Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507408 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #3975 on: February 18, 2022, 06:02:45 pm »

Outposts let you recruit units from your ally. They also add a couple of units to the garrison of your army. I believe for the level 1 of your outpost you need to be in your ally's territory, but you can recruit globally from it at level 2. You also need to use allegiance points to purchase units.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: February 19, 2022, 03:49:25 am »

started to play as slaneesh, first thought that the "all fast, no armor, no ranged" units would be a bit of a pain... but so far its going surprisingly well.
even against khorne, i had a fight against basically mostly 100 armor chaos warriors and they got dissected by daemonettes... and somehow my mage even got 280 kills.
with the fast infantry i could use terrain really well to my advantage... so much that my army ended up "deploying" on the enemy half of the map before the fight broke out.
also the cult and gift of slaneesh mechanics i like alot :D spreading it everywhere in the human empires is fun.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: February 19, 2022, 05:54:16 pm »

Completed the Undivided campaign in two attempts, felt rather constrained by the economy even just on Hard. Was super easy to befriend the other Chaos factions though, so my only enemies wound up being Kislev and the empire once the initial Norscan enemies were dealt with.

First run went badly, as I kind of leapt in without knowing how to play the daemons and got screwed over and wound up lagging too far behind in the campaign. Focused on Khorne units with Tzeentch support, which worked ok but not amazing and by the time I got a strong infrastructure set up it was too late.

Second run focused on Tzeentch in the early game, spent most of the game using Tzeentch gifts to get magic, added some Khorne units to replace Forsaken as my meat shields, made better use of allied recruits. Wound up getting some plagueclaw catapults from the Skaven to give me some strong ranged weapons while I was still waiting on getting soul grinders and skull cannons, and some skinwolves and then mammoths to serve as monsters. Wound up keeping the plagueclaws and a hellpit abomination right through to the final battle.

Was amused that Zuvassin makes an appearance in a random event. He's one of the rogue chaos gods that hasn't been mentioned since the 80s.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: February 20, 2022, 08:40:31 pm »

Was amused that Zuvassin makes an appearance in a random event. He's one of the rogue chaos gods that hasn't been mentioned since the 80s.
Next thing you know they're gonna drop Malal on us.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: February 21, 2022, 01:06:53 am »

So many negative reviews on steam about performance. And here I am, with a POS video card with only 4gb of video ram going "wow this performs better than warhammer 2 by far". I can play medium preset, tweaked to ultra unit details+unit size+think one or two other settings involving units (I put trees higher and grass slightly higher as well) put max...and it plays great.

I couldn't play ultra unit size on my video card on warhammer 2 no matter how much I dropped the graphics settings, without seeing lag

whatever they did, they did amazing

RX 480 4gb card btw. Maybe its not a POS and others just have really really bad GPUs (it is theoretically comparable to a nvidia GTX 1060 as far as I know), but the 4gb vram REALLY hurts it in most modern games

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: February 21, 2022, 06:49:15 am »

I did have issues, that everytime I changed graphic settings, my borderless window exceeded the screen space forcing me to restart the game. That doesn't help if you want to finetune... The game put me everything way up on ultra, I disabled the stupid fancy stuff and capped the game to 48 fps. My computer got really hot on an extended playing period yesterday, but it's ok / to be anticipated.

So, ursun roars 4 times right? Will I be able to still save him if I slip into my fourth chaos realm a few days before the rifts close? I'm pretty sure they don't kick you out until you got your deamon prince soul, but what will happen after the 4th? Can I trigger the forge of souls myself, will I be teleported there anyway or am I screwed?
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: February 21, 2022, 09:00:20 am »

Assuming there's still a mega-campaign in III, how is it?
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: February 21, 2022, 09:14:20 am »

Not implemented yet, for now you can only play the northeast with the factions inroduced in this version.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't even pick norsca atm, eventhough they are very much on the map.
let

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: February 21, 2022, 10:34:23 am »

in WH3 you can just play as the 8 main factions:
Kislev, Cathay, Ogres, Deamons Undivided, Khorne, Slaneesh, Nurgle, Tzeench.
and the main campaign mechanics and victory conditions involve these 8 factions.

but on the map are alot of other factions: empire, vampires, wood elves, norsca, dvarves, skaven so there is still alot of variety to fight against. (i even saw some high elves in a character quest battle)
in total there are around ~106 factions on the map. that is whats shown in the end turn number.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: February 21, 2022, 10:41:59 am »

Hard to say with CA, but I imagine Mortal Empires is going to take a little while. They have to revamp a lot of factions to agree with TW3 systems, and I suspect there's going to be some sloppiness there for a while. Like, I imagine some factions are going to get a weak pass and be underpowered or semi-broken for TW3 until they either get a DLC or CA does a full rework.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: February 21, 2022, 11:01:49 am »

While my computer forces some settings to be on low, I've had maybe one crash in my 30 hours of playtime so far. So I haven't really had much in terms of performance issues.

