I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661553 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2460 on: July 03, 2015, 06:01:48 pm »

does the game let you examine atoms?  No?
Yet.

But that aside, you're just arguing for a solipsism with a fancy bow on it. HOW CAN MIRRORS BE REAL is not a terribly interesting argument. It's undisprovable in the same way flipping the table and smashing the opponent's head in with a stool is a winning chess strategy. You cannot disprove it because you cannot reason within such a system.

Did you miss the part where I said I was a hard agnostic?  Seriously--  This exact argument ^ is what I am referring to when I say that knowledge of a supernatural entity cannot be known, and that the very question of its existence is meaningless in practical matters, and can be simply ignored!

The possibility that such an entity exists cannot be disproven. It also cannot be proven. As such, it is an undefined outcome to the question of the existence of an interested god manipulating our universe. Because the solution space cannot be completely conserved, BOTH sides of the argument are equally illogical.

Sorry I had to beat you to death with the fantastical to get you to see it, but I did not see another way.
Great - so that's where we agree. But that's functionally equivalent to claiming there is no God - notice the case. A god of yours is not a God of Christians, or Muslims, or Jews, or mostly anyone short of Yog-Sothoth cultists. The ramifications of your argument mean such a god can only act on an extradimensional level - or unverifiably subtle level in our universe.

Such a god is undisprovable because he doesn't let himself become disprovable. At best, he's a massive dick whose miracles turn the rules of the reality so such a miracle can be easily replicated by some asshole in a white coat with a particle accelerator or something. But at any rate, it's not a god any denomination I know of worships.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 03, 2015, 06:08:22 pm »

It resembles the christian god more than you realize. Even the "dick in labcoat" line. See the "miracles" of the antichrist.

When shed of the dogma, and reviewed at face value of what it actually says--- the christian god really does resemble Yog-Sothoth.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:23 pm »

It resembles the christian god more than you realize. Even the "dick in labcoat" line. See the "miracles" of the antichrist.

When shed of the dogma, and reviewed at face value of what it actually says--- the christian god really does resemble Yog-Sothoth.

That may be by design. I heard I theory that The Dunwich Horror is meant to be a parody of the Gospel

EDIT:
"Yog-Sothoth" even kind of sounds and looks like "YHVH-Sabaoth"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:16:56 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:29 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:31:59 pm by penguinofhonor »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 09, 2015, 04:05:18 am »

His mention of Tash and Aslan has always been a nice argument. I don't agree, but I appreciate it, both for Lewis' open mindedness and - hopefully - the impact it's had on Christians.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 09, 2015, 04:23:09 am »

A Christian article about non-Christians getting into heaven. He starts by talking about prehistoric people and continues to the modern day. I thought it was an interesting read as a non-Christian, and kind of refreshing in its positivity.
Things like this confuse me a little, because really, I couldn't care less weather or not somebody thinks that I will be going to a place that only he thinks exists.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2466 on: July 09, 2015, 04:31:04 am »

Things like this confuse me a little, because really, I couldn't care less weather or not somebody thinks that I will be going to a place that only he thinks exists.
I don't really understand why it's a big deal either, honestly, although I'm not really representative of most Christians.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:24 am »

The Bible argues that, to get into their Heaven, your have to:
1. Follow God's Law
2. Believe in God

Why do so many contemporary Christians, then, argue that you only have to act the latter to get into Heaven? The two parts must be equal in value.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:44 am »

Same reason this guy's arguing that neither is necessary:  They want to believe something fair and kind, rather than what the Bible actually says.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:18 am »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:32:16 pm by penguinofhonor »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 09, 2015, 10:03:00 am »

Why do so many contemporary Christians, then, argue that you only have to act the latter to get into Heaven? The two parts must be equal in value.
Because people are just seeking for some excuse to be awful while still acting like they are saints:
Under James 2:19.

"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."(New International Version).
"You believe that there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder." (JW bible translation).

Believing isn't much of a requirement as a step for the former, you gotta believe that the police exist to have any motivation to follow the constituent.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2471 on: July 09, 2015, 10:31:00 am »

The Bible argues that, to get into their Heaven, your have to:
1. Follow God's Law
2. Believe in God

"For we are saved by grace, through faith, not by works, that no man can boast."
"...that whosoever believes..."

The Law is important, but whether it's as important as belief is questionable. Even James, who took a hardline stand on this, doesn't say faith without perfection is dead - he says faith without action is dead.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 09, 2015, 10:42:51 am »

Anyway, the bible isn't a valid scripture, the vedas are. And they say you just have to lead a sinless life to get into heaven. But you'll still come back to earth after a while.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2473 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:08 am »

What constitutes a sinless life, according to the Vedas?

Also the Vedas are clearly not valid. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:48 am »

Oh, the usual, don't steal, don't hurt or kill other people unless it's your job, don't fuck with brahmins.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 523