Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Arrival  (Read 1637 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Goblin Arrival
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »

How long does it normally take for goblin ambushes/babysnatchers to come?  I've played for a while but after the latest major update I haven't seen any goblins except a weremoose.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Arrival
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:36:34 pm »

It could be a long time or almost immediately, it's sort of random now

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:55:39 am »

It's not random, just dependant on things you wouldn't take into account in most embarks. It's based on a lot of legends stuff like how far the nearest goblin civ is, how many soldiers they have, if there's anything in between you like another dwarven fortress, and then also randomness. Those are mainly just the things added by 0.40 though, I would guess that wealth and population are still factored in so if you're just 7 dwarves living in a small hole in the ground only producing enough food to live goblins won't pay nearly as much attention to you as they would if you're a giant dwarven city of 140 dwarves constantly making masterwork items of all kinds.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:12:04 am »

My current game in .24 is on hold until DT comes out but I had the same problem in .23. I started maybe 3 fortresses, tried to get pretty close to goblins but no cigar. Let's hope we don't have another game breaking no sieges bug on our hands...

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:31 pm »

Yeah i'm about 60 dwarves strong, decent wealth and a fledgling military.  At least in my old fort kobolds showed up, here I have nothing.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:16 pm »

I don't know what i'm doing wrong or if it's the game, but it's extremely boring.  I need goblins.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:58 pm »

60 dwarves isn't actually that much by the default, how old is your fortress?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:45:14 pm »

2 years.  There would have at least been an ambush or snatcher, I used to have em in 34.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:51:28 pm »

The rules changed, now it isn't so predictable or consistent., like he said:
It's not random, just dependant on things you wouldn't take into account in most embarks. It's based on a lot of legends stuff like how far the nearest goblin civ is, how many soldiers they have, if there's anything in between you like another dwarven fortress, and then also randomness. Those are mainly just the things added by 0.40 though, I would guess that wealth and population are still factored in so if you're just 7 dwarves living in a small hole in the ground only producing enough food to live goblins won't pay nearly as much attention to you as they would if you're a giant dwarven city of 140 dwarves constantly making masterwork items of all kinds.
It takes time and you have to build big and produce a lot for the goblins to come. It was about four years in my reclaimed fortress before the goblins came to shake things up, I can't guarantee you will get a similar timeframe, but it will probably take more than two years from first settling on a site for your green-skinned neighbors to get jealous and attack.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 02:50:41 pm »

Alright, thanks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »

Or you can settle near a dark tower if you're not too picky about race. I've had 2½ invasions in 4 years. The goblins haven't shown up yet, though, despite them being slightly closer (1.4 tiles vs 3). [The ½ invasion was the living leader(?) of the first force who fled and then returned alone half a year later. Since the leader of the second force has bolted as well, I guess I might get a repeat].
If you ARE picky about race, I can mention that all the invaders have been goblins, except a single elf. All but two were dead, of course.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »

Yeah i'm about 60 dwarves strong, decent wealth and a fledgling military.  At least in my old fort kobolds showed up, here I have nothing.
There used to be a minimum of 80 dwarves as one of needs to get a goblin siege. I am not sure if it is still so, though.

Goblin sites have action radius of 30 world tiles so if you are too far or on an island they won't come. I settles like 15 tiles away and the was going close to some elven sites those goblins were at war too and then around mountain range... so I have recently got my first goblin siege after 4 years at 158 dwarves, 1.8M wealth created and like 150k wealth exported. No kobold snatchers till that siege, too.

I am not sure what you do call "decent wealth" but I guess you are way lower so your goblins (if they even are in a decent enough state to be able to send siegers) are not interested by your fort yet. Also note the wealth reported by outgoing caravans should be more imported then your actual wealth, IIRC. So if recent caravans didn't manage to depart successfully to report your treasures, goblins may not get the right info.

If you are really low on things to fight, dig down for few dozen levels.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:33 pm »

I'm not saying goblin sieges don't show up, i'm saying NO goblins show up.  I used to get a squad or some babysnatchers at 30-40 at like year 2, but now I get absolutely nothing.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:03 pm »

Babysnatchers and ambushes don't seem to happen as often now, possibly not at all (I've never had either since 34). They may have been temporarily removed for simplicity while world simulation is being developed (just a guess, I have no idea what the actual reason is).

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »

Alright, if i'm not the only one that makes me feel a bit better.  Hopefully they're added in soon.
Pages: [1] 2