I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661666 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5085 on: February 18, 2016, 07:10:43 pm »

New Testament God is the nice-ish one.
New Testament God is the same God, it's just that most of the interaction is happening through Jesus who is nice.

Deep

Deeper than hell

Which is here
Hell is where the heart is
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: February 18, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »

Yea, Jesus is the nice-ish New Testament God. Old Testament God is...well, God.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5087 on: February 18, 2016, 07:14:56 pm »

New Testament God is the same God, it's just that most of the interaction is happening through Jesus who is nice.
Suspiciously nice. What's his angle? What's his agenda? Something fishy about the guy, and it's not just that he conjures fish from thin air.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: February 18, 2016, 07:17:46 pm »

New Testament God is the nice-ish one.
Does the New Testament God do literally anything?  I'm trying to remember but I'm drawing a blank.
Mary gets visited by angels, instead of God speaking through a prophet like normal...
I guess He impregnates her
Other than that though...?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5089 on: February 18, 2016, 07:24:33 pm »

The Father does basically nothing in the NT, yeah. He does make an announcement at Jesus' baptism - "This is my son, with whom I am well pleased" - and I suppose you could attribute the miracles around the time of the crucifixion to him.
Beyond that it's mostly just Jesus doing miracles (when he isn't scolding the apostles).
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5090 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:30 pm »

God doesn't genocide the Romans when they turn Jesus into biltong

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5091 on: February 18, 2016, 07:31:00 pm »

Indeed. The Jews were fully expecting him to, as well. Every time God sent someone to save the Jews beforehand it had always been to kill whatever people were oppressing/trading with/allied to/in the general vicinity of Israel at the time, so having Pacifist McHealings turn up was quite the shock.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: February 18, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »

The OT is basically Jewish origin story and cultural mythos, a la the stories of Homer and the Roman mythologies, the Vedas and the Eddas. As such, they're gonna include stories about the gods, though in this case it's been editted down to just one God, and the other guys' gods were editted out to be still the one God, even when it makes no sense. Ra hardening a heart and all that.

The NT is basically letters written by early Christians espousing and talking about a single person. They more personal, and more direct. Thus the only time God is mentioned is when they bring him out of their packs to prop up Jesus.

It's like the difference between the Silmarillion and the Hobbit. Ones grand myth-building, the other is one persons story plus the people around him.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: February 18, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

The Jews were also expecting God to intercede for Jesus, if he really was the messiah.  I know Satan made that argument at least.

Ah, yeah:
38 Two rebels were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left.
39 Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads
40 and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!”
41 In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him.
42 “He saved others,” they said, “but he can’t save himself! He’s the king of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him.
43 He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ ”
44 In the same way the rebels who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.
(bleh, the Skeptics Annotated Bible copy-pastes with a lot less hand-editing than Biblehub, but apparently people find SAB offensive and say the KJV doesn't count)

Fakedit:  It's weird that God wouldn't intercede or interact with what is supposedly the most important event in all of human history.  The doctrine is that it's all according to his plan, sure, but he's suspiciously and uncharacteristically hands off.

It's like he's a different entity (Cathars, gnostics) or that this is a false account (Jews).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5094 on: February 18, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »

God confirmed for Tzeentch all according to keikaku (that means plan in Godonese)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5095 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:12 pm »

There's a bunch of supernatural shenanigans going on during the Crucifixion, though. Darkness, earthquakes, the temple's curtain getting rekt, a bunch of Jews getting resurrected... I'd say it's a difference in writing style more than anything else. If this happened in the OT we'd have lots of extraneous "And so the LORD did X, declaring, "Y!" Thus says the LORD."
The way things are recorded in the gospels is dry by comparison. "Jesus then went to the Decapolis. He drove demons out of a man and into a herd of pigs. The herd of pigs jumped into a lake. Jesus then went to Galilee." It's written as a report, rather than a "founding mythos" as Descan describes the OT.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:53:49 pm by Orange Wizard »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: February 18, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »

The God in the Old Testament is the same as the God in the New Testament. He is extremely scary, but loving in both.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: February 18, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »

More territorial, if anything.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »

It is intentionally jarring that God doesn't intercede. On some level, even Jesus thought he was going to if "My god, my god, why have you forsaken me?" is to be believed.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 523