Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33064 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outpost Delta Turn 13
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:33 pm »

With 10ebbor away for a week or so, I'm suffering outpost withdrawal symptoms so I decided to run my own game!(This also lets other people who missed the ship building phase participate). As always, this is using the system created by the wonderful SakSak at Spacebattles for his Outpost 3 game, but is not related to it or any other outpost game story-wise.

It is 2057, and humanity is in the midst of a revolution in science, technology, and exploration. Reliable fusion has given birth to the ability to colonize the Solar System, with bases on Luna, Mars, Titan, and some of the asteriods displaying humanities great ingenuity and thirst for that great challenge.

However, it all came crashing to an end. Radio-telescopes have picked up an unusual phenomenon racing towards Earth. At first, scientists were sure the instruments were malfunctioning, but more measurements have confirmed the grim truth: Earth is doomed. A supernova in a nearby part of the galaxy has caused a tsunami of high energy particles to come crashing into the Solar System, bombarding the planet with deadly high energy radiation and detrimentally affecting all life on the planet, as well as the outer colonies. The magnetic fields protecting the panet may hold this wave off for a while, but it would envetually be overwelmed, and while humanity might survive, civilization as we know it won't.

At a secret, high-level meeting of all planetary governments, a solution is devised: Evacuate Sol and spread the seeds of humanity among the stars. To that end, every shipyard, every factory, every mine is put on high alert to build the great ships neccessary to do so. The plan is to build small outpost ships as vanguards to the great arkships, send them to different systems,  set up a base on a planet, and prepare for the arkships' arrival. You are in charge of one such ship, codenamed Outpost Delta, the third and final such ship, and it is your job to build, supply, and command this ship and the colony it will build. Can you handle such a task, or will the colony crash and burn, along with all the people it depends on?

For people who don't know how to play, the game is divided into three phases: the Pre-Launch Phase:, the Ship Phase, and the Outpost Phase.  In the Pre-Launch Phase, you build the ships, select a destination and choose cargo to take on the mission.  In the Flight Phase, you deal with any events that happen on the way to the destination - these are generally bad, and there will be more chances for things to go wrong the longer the trip is.  In the Outpost Phase, you will control the colonists after landing, trying to survive and build up a base to support the people from the Ark(s) when they arrive.

Turn Update Directory:
Turn Zero, Destination Selection
Pre-Launch Turn 1, January to March
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:40:43 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »

Ship stuff:

Spoiler: Ship Modifications (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: List of Modules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo List (click to show/hide)

This might be usefull

(thanks 10ebbor for a handy list I can copy!)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:36:34 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:02 pm »

Outpost Chiron Statistics:

He-3 fuel:5.15 units(3.75 units enough to run reactor at 100% for 5 Earth Years)
 Basic Parts:0.67 containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only) Warning, basic parts at 33%
 Advanced Parts:1.57 Containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only)
 Scrap(Shortfall)

Systems and Projects online:
Small Cargo Hauler
Exosuit Contructor
Small Cargo Hauler
Sub-Surface Scanning Array
MS & DC
Life Support

Population:35 awake(including heroes)+47 in cryopods
 Population required to run equipment:14(or 16 if using SCH for construction)(3 life support, 1 Exosuit, 1 VR-CAD, 3 Damage Control & Machine Shop, 2(or 6) Small Cargo Hauler, 1+3 SSA)

Life Support Capacity:Ship only
Food Production:Ship Hydroponics only

Power Used/Produced:23.5/37.5(50% power)

Cargo

Cargo Bay:
My First Factory
LCL Database
Basic & Advanced Parts
Vac Suits

Outside:
OCC
Seed Bank

Psych Card: Diggy Diggy Hole

+20 to any mining action
-10 to one M&C action
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:14:17 am by tryrar »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:38 pm »

Just wondering, is there a good place for a writeup on the rules SakSak developed or are you just winging it based on whats in the other threads?

Thanks for running another one of these though!

Can't really put together a ship design until we have a destination but if anyone hasn't seen the other ones engine fuel and power would be a good idea to do sooner rather then half ass in the end it like outpost 6.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »

As construction begins, you first need to select a destination since the arkship needs to depart with their slower engines. Arkship Delta carries 100,000 souls in cryosleep on the trip, and depending on the destination can take upwards of 30 years to get there, so keep this in mind.

