I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663708 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #5685 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:11 am »

On sin and the christian perception of it, there have been a lot of people through the centuries trying to figure out why God, since he is supposed to be all-mighty, allows people to sin.

Pope Gregory the Great (later Saint Gregory), for instance, theorized in his many works that God let sin exist so people could better themselves by their own initiative, by resisting it and repenting when they didn't manage to.

Frankly, it's a better explanation than a bipolar deity, even if less amusing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: July 11, 2016, 05:52:00 am »

Would you feel inclined to forgive someone who kicked you in the shin, said "it's okay if I apologise, so I'm sorry", kicked you in the shin again, saying "it's okay if I apologise"?
Of course not, you'd think he's a dick. People aren't sorry if they're not trying to do things differently afterwards.
I'm up waaay too late but real quick, hope this makes sense...
What if they're actually sorry, but they have a poisonous ingrained behavior (like wrath in that case, or maybe gluttony or sloth).  They keep trying to reform, and are honestly sorry that their sin is hurting others.

I think what I was trying to say is that there's a huge difference between support, and enabling.  Personally, if I'm slipping into one of my self-destructive behaviors, I don't want forgiveness until I manage to fight it off.  Having help is important, but premature unconditional forgiveness is unhelpful... removes the incentive.  Enables the behavior.  Can twist a good relationship into an abusive one.

I've been an enabler, and the enabled, and maybe that's part of why I'm leery of the concept.  Nothing good comes out of it.
Of course I'm sure Christians don't see it as Jesus enabling them.  It just looks pretty similar to me right now.

For example, a big part of Jesus's teaching was that the magnitude of sin doesn't matter when it comes to forgiveness.  Feeling any lust makes you an adulterer, feeling any hate makes you a murderer.  No one can reach heaven without Jesus's forgiveness, which no one deserves.
Obviously Christians still have normal consciences which make them feel worse about heavier sins (or actually acting on it)...  It's just a bit eerie to me that the NT really downplays that.

Of course a Christian needs to try not to avoid sin, or else they're not actually regretful.  I just don't see any religious incentive to try hard, though, and a lot of self-described Christians don't either.  A moment's doubt before the act counts as being sorry.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, or if it's unintentionally offensive.  I'm just sleepy.
[6 new replies] uh oh- oh good it's fine, I just typed long. [1 new reply]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:53:48 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5687 on: July 11, 2016, 06:07:57 am »

I'm up waaay too late but real quick, hope this makes sense...
Me too

What if they're actually sorry, but they have a poisonous ingrained behavior (like wrath in that case, or maybe gluttony or sloth).  They keep trying to reform, and are honestly sorry that their sin is hurting others.
If they're putting effort in, then that's good. Nobody's perfect, trying counts for a lot.

I think what I was trying to say is that there's a huge difference between support, and enabling.  Personally, if I'm slipping into one of my self-destructive behaviors, I don't want forgiveness until I manage to fight it off.  Having help is important, but premature unconditional forgiveness is unhelpful... removes the incentive.  Enables the behavior.  Can twist a good relationship into an abusive one.

I've been an enabler, and the enabled, and maybe that's part of why I'm leery of the concept.  Nothing good comes out of it.
Of course I'm sure Christians don't see it as Jesus enabling them.  It just looks pretty similar to me right now.
Kinda agree with you here, actually. I think the saved-by-grace people try to overemphasise the "no works" part of things to the point where it almost sounds like trying to do good is pointless, when it's really the whole point.

For example, a big part of Jesus's teaching was that the magnitude of sin doesn't matter when it comes to forgiveness.  Feeling any lust makes you an adulterer, feeling any hate makes you a murderer.  No one can reach heaven without Jesus's forgiveness, which no one deserves.
Obviously Christians still have normal consciences which make them feel worse about heavier sins (or actually acting on it)...  It's just a bit eerie to me that the NT really downplays that.

Of course a Christian needs to try not to avoid sin, or else they're not actually regretful.  I just don't see any religious incentive to try hard, though, and a lot of self-described Christians don't either.  A moment's doubt before the act counts as being sorry.
[/quote]
Eh. The NT definitely doesn't downplay the punishment for sins, or their scope. Major sins are still major, require a major apology, and major effort to change things. Minor sins are minor, unless it's a habit or somesuch, in which case you'd be trying to break the habit, and so on.
For forgiveness' part, it's more that Christ's sacrifice was big enough, and less that your sin was minor enough to be forgiven.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: July 11, 2016, 06:42:56 am »

Yeah that's true Catholicism seems to take penance seriously, I like that about it
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:16 am »

May I tempt you with some delicious devils-food cake?
I'll take some Baal bread, that stuff's great.
The smoke from the burning children guarantees only the best of flavors!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: July 11, 2016, 07:13:06 am »

Prices are brutal, though. Had to trade my immortal soul for two Heil Marys and a bag of Churros Diabolico.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:37 am »

Gonna order me a double satan with fried souls combo.

