Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: The Art of War: Feudal Lord Simulator: OOC Thread  (Read 39755 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of War: Feudal Lord Simulator: OOC Thread (Sign ups closed!)
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2015, 08:58:52 pm »

All praise to the mastahcheese.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:12 pm »

IC Thread
eeeee♥
Thread.

* Tiruin drafts the plans of battle and emblazons the sides with hearts and cartoony rabbits.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:23 pm »

Joy. I got near the estate I wanted.
Maybe not THE one I wanted... but close, there's only one between it and me.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:18 pm »

Exxxcellent.

Edit: I'm assuming I can make several actions, seeing as it's an entire season's worth of time...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:16:39 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »

Cheese, I hope you're not using 15ppp; you have more players than the default posts per page. :P
The Cyan Menace

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »

How do we talk directly with other players? I mean, do we write letters in spoilers or are we allowed to send PMs to them?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2015, 09:34:37 pm »

How do we talk directly with other players? I mean, do we write letters in spoilers or are we allowed to send PMs to them?
Answered in IC thread, but I'll say here as well.

You have to post it as an action in game, because you have to send a runner with the message to the desired recipient.
This allows people to interfere with the runner, yes, because it's that kind of game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:23 pm »

Yo, kuya MC :O
We've talked in the IRC and--while you did say things are pretty freeform, I've to reiterate here that I'm asking for your...general health. Given that I know your daily schedule and stuff (thanks for the friendship by the way :) )

