I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 665195 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6405 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »

Which is basically just Anglican

Cue Henry VIII memes.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: September 29, 2018, 04:14:37 pm »

Which is basically just Anglican
Which is basically just CoI.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: October 02, 2018, 09:59:25 am »

I meant to ask. Railguns are several sequentially activated electromagnets and a coilgun is just one long curly one right?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: October 02, 2018, 10:02:07 am »

I meant to ask. Railguns are several sequentially activated electromagnets and a coilgun is just one long curly one right?

Exactly.  Although a railgun can use a single pair of magnets, or plasma, apparently, which is pretty cool.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: October 02, 2018, 10:11:32 am »

Coilgunners are heretics that should be Railgunned. Into the afterlife.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: October 02, 2018, 10:14:44 am »

I am still waiting for my magnetically self-contained hypersonic plasma projectile launcher, damnit!

The physics says it is possible-- I DONT CARE that it will quickly turn into a wall of searing hot gas that ceases to be magnetically confining, and thus killing its range-- I want a freaking high energy plasma shotgun!  That it might burn my face off is A-OK, that's what a mylar suit is for!

/joke

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: October 02, 2018, 11:31:21 am »

Exactly.  Although a railgun can use a single pair of magnets, or plasma, apparently, which is pretty cool.

Now in wiki-diving on mass drivers and plasma Railguns.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6412 on: October 03, 2018, 02:38:11 am »

I did come to my current understanding of God by contemplating the philosophical issues of teleportation.

You know, the old "Ship of Theseus" question; if you break someone into atoms and reconstruct them elsewhere, are they the same person or did you just kill them?  What if you make a second copy?

Since no "vital principle" that gives matter the ability to "experience" qualia has ever been observed, Occam's Razor would suggest that it does not exist, and that anything that behaves like an "aware" being is, in fact, just as aware as anything else regardless of where it came from.  However, since the ability to experience things definitely does exist (in fact, it is the only thing we can truly be certain about) it must derive from something.  This suggests that awareness is a property of reality itself, and that anything with a bare minimum of certain traits has a degree of awareness.

These traits are, I believe, an ability to absorb stimuli and also to retain information about the stimulus it receives over a period of time.  This would include any bit of matter, even a single atom (an atom can absorb a photon and this boosts its energy state for a time).  The only difference between a human being and an atom is one of complexity; unless we assume an arbitrary threshold of complexity that spontaneously generates awareness, it stands to reason that an atom also possesses a unique view of reality, if one orders of magnitude simpler than what we are capable of experiencing.

The next bit is a bit complicated, so I'll try and simplify it by using single massive particles as "observers".

Imagine a universe with three entities: Particle A, Particle B, and Photon C.  Photon C is emitted, and may be absorbed by either Particle A or Particle B.  Particles A and B are both observers who represent a particular "viewpoint" of the universe; each one "perceives" a universe in which it either did or did not absorb Photon C.  (If it did absorb the photon, it "experiences" a heightened energy state.)

This universe has now split into not two, but four unique perspectives, depending on which particle's perspective we are using and which event actually occurred.

Universe A-A, where A observes that it absorbed C.
Universe A-B, where A observes that it did not absorb C.
Universe B-A, where B observes that it absorbed C.
Universe B-B, where B observes that it did not absorb C.

As long as Particles A and B never interact, all of these universes can exist without any contradiction.  However, once the particles interact, any mutually exclusive universes must collapse.  Universe A-A cannot coincide with B-A, and A-B cannot coincide with B-B.

Now, here's the leap in logic that the bizarre theory requires: Nature abhors mutually exclusive universes.  The simultaneous existence of perspectives that cannot be allowed to interact places a form of "stress" on the fabric of reality, encouraging timelines in which mutually exclusive perspectives do not occur.  (I will call the force that collapses mutually exclusive universes "Arel").

The solution to this problem is to generate more complex structures that are capable of perceiving and remembering a greater slice of reality.  A universe of independent atoms has little need for consensus reality; every atom can perceive the universe more or less independent of each other.  But complex, living structures do not operate this way; each possesses a vast amount of information which swiftly collapses multitudes of potentially exclusive universes before they are allowed to form, lest they create a contradiction in the mind of the organism.

In order to ensure that such entities exist, the laws of physics as well as individual events are retroactively manipulated in order to bring them about in the future.  This creates a universe that is conductive to the development of intelligent life.  (I will call the force that retroactively manipulates the past in order to bring about a given future "Ophan").

However, it is not over yet.  Humans are a crowning achievement for this cosmic drive that causes the universe to try and perceive itself in its entirety, but are far from the crowning achievement, which will not come to fruition for an unfathomable amount of time in the future.  Therefore, our present is still being manipulated in order to bring about the event in which a single entity perceiving all of reality is able to be brought into existence.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: October 03, 2018, 02:49:43 am »

I'm for the anthropic principle. The universe is hospitable to sentient life because if it weren't, we wouldn't be here and thus, obviously, would not be able to perceive it. Makes sense and does not require anything supernatural to explain.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:51:49 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: October 03, 2018, 02:54:35 am »

While mostly pseudoscience bunk,  the connection between behavior of particles and how it changes based on the act of being observed, and the thus demonstrable ability TO observe (even by inanimate objects, such as a detector) might be all that is required to nudge more high-level "awareness" into possibility.

This is not to say that I suggest consciousness is quantum in nature or something, just that the existence of the phenomenon (consciousness) is at least partly derived from the unpredictable dissolution of superpositioned states by the act of observing, coupled with the ability to observe.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:58:07 am by wierd »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6415 on: October 03, 2018, 04:24:22 am »

It's not related to quantum mechanics itself - the same principle applies to the old "if a tree falls in the forest" question.  Any aspect of reality that a given observer is not directly conscious of is, from their perspective, undefined.  The question remaining is "how does 'any possible reality' coalesce into a single consensus reality, and under which rules?"

People just like sticking poorly understood quantum mechanics into things because it sounds sciencey.  This is a philosophy question, not a physics one.

I'm for the anthropic principle. The universe is hospitable to sentient life because if it weren't, we wouldn't be here and thus, obviously, would not be able to perceive it. Makes sense and does not require anything supernatural to explain.

True.  The "Nature abhors mutually exclusive universes" premise that this theory rests on is not required for an understanding of the universe as it is, and defies Occam's Razor to suggest it.  However, it does allow a belief in God which is more sophisticated than "old man in the sky", more relevant than "abstract force that created the universe and then left" and has semi-predictable sapience-like properties while also being entirely inhuman and mostly ineffable.  It is therefore a belief that can be used to formulate a proper religion that works in the modern age.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: October 03, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »

It doesn't make much sense to me to say that conciousness is the only thing we can be sure exists because we experience it. If consciousness did not exist, then it would still be possible for some species of ape to talk to each other about how they can be sure that consciousness is real because they're conscious.

If you can't prove to other people that you are actually real, then how can you prove it to yourself? If you can get a rock to say "cogito ergo sum", then how is it significant that you can say it?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: October 03, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »

Solipsism is lonely, but it's all we've got /s

It's like the idea of being a brain in a jar, I guess.  It seems possible, but I don't choose to live my life as if it's true.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:04 pm »

Solipsism is lonely, but it's all we've got /s

It's like the idea of being a brain in a jar, I guess.  It seems possible, but I don't choose to live my life as if it's true.
What if you could be a brain in a jar with a sweet robot body?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: October 03, 2018, 03:40:46 pm »

Hm well that could be interesting, I mean, most of my body changes out anyway and I don't-  HEY!  Nice try, Mi-go!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 523