Anyway, my view on redemption/salvation through work is basically the same as OW's. Repenting is only the first step, you have to actualy try to repair the damage you've caused with your sins. Spiritism goes a step further and says that trying is great, but isn't enough by itself either, which is why it is against things such as flagellation and other self imposed punishments like that, because punishing yourself isn't likely to do anything to repair the damage you caused, and instead just causes you to do more evil, since you're essentialy pretending to do good by doing something that doesn't affect anyone but yourself. So, if you stole something, you should prob try to either give the thing back or compensate for the person's loss if thats not possible.

Your effort and your intentions that you put into helping people still do matter a lot, though. An indigent that gives away his only piece of food to save someone from starvation while only thinking of said person's wellbeing is more worthy than a rich man who gives away half his wealth to the poor while thinking of all the great PR he'll get out of it. The rich man will get the reward he deserves (great PR, which he expected), and so will the indigent, who will be saved, since he only thought of another's wellbeing while never expecting any reward.

Salvation is kind of a effy concept in spiritism though, since there's no defined hell to be saved from :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5692 on: July 11, 2016, 10:56:59 am »

A new high-tech weapon designed for the U.S. Navy could be a game changer during a conflict, but at what cost? Manufacturing the railgun electromagnetic cannon fetches a significant fee, but defense officials have said its potential benefits far outweigh the negatives, Defense News reported.

The railgun's price tag exceeds half a billion dollars, but it can reportedly shoot faster than the speed of sound, at about 5,700 miles per hour, and hit moving targets with more precision than many existing weapons.

“The railgun is revolutionary in terms of how much it can accelerate the bullet,” said Tom Boucher, the railgun program manager for the Office of Naval Research. “Powder guns have been matured to the point where you are going to get the most out of them. Railguns are just beginning.”
Respect the bullet

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:48 am »

May I tempt you with some delicious devils-food cake?
I'll take some Baal bread, that stuff's great.
The smoke from the burning children guarantees only the best of flavors!
On a somewhat related tangent, today I learned the recipe for penitence bread, which is actually not regular bread. 1/3 wheat flour, 1/3 ash, 1/3 salt and water. Remember kids: what's toxic for your body is purifying for your soul!

Or just go to Lucifer's and order a double brimstone burger.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: July 11, 2016, 12:48:23 pm »

A new high-tech weapon designed for the U.S. Navy could be a game changer during a conflict, but at what cost? Manufacturing the railgun electromagnetic cannon fetches a significant fee, but defense officials have said its potential benefits far outweigh the negatives, Defense News reported.

The railgun's price tag exceeds half a billion dollars, but it can reportedly shoot faster than the speed of sound, at about 5,700 miles per hour, and hit moving targets with more precision than many existing weapons.

“The railgun is revolutionary in terms of how much it can accelerate the bullet,” said Tom Boucher, the railgun program manager for the Office of Naval Research. “Powder guns have been matured to the point where you are going to get the most out of them. Railguns are just beginning.”
Respect the bullet

Didn't they recently make a breakthrough that essentialy allows a railgun to fire hundreds or so shots before the rails actualy have to be replaced? That was the main problem with it, and with that out of the way, railguns pretty much outclass any ship mounted weaponry since missiles are more expensive on a per-shot basis, lasers don't have that much range and require exotic gasses and shit and regular cannons don't come close on range and projectile speed.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5695 on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »

Didn't they recently make a breakthrough that essentialy allows a railgun to fire hundreds or so shots before the rails actualy have to be replaced? That was the main problem with it, and with that out of the way, railguns pretty much outclass any ship mounted weaponry since missiles are more expensive on a per-shot basis, lasers don't have that much range and require exotic gasses and shit and regular cannons don't come close on range and projectile speed.
I haven't heard anything about that
The big one to look out for is getting thousands of shots with your railgun before replacement, that changes everything

Goodbye to destroyers and carriers, hello to drone carriers and battleships

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5696 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »

Holy Cthulthu, a works-or-faith discussion that hasn't erupted in flames?! Go Bay12! (I distinctly remember one such argument that ended in the One Holy Church fracturing into thousands of pieces. That was big.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:33:30 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: July 11, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »

Holy Cthulthu, a works-or-faith discussion that hasn't erupted in flames?!

even the flames bow before the power of the most high railgun
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:23 pm »

Cthulhu versus railgun?
Discuss.
She/they

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »

Cthulhu versus railgun?
Discuss.
Don't be silly, Cthulhu is a railgun.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 523