I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 665166 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6390 on: September 26, 2018, 10:27:33 pm »

Our power was just struck down, Gaia Thank You For the Rain.

The rain on the roof...

Yeah, I think I deserve this.
Gaia isn't responsible for those we leave in the rain.
Bah, everyone knows that technology, and thus power distribution, is governed by spirits unaffiliated to any deity or divine power and who must be propitiated for them to maybe not fuck you over.

II've talked to a lot of people including new age crystal-healing types and though they may sound heavier on the mysticism, I've actually seen the most of... let's call it "superstition", on computer techs. IT work is a combination of work-arounds, wishful thinking and "have you turned it off and on again?".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: September 26, 2018, 10:35:36 pm »

Some economics is powered by animal spirits...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: September 26, 2018, 10:43:25 pm »

Some economics is powered by animal spirits...
Economics is something else entirely and worthy of a larger theological discussion that I am too tired to engage in.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: September 26, 2018, 10:51:34 pm »

The theology of what in economics? or vice versa. Though it really just sounds like he was making a joke on something about economics, either the stock market or maybe Ayn Rand stuff or just economic theories that involve lots of wishful thinking in general.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: September 26, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »

If WH40K has taught me anything, it's that IT involves lots on incense burning and arcane incantations.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:53 pm »

The theology of what in economics? or vice versa. Though it really just sounds like he was making a joke on something about economics, either the stock market or maybe Ayn Rand stuff or just economic theories that involve lots of wishful thinking in general.

Has to do with Keynesian Economic Theory, as animal spirits being the vague guts driving human behavior or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: September 27, 2018, 10:05:01 am »

on the poll: are ya'll talking about calvinism? Because my dad is probably the most theologically well read person i've ever met and even he couldn't explain predestination, and he had an hour to do it.

It has something to do with how predestination (the idea that God has already decided who goes to heaven) is a seperate idea than God knowing everyone who's going to hell? I think.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:26 am »

I don't think it's about Calvinism specifically, but about if Free Will is a thing or not, and if religious people belive in it more or less than atheists.

The economy thing was a joke based on how Stock Exchange economists might as well be priests trying to appease the God of Shares to keep numbers going up.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: September 27, 2018, 12:25:46 pm »

I can't speak for Calvinism specifically, but the way I always looked at it was that if God knew everything, and specifically the future, then surely he knew who was going to Heaven or Hell in the end, which meant I ultimately had no say in the matter because the results were known since the beginning of time.  I couldn't make a decision that would cause my fate to deviate from what God already knew would be the case.

I don't know if this is what Calvinists believe, but one way I've seen it handwaved is that while God knows what you'll do in the end, it's not an excuse to be a terrible person because you don't know what the end result will be, but if you're a terrible person you're definitely going to Hell.  Better to try to be good and hope you were one of the chosen before time began who makes it, whatever circumstances may conspire to make that be the case or not.

These days I look at it in a different light, but with the same fundamental message.  I believe in a deterministic universe (and to be sure this is almost religion since all of our evidence points to the contrary..), which means that I don't actually make decisions at all.  When I decide to do something, it's for a reason.  I'm writing this post because I want to share my opinion and it's relevant.  I just ate something because I was hungry.  I just committed some code to Git because it's my job.  You can chase these "becauses" all the way back to the beginning of time and to whatever resolution you choose, and if you set them up in the same fashion and let them unfold then they should come out to the same conclusion, right?  And all of my future actions are going to be based on my current situation and previous experiences, so what choice do I really have?

Of course, you can try to inject quantum mechanics and uncertainty into the mix, but I feel like that would at best add randomness, and randomness isn't really making decisions either, is it?

The only way around this that I see, which some religious people probably do ascribe to, is that there really is some supernatural element that imparts free will through quantum fluctuations that appear to be random.  But... well, if you believe that God knows everything and the future then we end up back at square one of my post.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: September 27, 2018, 02:21:35 pm »

I wish there was an option in that poll for a third position, as I'm not too concerned about the free will debate.

I don't know what my future looks like, so I have no idea if my choices are set or not. And while I am religious, that doesn't give me special knowledge of the future that empowers me to to make a decision on that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: September 27, 2018, 06:58:23 pm »

Good old free will. Still don't know what the term is supposed to actually refer to. Because "free" isn't really a point anywhere on the axis between deterministic and random, but free will is usually debated in terms of those things.
So far as I'm concerned, you can be free even if deterministic, unfree even if random, unfree if deterministic, free if random. Separate concepts, right? And if you had a soul subtly manipulating your thoughts through seemingly random quantum effects, wouldn't this make you not free? Your own natural thoughts would be controlled by something else, not physically or biologically a part of yourself.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:52 am »

Oh!  I had a discussion about predestination and Calvinism vs Armenianism only yesterday, after I realised that a church on my route was open.  apparently Anglo-catholic is a real denomination and I don't know exactly what it means.

Egan, if you believe in a soul, then the soul is an element of you and is an actor in your expression of free will, rather than an external manipulator of it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:25 pm »

I would expect an Anglo-Catholic would be an Anglican-style church in communion with Rome rather than with the Anglican hierarchy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: September 29, 2018, 11:50:42 am »

Which is basically just Catholic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6404 on: September 29, 2018, 02:12:25 pm »

Which is basically just Anglican
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 523