Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507562 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #3885 on: July 01, 2021, 11:16:01 am »

One of the teaser videos for the DLC showed off the bottom half of orges, so they aren't entirely silent on what mercenary reinforcements are.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: July 01, 2021, 04:53:20 pm »

One of the teaser videos for the DLC showed off the bottom half of orges, so they aren't entirely silent on what mercenary reinforcements are.
Yep. They just sent out an email announcing that the new Lord is a Great Bray Shaman and the mercenaries are ogres.

And it looks like the Lord is Thorek Ironbrow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:14:09 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: July 02, 2021, 02:19:14 pm »

Details on Beastmen changes by LotW.

I'm hyped to play them.

-Malagor's fucking wings actually do something now besides just making him a bigger target! He can finally fly! Apparently he is the only Small-sized Single Entity Flying unit in the game, and has a default speed of like 120. Basically the perfect kiting/missile wasting/wizard helicopter. With all the stuff you can get him, he's already looking like a one man Doomstack without the Sword of Khaine.

-Beastmen do not pay for Lords, Heroes or Units, either to recruit or upkeep. The Herd buildings do cost a shit load of Favor, but they don't spend any for the primary focus of the game: combat. Which means you no longer have to hide and crap your pants and worry about Bestial Rage falling while you try to raid somewhere to replenish your forces that just got their asses handed to them, while barely being able to afford replacement units. Now, if you lose an entire herd, you just recruit a new lord next turn and spend a few turns for his army to recruit up to full. Endless herds. Most units that used to be 2 or 3 turn recruits are now 1. The only limitations are the unit recruitment caps that you have to upgrade. Any flavor of Beastman army you want to build though, go right ahead, the direct cost is completely irrelevant, and the indirect cost you can just pay with enough bloodshed. I know this is basically Tomb King unit economy, but I never played them so it's new to me.

-Moon phases no longer come with crippling penalties, they're just buffs now.

-You plant a Herdstone in a city you captured. A pre-defined part of the map around that region then becomes a "Blood Ground." All combats and kills in that Blood Ground region then generate a resource called Dread that you can spend on bonuses and upgrades on a Beastmen-specific army panel. The Blood Ground seem hard coded for how big they are and what they encompass. Think of them like....animal hunting grounds.

-Once a Herdstone is planted, a ritual starts. The more kills and shit you do in that Blood Ground, the closer the ritual gets to completion. Upon completion, any ruins in that region cannot be re-occupied by other factions until they destroy the Herdstone you planted. This is pretty huge. It means you can actually depopulate the world now rather than razing a couple cities and having the AI gobble them up as soon as you leave. Wonder if Chaos will get a mini update or....because they really need this mechanic too. There's Landmark Herdstones too, in the usual places you expect like big faction capitals that have beef with the Beefmen. But you have to plant a Herdstone there to know if it's a unique one.

-Herdstone placement is actually fairly important, beyond the Landmarks. Where you plant the Herdstone has an impact on how much Destruction (winning battles, razing cities) you can generate. The more cities and the more developed cities there are within a Herdstone's Blood Grounds, the more Destruction you can rack up. The Herdstone stores these Destruction points, and you can keep storing them beyond what's actually needed to complete the ritual. In addition to all the above stuff the ritual does upon completion, you also get "Marks of Ruination" that basically gate how many armies you can field at once and what units you're allowed to recruit. (You still need the actual building in your herd to recruit the units there as well.) All this taken together means where you drop your Herdstones matters, like a sub-tactical layer to all the normal TWH logistical considerations. Because smaller, more densely packed regions with more capitals and more armies running around makes for more potential fights in a single Herdstone's Blood Ground, and therefore more Destruction Points (and Dread) get built up faster to power up your ritual and make your whole faction stronger in a really short period of time. Pretty cool stuff all around, really adds necessary spice to Horde style gameplay.

