron Year is going to provoke a maintenance roll, so it's up to you...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2015, 05:19:02 pm »

It shouldent take a year to do what I am suggesting, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48