Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 51936 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2015, 10:12:07 am »

Now we're talking!

Mastahcheese:

Scripten: How many trolls do you intend to kill?

[1]None, ideally. We're looking for the something elses in the group. Does your role PM tell you to kill trolls, Mastahcheese?

That doesn't answer the question.

-snip-

So you'd prefer to be Mafia, is what you're saying?
Or did you read the question?

[2]This post reeks of pedantry. Town can be pedantic, but it's sub-optimal. Scum are more likely to play toward pedantry because it stands in for legitimate scumhunting and helps them appear townie. I don't think you're sub-optimal town.

Is it better to inspect those that you suspect to be scum, or those that you feel would be more dangerous, if they are scum?

[3]Are you worried the cop will inspect you because of your experience and subsequent danger to the town?
[1]No, my role tells me to find something elses.
Do you think that was a slip by me? Or me attempting to slip you up?
[2] Go read the first BM I was in. Questions like that helped me catch scum D1. They are not sub-optimal.
[3] I'd only be a danger to the town if I weren't one. I don't like the way you worded this. It feels loaded. Are you worried about being inspected? You're an IC, after all.

mastahcheese: Who, in your experiance, do you think the most dangerous player here is, if he were mafia?
Well, naturally, the answer to that would be the ICs, due to experence, but I don't want people viewing them differently than other players.
Whoever's the best at seperating their role from their words.

mastahcheese:
Comrade Shamrock:  Is it better to ask questions to everyone at once, or to focus on a small amount?
mastahcheese I'm shocked I thought you would know the answer to this question already.  ;D

Not everyone but a wide spread is good until you narrow the field. But even if you think you have the scum there is no reason to stop questioning the wider group just in case.

Why'd you ask for Zormod's wincon this early? Seems like you're trying to get some valuable info for a claim later.
Cause I felt like it, and it really ticks me off when people say "I intend to play to my wincon" because that's the pinnicle of trying to give the "right" answer rather than an informative one.
...You seriously would start trying to piece together info for a claim this earlier?
That's an actual question, I want to know the answer to that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2015, 11:27:22 am »

Scripten, you might want to update your stock IC text.

Eheh. Whoops. Yeah, my IC text is green, not maroon. Whenever I talk with color and italics, I'm in IC mode and you can trust that my statements are made from a position of objectivity, regardless of my actual wincon.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

And, obviously, anything I say as a non-playing IC is guaranteed to be objective, but I'm using my IC voice anyway out of a sense of tradition.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »

Zormod: Which role, of the ones possible in this game, sounds the most usefull, and why?
Jailor. If one of mafia is targeted, the target cannot act. If a townie is, then the target cannot die. The only downside I can see is if Jailor targets another town PR.

...? I don't see any people asking you for questions. Is there something I missed?
I was trying to get at least one question in every post.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

I'd like to mention that, at this point, we can start moving out of RQS/RVS. There's enough game content now to talk about, so I recommend town players start doing that instead of asking theory questions.

Peradon:

Scripten: Based on previous experience with BM's, how do you expect this game to swing? What do you expect out of the more experienced players?

Usually, newbie games swing toward scum wins. That being said, the last two newbie games, including one which was a sprint, have ended in town wins. (The non-sprint one had both scum players replaced with very experienced players and town still won.) So really, it's up in the air. As long as everyone stays active and scumhunts with enthusiasm, we can definitely pull another win.

Comrade Shamrock:

Scripten:
If you were the cop would you prefer to have a jailor who blocked you two nights running or no jailer at all? Assume mafia targeted you the first night.

Definitely prefer to have a jailer. I never let my scumhunting rely entirely on the night, and being protected that first night would also mean that I could be useful later on. Most guilty results don't happen until later in the game. (Though, lucky inspects aren't exactly rare, either.)