-Herdstones aren't really cities per se. But there is a main Herdstone building you can upgrade to provide a few faction bonuses and a garrison, which gets better just like a main settlement building. And the game replaces lower tier units with higher tier ones as the garrison gets better. I imagine that change will be coming to a lot of factions. There's also slots for additional support buildings at the Herdstone, that give bonuses to stuff inside the Blood Ground. Better map movement for you, worse for the enemy, sight range, bonus Magic Reserves, all sorts of stuff.

-Momentum is the name of the game now. Beastmen get a ton of faction unlocks that are all permanent. So even if you get curb stomped, you can rise again within 5 turns more or less where you left off.....for free. And it's not like you even need to defend Herdstones that aggressively. All they're doing is spreading Chaos Corruption, they're not a real part of your economy. Killing and destroying as much as you can and gradually unlocking bonuses, while paying no upkeep for anything, is the basis of your economy now. About the only thing I'm unclear on is if a Herdstone gets destroyed, if you loose the Marks of Ruination that it was storing. That would represent a pretty significant setback to your campaign.

-Dread, which is the other faction resource alongside Favor, gets used for a bunch of stuff. You get it for winning battles, inflicting casualties, razing cities and generally fucking stuff up. How much you get per dude killed seems somewhat related to what tier they were, but it's not clear. There's lots of ways to buff how much Dread you get too.

-Legendary lords can now be instantly confederated by spending Dread once you have enough of it. They cannot be confederated by normal means.

-Increasing the # of lords and heroes you can have, # of a specific unit that can be in one army, what tier you can upgrade your Herdstones to, all done with Dread. Beastmen still have a tech tree but it's not the primary way they upgrade their stuff now.

-Legendary Lords' horde buildings remain in place even if they're killed and re-recruited.

-Multiple army-based cast abilities now. One that shatters walls, one that buffs a unit insanely before dealing them a lot of damage (great for the MULTIPLE sources of free Cygor summons now interspersed through the Beastmen army) and one that destroys enemy ammo reserves, and halves their range for the duration. Basically three Army-based casts that plugs several major weaknesses of the army (sieging and superior missile fire) and suicide squad buff for your free cast summons.

-Some pretty sick Beastmen specific gear they can buy with Favor too. Health Regen, Extra Winds of Magic, Bound Cygor Summons, Physical Resist. And they can buy as many of them as they want.

-Bestial Rage no longer generates a shit army that can screw you over in MP by revealing your position or giving the AI a visible army to swarm. Now, Bestial Rage just provides buffs and a large debuff to Growth if it bottoms out.

-Growth is only used for upgrading your Herd's main settlement building it seems. What used to be THE BIGGEST pain in the ass for Beastmen: hording growth for alllll the stupid buildings you needed to build for your unit offerings, is now almost irrelevant after several dozen turns. All Herd buildings are paid for with Favor, and that's it.

-Tech tree is now something you unlock by doing challenges, like defeating 4 different factions in combat, win 5 ambush battles, yadda yadda. And there's some nutty buffs in there as well. Immunity to Psychology for all Beastmen units, along with several bonuses. 15% Physical Resistance for all Heroes and Lords. With the numbers I'm starting to see, hitting caps on Physical Resistance for most guys you can about should be fairly easy.

-Unrelated specifically to Beastmen, but they got rid of the Auto-Resolve bar. The game now just straight up tells you what the outcome is going to be, and what units will be lost if you decide to auto-resolve. Unsure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's nice to know who you're going to lose. On the other though, the ambiguity and the risk-taking of the old way was a big motivation to fight out battles. Now....it's just a calculation. "Do I need to fight again after this battle?" If no, auto-resolve. If yes, fight it out. The only other reason to fight out a battle is if you are grossly outnumbered but can still micro your way to victory. I think fewer reasons to play out battles isn't in the game's best interest.

LotW gives the update 10/10 and you can tell he's pretty excited about it, despite not actually liking Beastmen thematically. And I can see why. From a purely numerical perspective, Beastmen now have bonuses coming in from so many sources it's kind of crazy. Bestial Rage. Moon Phases. Herd Buildings. Tech tree. Beastmen Upgrade screen.

