Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507415 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #4005 on: February 22, 2022, 01:56:39 am »

I can't even install the game from gamepass. Won't even download gives a 0x0000000001 error or something.

Typical ms crap.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: February 22, 2022, 07:23:50 am »

Playing defender is a blast - attacker not so much, especially when lacking ranged units capable of taking out those towers (even on minor settlements).

The higher than before losses and slower replenishment rate mean that even if you wanted to paint the map it's going to be a much slower process.

i have the feeling the makeshift towers you can build as defender for supplies are even better than the ones you get on walled settlements... what is very weird...
but maybe making wall towers 360° like the makeshift towers would be too strong?

the wall towers can be upgraded 3 times for better projectiles... i never fought in a place with maxed out wall towers... i really hope they way better than the makeshift ones. even the basic wall towers should be stronger than the buildable ones.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: February 22, 2022, 07:59:11 am »

I trolled Khorne so hard it wasn't even funny, at the end of one siege I had like 5 piercing towers shooting after the rallying troops, I like to fight Khorne with some luck to get a good map, you can pull off the craziest victories against khorne.

Spoiler: sauce (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:16:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: February 22, 2022, 02:08:42 pm »

Speaking of Khorne, I just beat his campaign today. If you're having issues with replenishment or losing settlements, Khorne's mechanics and techs mean he has very few problems with that, since you replenish pretty much everywhere and have a chance to settle razed settlements in your provinces every turn.

Skarbrand's ability to gain movement from winning battles can lead to him fighting a dozen battles a turn if you set it up right. Bloodthirsters and the lord version of Bloodthirsters are super fun units, and most of his roster I found pretty fun to utilize. You make a ton of money winning battles. I spent most of the campaign supposedly losing money, but since I was constantly winning battles or sacking settlements for cash I was fine.

Right now I'm thinking I'll try Cathay next. A non-demon faction with lots of ranged on the complete opposite side of the map seems like a good follow up from Khorne.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: February 22, 2022, 06:01:30 pm »

I have Gamepass, so I have WH3. And boy oh boy, I thought I knew what terrible load times look like. I literally cannot play this off of my EHD, three minutes to load a single settings change is two minutes and fifty-nine seconds too many. And it didn't even manage to load into the battle, I had to just kill the process after about five or ten minutes so that I could get on with my life.

Going to have to make like 140 GB of space on my small internal SSD for this game, but the tiny amount of the prologue I managed to play made me want to play it. Guess I'll have to figure something out. I wonder what I even have still installed on the SSD...
May I recommend the excellent and free WinDirStat, which breaks up the space everything uses into a pretty picture so you can quantify exactly how much space everything takes up and if you say, accidently have 25 gigs of anime on your SSD instead of on your HHD where it belongs.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: February 22, 2022, 07:18:41 pm »

I have Gamepass, so I have WH3. And boy oh boy, I thought I knew what terrible load times look like. I literally cannot play this off of my EHD, three minutes to load a single settings change is two minutes and fifty-nine seconds too many. And it didn't even manage to load into the battle, I had to just kill the process after about five or ten minutes so that I could get on with my life.

Going to have to make like 140 GB of space on my small internal SSD for this game, but the tiny amount of the prologue I managed to play made me want to play it. Guess I'll have to figure something out. I wonder what I even have still installed on the SSD...
May I recommend the excellent and free WinDirStat, which breaks up the space everything uses into a pretty picture so you can quantify exactly how much space everything takes up and if you say, accidently have 25 gigs of anime on your SSD instead of on your HHD where it belongs.

WinDirStat is a great tool. Love it so much.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: February 23, 2022, 04:48:42 pm »

So in the forge of souls battle, I think you need to hold all 3 zones after killing the boss, I am pissed, they keep spawning throughout, the big swarm locked me out of the final zone after the big battle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

update:

I do not like this cheese, I do not like it at all. They do appear to stop spawning but what that graph doesn't tell you about the leftovers is that they include 4-5 healthy soul striders :(. Had I managed to get rid of the flying units without losing all zones at one point, I probably could have cheesed it out. I spent 3-4 hours on 2 attempts tonight -.-. Maybe I just reload and go there with a doomstack of spear ice guards, that might help... I don't like this battle.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:16:10 pm by dragdeler »
let

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: February 23, 2022, 07:41:15 pm »

You need to kill specific units, only some of them count as part of the final wave, the rest are just chaff there to exhaust your resources.

