I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661779 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3405 on: November 11, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »

Question regarding the Trinity: So it's really three different people who work together (as a single God)? That's the impression I get from reading posts here, but I've also heard some very different things about it (i.e. it's just one person).
Think of it as one entity expressed as three separate entities. If you're looking for a different example, it's like a tiny brahman. There is only brahman (God), but there is also Vishnu, Brahma, Shiva, and the other divinities (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). That Vishnu and Brahma are separate from each other makes them no less indivisible from the brahman. If that feels confusing to you, it's because it's confusing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

It was the subject of much debate and death, and I'm not even sure what explanation(s) won or how much it depends on denomination. Maybe st patrick can explain:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQLfgaUoQCw
I wonder how many people here would still be arguing for a one god if the Arians had succeeded and hadn't been expunged from history as much as possible by the Nicene orthodoxy.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: November 11, 2015, 01:51:43 pm »

Question regarding the Trinity: So it's really three different people who work together (as a single God)? That's the impression I get from reading posts here, but I've also heard some very different things about it (i.e. it's just one person).

Interpretation varies wildly based on which Christian denomination you belong to. The most mainstream one, I think, is that the Trinity is one entity in three aspects. St. Patrick described it as like the trefoil leaf: Three seperate... THINGIES/LEAVES that still belong to one greater entity/stem.

There's also those that believe that the Trinity are three seperate entities that are just best bros, although professing that is a good way to get punched by Santa.

Its always seemed like a weird and tiny distinction to make, but this is apparently SRS BSNESS anyways.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: November 11, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »

There's also those that believe that the Trinity are three seperate entities that are just best bros, although professing that is a good way to get punched by Santa.

I suspect that I would be punched. Also, Santa?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: November 11, 2015, 02:23:04 pm »

St. Nicholas famously punched Arius at the council of Nicaea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or if you prefer...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: November 11, 2015, 02:26:03 pm »

St. Nicholas famously punched Arius at the council of Nicaea.

The way his fist is painted makes it look almost like he's stabbing him in the head with a dart. The highlighting on the fold above the bottom of his thumb looks like fletching.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »

-snip-
Made my day. Especially the second picture.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3413 on: November 11, 2015, 05:20:00 pm »

So that's why I never get any presents.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: November 12, 2015, 04:12:09 pm »

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/heresy

I went there to get a quote for an essay, and got stuck.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: November 12, 2015, 04:18:55 pm »

Tell me, what effect do you hope for when posting a link essentially containing nothing but witticisms about organized religion being dumb and worthy of contempt into a thread like this?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3416 on: November 12, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: November 12, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »

oh gosh that's adorable
thincake

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »

Huh, I thought heresy was like, opinions on church doctrine that differ from the church's accepted doctrine, and not just disagreeing with the church in general.

Anyway, currently going through the 4th fundamental book in spiritism, right at the start of the book there's a rather interesting philosophical analysis on why people started to become more and more materialistic and nihilistic in western society and how christian doctrine (altough the author is clearly referring to catholic doctrine in specific, in this case) failed to provide people with reasons to not walk away from the idea of life after death and become more individualistic.

The very first part of the book is almost purely philosophical in nature, so regardless of what your religion (or lack of religion) is, it should be an interesting quick read for anyone interested (altough it does take several stabs at the catholic church). There's an english PDF version of it provided by the Baltimore Spiritist Society.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:20:04 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: November 12, 2015, 05:19:30 pm »

Tell me, what effect do you hope for when posting a link essentially containing nothing but witticisms about organized religion being dumb and worthy of contempt into a thread like this?
...not what you seem to be suggesting. I was not making some petty point to stir people up.
“One century's saint is the next century's heretic ... and one century's heretic is the next century's saint. It is as well to think long and calmly before affixing either name to any man.”
This is the quote that prompted me to share the page. So that's why I chose to share it - because I thought there might be the odd thought provoking quote in there. Feel free to look for them or ignore them all, I don't particularly care.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 523