But I think the thing that really defines the Beastmen change is how much shit they get for free. While their Horde Settlement buildings are easily expensive as the Vampire Counts, the amount of stuff they get for no real or actual cost in an economy that doesn't run on upkeep is sorta surprising.

Legend says he's basically steamrolling on Legendary difficulty. He ranks Beastmen near the Skaven in terms of power now, eclipsing Dwarves, Orks, Empire....It almost sounds like overkill from where I'm sitting, as someone who grubbed and scrapped in the dirt playing old Beefmen despite how bad they were.

Unsurprisingly perhaps, he said the AI isn't using them anywhere near to their full potential even on Legendary difficulty. So they're massively buffed and powerful in the player's hands but only somewhat more powerful as an AI. They're not meant to topple people's campaigns, they're meant as a power fantasy for the player. And I'm down with that. Although I don't know what they bode for MP.

If I harp on what Legend is saying so much, it's because I've heard his take on pretty much every faction in the game at length now. He's almost hyper critical of a lot of things sometimes. This is probably the most excited and positive I think I've heard him about anything short of Skaven weapon teams. So I think that counts for quite a bit, when Lord Cheese himself is genuinely excited about something. We'll see if that opinion holds.

Anyways, super stoked. I think Beastmen have always been my secret favorite WHF army and it's nice to see them get their moment in the sun. Maybe it was the merciless stream of memes from the community about them, joking about them being broke and homeless, that made CA decide to go full throttle. Now they're GigaBeef, so alpha they don't even know what money is and they're gonna turn your homeland into a nature preserve.

Beastmen have always played second fiddle to Chaos in WHF. They've always been intended as really mean canon fodder, the vanguard of the Chaos invasion. Well.....now it's time for people to fear going into the dark woods again!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:53:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: July 03, 2021, 02:08:46 am »

The changes do sound really nice. I like that you can creat the herdstones around the map and it's interesting how they stop recolonisation. I wonder if that's something CA will put over to Chaos as well?

The dwarfs also get a number of updates as well. A new casting system for runes where they act more like spells instead of abilities, though they don't cost winds of magic and casting one rune puts them all on a character-specific cooldown. There's also some changes to the grudge system, having more bonuses and penalties. I think high levels of grudge gets you free units of slayers?

Dwarf characters also have slots for runes on their character sheets. So you don't put them in the followerers area anymore which is great. There's also a bunch of new runes and items you can create from the forge mechanic.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: July 03, 2021, 02:24:54 am »

The more I watch LotW do a Beastman stream, the more it's starting to feel like.....CA just turned the dials to 11 on everything. Because this may be the last army update to TWH2. (LotW doesn't think Chaos is going to get a revamp in 2.) So they maybe said "We could introduce additional costs in some places and balance this out so it's not just a linear slope to being completely broken." But instead they made it so good and easy to play that it feels....too generous. Sorta like when you're playing a D&D game and the GM bestows upon you a +10 Vorpal Sword.....at Level 5 or so. You're like "Aw cool, I'm bad ass. Chop slash chop." But then you realize that now everything is trivially easy for you.

Making me think playing Beefmen on Normal difficulty where I'm comfortable at will be way, way too easy. LotW is doing some cheesy Favor exploits so maybe I'm getting a false impression of it. But several times my jaw has just kinda hung open in surprise at how good this, that and the other things are.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: July 03, 2021, 03:46:23 am »

Rune-magic? May I dream of dawi-sa.... Knowing how everything is a ripoff these days I bet in the end ogres wind up auxilliary troops, no dawi-sa, and I'll get cathay as preorder giftLC  :D ;)
let

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: July 03, 2021, 08:39:16 am »

Cathay isn't a preorder DLC because its already confirmed to be playable in the game at launch.

The ogres currently are auxiliary troops once this DLC releases, but given that they're a new model, folks are speculating this is a mini-teaser for Ogre Kingdoms being a pre-order DLC for 3.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:45:00 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: July 03, 2021, 09:20:11 am »

Sure logically, note though that even your wording doesn't exclude the possibility of it happening the dlc just needs to be available at day 1 to make it technically true. Since there is no actual lore it would be the perfect dissapointement, I don't think there is people super duper hyped about them, how could they.