The final wave thrashed me in my first attempt as Undivided, but I found that pushing everything except a handful of units left at the first capture point to hold off the trickle of reinforcements from the bottom of the map up to the end zone to fight the last wave worked. Course I had fliers to take the fight to the air, which Kislev doesn't have the option of.

I think you kind of have to spend some time building up points to call in reinforcements before triggering the final fight though, not long, just until the extra points for holding the most recent capture point stop coming in. Towers and barriers are only useful for the first capture point, the other two don't really benefit because of the layout, but extra troops are always useful and were instrumental in my fight.

Specifically I left something like four Khorne Warriors w/shields and four pink horrors to hold the line against the endless spawns from the bottom, backed by towers and barriers. Everything else, including most of the reinforcement units I could spawn fought through to the second capture point, then on to the third for the final showdown. I wasn't well equipped to kill Soul Grinders though, so they were a slog to get through each time they showed up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: February 24, 2022, 12:25:17 am »

At least for me I think I just needed to hold the last point.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: February 24, 2022, 01:53:27 am »

I'm pretty sure you don't need to hold the previous points. Maybe not even the last point since the final stretch, at least during the Slaanesh survival battle, was to kill the daemon prince that appears. Once I focused them down and killed them the battle ended.

As well as calling in reinforcements, there's a button on the lower U.I. that allows you to teleport a unit out and have them replenish so you can call them back in again later at full strength.

Edit: Ah, the Forge of Souls battle. I was talking about the survival battles.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:34:44 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: February 24, 2022, 05:12:16 am »

I held the first zone in my attempts yesterday without it, it's just impossible.

But the third zone is so mean, i need all my ranged on be'lakor and then the game just keeps spawning shit monsters in the middle of them.

I will have to look after this replenish function probably the single reason I wasted so much time on this i bet they even comeback with ammo.

Still a stupid battle that'll waste your time, it's not obvious the first time where they'll come from.

let

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: February 25, 2022, 01:00:41 pm »

So because my Skrag game is getting bogged down with aggressive neighbours I decided to take a sabbatical and play as Skarbrand on Legendary. It's going rather well, the daemontide* that forms in the mid-late game has arisen with me as part of it, so the only threat to me is Kislev who are beelining through Norsca to sail straight towards me whenever they can. One soul from facing the final battle, and my army is basically all rank 9 units.

*Because of all the relationship boosting mechanics some of the chaos factions have in this game, and the bonuses for all being at war with Kislev and Cathay and various rogue armies the various daemons all become friends after a while and focus on the rest of the world. Despite some early squabbling with two generic factions and some back and forth with N'Kari I'm now friends with every chaos faction and have a single nice developed province to equip Skarbrand's army with. When the expanded map comes out I think we're going to see an actual massive war between Order and Chaos.

EDIT: Finished my Skarbrand game. Nearly got beaten to the finish line by Cathay, but I was able to pull the trigger on a cult in their lands to start sabotaging them at the source while I gathered my final soul. The final battle itself was strangely easy, considering my strategy had become simply mobbing my enemy one by one. Probably the great weapon minotaurs, they seem to hit like a truck.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:38:22 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: February 28, 2022, 08:00:11 pm »

Well, I just powered through an ogre campaign in what seems little time. They're kind of OP, it's funny. Man I haven't even tried all units yet.

Though... I got my dose like, I could go for mortal empires now, but the chaos stuff gets old quick.
let

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: February 28, 2022, 08:08:10 pm »

Well, I just powered through an ogre campaign in what seems little time. They're kind of OP, it's funny. Man I haven't even tried all units yet.

Though... I got my dose like, I could go for mortal empires now, but the chaos stuff gets old quick.

Greasus or Skrag?

I've still not gone back and finished my ogre game, but they were feeling really good at taking on the realms of chaos battles, and the AI really doesn't know how to respond to units with stalk in siege battles.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: February 28, 2022, 11:53:09 pm »

Ogres were probably one of the most annoying to fight as Skarbrand, since most of his anti-large units are in Tier 5, and there's fewer unit models to kill for your battle effects.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 277