On that note, for this and future games, if you are a power role, don't be afraid to scumhunt! A lot of players erroneously think that being active as a PR is a death sentence, because obviously scum would target you for a night kill, right? Thankfully, scum often go for players who flip with the least amount of information, so hitting active players can turn a player whose reads are on the mark into conftown, drawing attention to the scumteam they are suspecting. Scum HATE attention; it's how they get caught.

As a related, but slightly perpendicular point, try not to analyse NK flips too much as town. This often leads into WIFOM territory, and confusing the town is often the only goal of the scum's night kill. Even if the scum do something entirely against expectations, be prepared for tomfoolery.

Mastahcheese:

[1]No, my role tells me to find something elses.
Do you think that was a slip by me? Or me attempting to slip you up?

Well, you're certainly presenting it as the second option. At the current time, I'm not sure which it initially was, since I don't know your alignment.

[2] Go read the first BM I was in. Questions like that helped me catch scum D1. They are not sub-optimal.

Can you link me to it, please?

[3] I'd only be a danger to the town if I weren't one. I don't like the way you worded this. It feels loaded. Are you worried about being inspected? You're an IC, after all.

It's hardly any more loaded than the question you asked me. Do you consider votes on you to be scummy?

I am not worried about being inspected. In fact, due to the increased suspicion that ICs get due to their role in the game, I'd very much welcome being inspected.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2015, 01:34:21 pm »

Here it is.

And no, votes aren't scummy. What inspires you to ask this deflection question?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 01:36:19 pm »

I should probably shut up and leave this in Scripten's hands, he's got this well and truly down.  However, if you are a power role, you do need to take a little bit of care not to be THE scumhunter.  If you are perceived as too big of a threat to the scumteam, they probably will kill you.  So scumhunt, but don't be the main person scumhunting.  Although you newbies will probably have an easy time of that, since Scripten scumhunts a LOT.

Remember also that the IC's are not out to get you.   I've seen this falacy in several games.  They have the same chance of being scum as everyone else.

Oh, and mastahcheese: ugh, the first bm you were in...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:38:47 pm by 4maskwolf »

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2015, 03:09:20 pm »

It makes an unreasonable assumption, then asks a question based in that assumption.
Someone told me that town play is about nitpicking at players until something tangible manifests. I guess that means this instance of your behavior is excusable.
This answer seems odd to me. You state that I have been giving you loaded questions, yet in this post you turn it around and say that I'm actually doing somthing town. By your own reasoning, shouldnt you, if you are town, be nitpicking me right back, instead of brushing me off?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »

Because you're toeing the line of OMGUS and it worries me.

Reading your old game now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 04:11:02 pm »

Because you're toeing the line of OMGUS and it worries me.

Please don't.

That was the worst game I ever played.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 04:14:49 pm »

Having read that game, I'm not sure if I agree with your assertion that you were being pedantic there. Perhaps it's just a difference in our definitions, but I would say that makeinu's play was definitely scummy and your play was good, but I disagree that you were being pedantic in the same way in that game. It is possible that your play has changed due to experience, but I was merely calling it as I saw it.

@4maskwolf: Had to. <3 If it's any consolation, I was mostly concentrating on D1 and was skimming save for Mastahcheese's specific interactions.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 04:59:05 pm »

Scipten, since you are an IC, if you were Mafia, would it be difficult to give really good scumhunting methods to the noobs? Or would your info be completely unbiased?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

Scipten, since you are an IC, if you were Mafia, would it be difficult to give really good scumhunting methods to the noobs? Or would your info be completely unbiased?

My IC info is, to the best of my ability and knowledge, as unbiased as I can possibly make it, to the extent that I would post information that may lead to me being implicated as scum.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

I was asking if it was difficult to do so. I know you try to give unbiased results.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:03 pm »

Zormod: What is your oppinion of scripten's scumhunting of mastahcheese? Do you think he is grasping at straws, or do you think he has legitimate concern for how mastahcheese worded his questions? Or, do you think scripten is merely trying to pressure mastahcheese?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27