I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 670672 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1980 on: April 29, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

Indeed. I could say that the sun is made of boiling cheese. General colour and heat emission supports this and it is a interpretation, just one which evidence and probability point against
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 29, 2015, 02:07:10 pm »

Plus there's the whole Scientific Method, where you make hypothesises and test them against observable evidence to see whether they work or not. 'God made it that way' is not testable, since there's no way to determine whether it's true or not (or people will move the goal posts and say that God made things that way too) and thus you can't use it as a theory/hypothesis since you can't predict or use it in any constructive way. 'There was a giant flood that made all of the fossils' is a better hypothesis since it is actually testable and provides a prediction about how the world works. The only problem is that that hypothesis doesn't fit in with established evidence. If a global flood did exist, then we should see a single band of fossils with all different types of animals mixed in it. Instead we have seperate bands of fossils enclosed in different types of rocks, and fossils are clearly seperated from each other by which band they appear in. Which means that either the global flood didn't happen, or the hypothesis needs to be changed to fit with what we observe.

What I'm trying to say is that different interpetations of evidence are fine, but if those interpetations don't match the evidence or can't be tested then they aren't following the scientific method and thus aren't acceptable as scientific theories. And if they aren't proper scientific theories then you can't use them to make predictions to learn more about thexworld around you, and instead just admire them from afar as pleasing but unapplyable theories.

True, that is why I am usually hesitant to say "because God made it that way" even though an untestable theory is still a theory. Of course, there are testable hypotheses about why different animals appearing in different layers and the prevailing theory is that bigger animals kept other parts of their bodies longer, making them less dense and appearing higher up in the massive sediments, while the smaller animals generally were buried deeper. It also would explain why blood vessels and intact DNA were found in dinosaur bones Although I am certain that a widely accepted old-earth hypothesis will come soon to explain this, if it hasn't already. I just want to show that there are always multiple hypothesis about things we can't prove. With some being more widely accepted than others.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 29, 2015, 02:25:05 pm »

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:50:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:18 pm »

True, that is why I am usually hesitant to say "because God made it that way" even though an untestable theory is still a theory. Of course, there are testable hypotheses about why different animals appearing in different layers and the prevailing theory is that bigger animals kept other parts of their bodies longer, making them less dense and appearing higher up in the massive sediments, while the smaller animals generally were buried deeper. It also would explain why blood vessels and intact DNA were found in dinosaur bones Although I am certain that a widely accepted old-earth hypothesis will come soon to explain this, if it hasn't already. I just want to show that there are always multiple hypothesis about things we can't prove. With some being more widely accepted than others.
That's not how density works. Especially organ density. And no, untestable claims are pretty much by definition neither a theory nor a hypothesis. It's Not Even Wrong.

Your source does not mention intact DNA being found in the bones, and as for soft tissue, the impossibility of it surviving is a YEC claim.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 29, 2015, 02:31:51 pm »

That's not how density works. Especially organ density. And no, untestable claims are pretty much by definition neither a theory nor a hypothesis. It's Not Even Wrong.

Your source does not mention intact DNA being found in the bones, and as for soft tissue, the impossibility of it surviving is a YEC claim.
I'm not the expert. I just heard that from somewhere and I probably messed it up.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1985 on: April 29, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »

Guys, we're doing that "dogpile on the guy with an unpopular opinion" thing again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 29, 2015, 02:48:11 pm »

Should I open the fedora closet?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1987 on: April 29, 2015, 02:57:43 pm »

Pretty sure everyone who needs one already has one.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »

I don't.

Can I rent one?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1989 on: April 29, 2015, 06:09:33 pm »

Sure. 40 Euphoria dollars per month. Or, you can buy it outright for 144 000 ED.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 29, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

To perhaps, change the topic a bit away from fedoras as well sating my curiosity: while being raised as a catholic means I consider it pretty normal, I was wondering what do followers of other denominations of Christianity (as well as, I guess, any other religion) think of the various saints and related practices of Catholicism?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 29, 2015, 07:19:16 pm »

To perhaps, change the topic a bit away from fedoras as well sating my curiosity: while being raised as a catholic means I consider it pretty normal, I was wondering what do followers of other denominations of Christianity (as well as, I guess, any other religion) think of the various saints and related practices of Catholicism?
I don't know much about those practices, but from what I know, I think that they are unnecessary. I believe that all you need to do to get to heaven is:
-admit your sin
-believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins
-accept the gift of forgiveness

I don't think anywhere in the bible speaks against saints and such, but to me, those practices are not required.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 29, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »

Oops, I forgot the most important part.

-you have to believe that Jesus was the Son of God and he was raised to life three days after his death.

Kinda important.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »

-you have to believe that Jesus was the Son of God and he was raised to life three days after his death.

Kinda important.
Still doesn't require actual worship, though. Which is pretty interesting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »

Kinda important.
Still doesn't require actual worship, though. Which is pretty interesting.
It is not a requirement so much as it is a side-effect. After you realize just how much God loves you and what he did for you, it just kind of happens.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 523