Valid choices are:

Alpha Centauri(4.36 ly):A binary system(trinary if you consider Proxima Centauri being gravitationally bound to the pair) long thought to be humanity's first step to the stars, Alpha Centauri consists of Alpha Centauri A, a g-type main sequence star like Sol, and Alpha Centauri B, a K-type orange dwarf. There are 3 confirmed planets, two cold, barren planets orbiting the outer edges of the system(one of them appears to be gravitationally associated with Proxima Centauri)  and one that appears to be orbit the B component, though the only data scientists can confirm is that it is the approximate habitable zone for that star

Wolf 359(7.78 ly): A M-type Red Dwarf that has 5 planets, though 2 of those appear to be neptune-sized gas giants orbiting the outer system, and the others cannot be confirmed positionwise

Epsilon Eridani(10.52 ly)Another K-type star that has two planets, one a superjovian gas giant orbiting the inner part of the system, but readings indicate that there might be more planets undiscovered

Luyten's Star(12.36 ly)A Red dwarf that has a confirmed asteroid belt and two rocky planets orbiting close to the habitable zone

Ninja-edit:Mainly just winging it based off what he wrote(and how the others did it), but it's not that hard to figure out(he uses a d100 essentially, with various bonuses and maluses for whatever)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:59:36 pm »

Also forgot to note, no matter what system you pick, you will get ONE reroll upon arrival for any possible additional planets, as well as moon composition for any gas giants and the like

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:02:27 am »

Alpha Centauri(4.36 ly):A binary system(trinary if you consider Proxima Centauri being gravitationally bound to the pair) long thought to be humanity's first step to the stars, Alpha Centauri consists of Alpha Centauri A, a g-type main sequence star like Sol, and Alpha Centauri B, a K-type orange dwarf. There are 3 confirmed planets, two cold, barren planets orbiting the outer edges of the system(one of them appears to be gravitationally associated with Proxima Centauri)  and one that appears to be orbit the B component, though the only data scientists can confirm is that it is the approximate habitable zone for that star

Just to get things started.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:11:29 am by Pencil_Art »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:05:34 am »

Hmm Luyten's Star we are looking at 50 years transit time.

Alpha Centauri would be 17 years or less with a fusion torch.

Alpha Centauri looks great but if that one planet is a failure we are banished to the cold fringes of the outer system, possibly three totally barren world.

359 seems an odd one, 3 totally randomly placed planets.

A superjovian gas giant in the inner system would be a weird place to build but fun to contemplate, low gravity moon could mean early asteroid mining for rare minerals.

Would a k-type orange dwarf provide solar power in the habitable range?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:19:37 am »

Would a k-type orange dwarf provide solar power in the habitable range?

About, ooh say 25-33% less power than a sol type, depending on planet position

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:35:26 am »

Seed Bank. Combined with a biotech lab...
I assume the biotech lab referred to here is the Life Sciences Lab?

Alpha Centauri. Humanity is destined and obligated to one day colonise the system. To skip past it and enter another system first is unthinkable, like landing on Mercury before Mars or Mars before the Moon. This is the most important moment in all of human history and to sully it would be borderline sacrilegious.

Life Sciences Laboratory. In the event that Earth is lost to us forever we must preserve as much of our holy home as we can. Nothing is more important to it than the life which lived for so long among it. To sacrifice it all would be....there are no words to describe how wrong it would be.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta:Turn 1
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 04:57:53 am »

So two votes to Alpha Centauri then. Will update in a bit

Arkship Delta rumbles off from lunar orbit, on it's way to Alpha Centauri and hopefully the salvation of man. The other arkships depart on similar journeys, and construction ramps up enormously as the faster outpost ships get underway at the shipyards.

Turn 1, January to March

Build orders:
1)
2)

Cargo Orders:

Research Orders:

Edit@Andre: Life Sciences Lab includes a seed bank, yes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:10:57 am by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 06:45:06 am »

(It would've been better if you wrote up the turn in a new post. Notifications don't get sent for edits.)

We can build 8 things before we hit the recommended launch window. This is what I think we should work towards, in order from top to bottom:
Expanded superstructure
Fusion Plasma Torch
Medium He-3 Inertial Fusion generator /w external radiators
Biodome /w hydroponics
Life Sciences Laboratory
Command centre (electronic central computer)
He-3 Fuel Tank 4
This is assuming that the life sciences laboratory will take up two turns to complete. I have not done the math for this yet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:47:34 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 06:47:31 am »

Life Sciences Lab is cargo, not a module, so you just need to order it and stuff it into a cargo bay

Edit:Also, anything that takes multiple turns to build will be noted as such with a countdown timer, so be aware
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:50:28 am by tryrar »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:06:17 am »

In that case:
Expanded superstructure
Expanded superstructure
Fusion Plasma Torch
Medium He-3 Inertial Fusion generator /w external radiators
Biodome /w hydroponics
Command centre (electronic central computer)
4x He-3 Fuel Tank
4x He-3 Fuel Tank
I still haven't done the math yet. I'll do it tomorrow.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 07:12:58 am »

Keep in mind life support systems don't come with cryopods(unless they specify they do), and can only support awake/sleeiping people in proportion(a 1 to 5 ratio of awake people to cryopods).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48