You're probably right though.
let

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: July 03, 2021, 09:35:08 am »

Sure logically, note though that even your wording doesn't exclude the possibility of it happening the dlc just needs to be available at day 1 to make it technically true. Since there is no actual lore it would be the perfect dissapointement, I don't think there is people super duper hyped about them, how could they.

Let me spell it out for you clearer then. There is a 0% chance of Cathay being the unannounced preorder race pack DLC. Its already been announced to be part of the base game while the race pack explicitly hasn't been announced yet. Cathay is one of the 6 races you get when you buy the game along with the four Chaos God factions and Kislev. There's promotional videos out there talking about how CA is working with GW on translating Cathay to the game, and Cathay was teased at the end of the announcement trailer similar to how Skaven were teased for 2.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: July 03, 2021, 10:21:29 am »

Let me spell it out for you clearer then. There is a 0% chance of Cathay being the unannounced preorder race pack DLC. Its already been announced to be part of the base game while the race pack explicitly hasn't been announced yet. Cathay is one of the 6 races you get when you buy the game along with the four Chaos God factions and Kislev. There's promotional videos out there talking about how CA is working with GW on translating Cathay to the game, and Cathay was teased at the end of the announcement trailer similar to how Skaven were teased for 2.

Skaven confirmed as launch day DLC for 3, calling it now!

Also damn, Beastmen sound rather interesting now, might have to get the DLC just to give them a try :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: July 03, 2021, 11:30:30 am »

Beastman are the one DLC I have yet to pick up, so I'm definitely looking forward to checking out for the first time, and I've been meaning to do a dwarf game again, so this update is well-timed.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:54 am »

So I got the beastmen DLC and figured, while I wait I might see what the big fuss was about.

Did a Malagor ME start and holy shit is it bad. Your economy is shit, your early units are shit, you can't really camp out and build up your horde without getting attrition on your ass, nobody really likes you. I almost immediately lost my second starting army because by the time I had a decent stack going on it (since you can't really afford a full stack, nor recruit it in a reasonable time at first) I was met by a full greenskin stack of savage orks, which aren't the best melee units around, but they're a shitton better than the stuff you can get early on.

They have so few buildings as well, not that you'll be able to build them all anytime soon but it's kinda pitiful to have less choice than a bloody minor settlement of certain factions, ditto for the tech tree.

Can't believe this shit could pass as ok for the asking price when you compare it to something like the TK or VC faction DLC's.
AS - IG

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: July 05, 2021, 10:16:13 am »

So I got the beastmen DLC and figured, while I wait I might see what the big fuss was about.

Did a Malagor ME start and holy shit is it bad. Your economy is shit, your early units are shit, you can't really camp out and build up your horde without getting attrition on your ass, nobody really likes you. I almost immediately lost my second starting army because by the time I had a decent stack going on it (since you can't really afford a full stack, nor recruit it in a reasonable time at first) I was met by a full greenskin stack of savage orks, which aren't the best melee units around, but they're a shitton better than the stuff you can get early on.

They have so few buildings as well, not that you'll be able to build them all anytime soon but it's kinda pitiful to have less choice than a bloody minor settlement of certain factions, ditto for the tech tree.

Can't believe this shit could pass as ok for the asking price when you compare it to something like the TK or VC faction DLC's.

they were still learning how to build the game. plus i heard they ran out of Charlemagne's mid production...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: July 05, 2021, 11:41:06 am »

Charlemagne's mid production?
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: July 05, 2021, 11:49:04 am »

A meme about certain monsters that they're introducing now would've cost more than the entire Charlemange DLC for Atilla.

@angelious, sure, but in that case it's a bit shit that it took them this long to rectify that.

I will say tho, there is some enjoyment in the constant tension of barely scraping trough every single turn and having to figure out and pick your battles as opposed to just roflstomping everything with your LL and his posse of shieldmaidens :V

I do feel that will not last forever tho and that it'll get frustrating relatively quick.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 277