Mortal Empires wasn't available at Warhammer 2's launch either, and when it did launch for 2 it came without Norsca because of some internal coding issues. It sounds like they've fixed the latter issue, but like nenjin said there's probably going to be some slow reworking of things even once it releases.

The main factions I haven't seen in 3 are Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast. You fight dark elves in the ocean treasure battles (although they seem to have imported the flavor text of vampire coast from 2 without changing it), and there's lizardmen on the islands in the south east of the map.

I haven't seen Throgg or Wulfric at all, but the map does contain their previous starts from 1 and 2. I've seen Throt, Karl Franz, Ungrim, and Mannfred in the game already but not playable. It would be cool if they were playable at some point on the Warhammer III map.

So, ursun roars 4 times right? Will I be able to still save him if I slip into my fourth chaos realm a few days before the rifts close? I'm pretty sure they don't kick you out until you got your deamon prince soul, but what will happen after the 4th? Can I trigger the forge of souls myself, will I be teleported there anyway or am I screwed?
I'm expecting him to roar until someone gets four souls. I do believe you get kicked out if the timer runs out, but I'm not certain. I've mainly just been kicked because another faction beat me to a soul.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: February 21, 2022, 01:00:56 pm »

So far my biggest disappointment with Nurgle is the lack of regeneration on most of their units and seemingly poor replenishment until you unlock the plague that gives 35% replenishment a turn (which makes for a slow early game when you "summon" units but they take longer than the equivalent recruitment would for another faction to get to full strength). Afterwards you're usually running around much faster than most even for top tier units.

3 overall is very slim on the unit rosters, and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. You can even see directly in the UI what other factions rosters consist of.

Diplomacy is much improved - actually worth doing things other than war constantly.

Chaos realms are fun to fight in but AI seems to cheat even more than normal when it comes to moving through them. It's best to remember where the chaos gates spawn, as otherwise unless your lord is right there the turn they spawn you're likely going to lose the race.

Defensive battles are a lot of fun (especially minor settlements, which is nice as those were just unit slogs previously). Attackers are at a severe disadvantage under even a basic tower if you can hold an enemy off under it and use chokepoints well.

I do seem to get some massive framerate drops between turns at times, but otherwise relatively stable on an older 1070 with some settings turned down. The load times are pretty horrendous, even on an m.2 though (comparing to 2).

I did manage to hard lock myself out of the tutorial by deselecting a town when it popped up the "You must recruit a new lord" section.

Worth trying on GamePass if you have it, but I would recommend hold off on buying until it's had another year or two to iron out some of the bugs (and get more factions/content).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:36:39 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: February 21, 2022, 01:15:01 pm »

Yes the 4 chaos gods in particular have few units in their roster.

And I absolutely love that we can give settlements now. Dwarves are loyal so once you're on their good site you can litterally seal off annoying parts of the map. What I like less is that the game forces us now to balance offers... In most cases I can't just offer a treaty without any payments on top... It's silly you wait a few turns, now it's the AI that pays you for the same treaty.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:33 pm »

From what I've read, all factions in TW3 have replenishment issues. It's an intentional design choice on CA's part. In TWH2 you could bump replenishment through the roof and basically go into each turn at full strength even after taking a walloping, assuming you're in friendly territory etc....so it seems an intentional choice on their part to make replenishment harder to get so fights have a bit more consequence. Also dovetails the difficulty level settings as they relate to auto-resolve.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: February 21, 2022, 01:56:24 pm »

From what I've seen, the higher difficulties are harder than their counterparts in 2, so there's no shame in dropping down a difficulty if things are getting too rough.

I haven't had much issue with replenishment since Khorne is all about spamming cheap armies and I have a ton of replenishment buffs, but Nurgle is very much a slow paced turtle faction, so I can see how that could be annoying.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 277