So, general ideas talked about [in the IRC we frequent] were:
[10:26]   Tiruin   But yeah--MC, what can we 'do'?
[10:27]   mastahcheese   It's pretty freeform.
~~~
[10:26]   mastahcheese   If you want to actually /control/ your armies, you have to be there with them. If you designate a general to do it for you, you have no control over them.
[10:26]   mastahcheese   But it's also safer to designate people
[10:26]   mastahcheese   Because then you aren't in the line of fire
~~~
[10:27]   Tiruin   Also I don't think anyone knows the [10:26]   mastahcheese   If you want to actually /control/ your armies, you have to be there with them. If you designate a general to do it for you, you have no control over them.
[10:27]   mastahcheese   Just talk to your advisors, they'll guide yu
[10:27]   mastahcheese   you*
~~~
[10:34]   mastahcheese   Assume that social policies are just the tradition vassalage-style setup that's typical of fantasy settings

So yeah :P
While I do love freeform duties, regarding your health and interpreting style of our many, many actions (given that you're playing with a 20+ playerbase--we need a system to account for everyone's action [nobody likes to be skipped! D:]).

What may we generally perform?
[ie Reform to the state...]

General Query List (on unstated things)
> Does the seasons affect anything (since 1 turn = 3 months; inferred is that we may be playing by season)
> Do we need to worry about logistics and supply lines, and in war may we act to disrupt the [probably inferred] supply lines?
> Do we require the construction of a 'navy' to cross water tiles? And how may other players know we have a navy?
> Are 'Spy Rings' a thing here?
> What is the general "victory condition" of the game?
> Some people, I believe, want to go for diplomacy with others (whether biased because of alliances or otherwise). How may this work, if possible?
> Are 'trivial' things like "worrying about the food of the country" or "worrying about the status of life of your royal family" a...'thing' to act on in game? [ie Modifying the food allocation in order to make people happier (but lessened food for the next season)]
> May we know hard-set rules? Like that one note on PMs--the general mechanic is we compose a letter in our IC-turn Spoiler and then send a runner off with it (because we are all under oath to not look at other's spoilers)
> May you emphasize in large text, the 'Only look at your OWN spoilers' deal? And if diplomacy is a 'thing', please modify a separate clause for that mechanic?

I (and many others undoubtedly) appreciate your work into this, MC. :)

Do note: The things pertaining to 'uninformed lordling must take the initiative to talk to peoples to know stuff' can easily be answered by 'Find it out yourself (in a non-curt way)'
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:55:24 pm by Tiruin »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:31 pm »

I have edited my action.
The Cyan Menace

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:20 pm »

I edited my action, adding certain things.

When we talk to our advisors, we get answers on the following season? (start of the next turn?)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »

So yeah :P
While I do love freeform duties, regarding your health and interpreting style of our many, many actions (given that you're playing with a 20+ playerbase--we need a system to account for everyone's action [nobody likes to be skipped! D:]).

What may we generally perform?
[ie Reform to the state...]
I'll describe the basics in order of which advisor you'd be asking.
Military:
I described the formation of an Army unit in the IC thread, and how it takes 3 turns from start to finish (Unless you think you can win with untrained farmers, or don't believe your people need to eat, or don't plan on having them leave your territory.)
Once an army is formed, their unit type will be presented.
There are three levels of units:
Peasant: Untrained, poorly equipped farmers and shop owners, these are a militia at best, and the forces you face when there is a rebellion.
Military: Trained troops with forged weapons and armor. These should form the bulk of your army, but it takes time and money.
Nobility: Each Noble House (Including your own!) has at least one unique unit available to it. These are your most powerful troops, but also the rarest, and you will have very few. Don't waste them!

There are also multiple classes of units, like Infantry, Archers, Cavalry, and possibly more. Some may only be available to certain levels.

For Navel Warfare, There are two types, "Boats" and "Ships". Boats can traverse rivers (water tiles where two opposite borders touch land) and coasts (water tiles when one border touches land). Ships can traverse Coasts and Oceans (No land borders)
Boats/Ships generally have no attack on their own, and instead rely on the units that occupy them.

Boats can hold 20 troops, and cost 5 gold per boat.
Ships can hold 100 troops, and cost 20 gold per ship.

When military forces enter hostile territory, the game shifts (for that area) to basically a turn-based affair that takes place within the single season, where the attacking general and defending general both post orders for how they want their forces to move through the area. This is before the armies actually meet and engage in battle. The goal is basically to try and reach more advantageous ground, flank your enemy, lay ambushes, and otherwise prepare in every way possible before the final confrontation. (Read up on Sun Tzu's Art of War, pretty much all factors of tactics are ripped straight from that, including morale, supplies, and everything. Even scouts and spies, which are important if you want to know where your enemy's forces are while maneuvering your own!)

Once battle is actually met, there are no rolls. It boils down to whichever general did the better job of commanding their armies into advantageous positions, aided by relevant traits and skills. Basically, the game runs on a 1 sided die in war. It's all about stacking up the bonuses.

Internal Affairs:
You don't need to worry about placing houses, ordering people to plant crops, or otherwise interfere with the lowly peasantry. They can take care of themselves.
You do, however, need to worry about keeping you people happy.
Just about anything you do will irritate your populous, such as drafting soldiers, raising taxes, watching them get cut down by enemies, etc.
Your social policies will, at the start, resemble the typical feudal-age vassalage system that is considered typical of a fantasy setting.

You can change this, and I won't go over all the details of it, because that's why too much work for something that most people will likely ignore.

If you want to begin some massive construction project or whatever along those lines, just ask me for specifics and I'll indulge you as much as I can on details.

Foreign Affairs:

Foreign affairs involves dealing with the low-lifers that refuse to kiss your feet already.
Also know as other players.

In order to talk to players, you have to send runners.
In order to find out what other players are up to, you have to send spies.
Basically, you're going to be dealing with a large web of spies, emissaries, dignitaries, and other wretched individuals who will like get intercepted by other players spies, counter-spies, and wretched individuals before being thrown into dungeons.

The possibilities are nearly endless.
Intercept an enemy's message to declare peace, and replace the letter with one that insults the recipient's mother? You need only give the order.
Intentionally give a captured enemy spy mis-information and release them, knowing the enemy trusts them? You devious person, you.
Again, the possibilities are endless, and Sun Tzu himself devoted an entire chapter of the Art of War to discussing spies.

Economy:

Ah, money!

A lot of things require a fat lot of gold. You obtain gold through taxing the pants of your intrepid serfs.
You typically gain 1 gold per season for every 10 people that is accounted for in your kingdom.
Gold is used for equipping armies (to turn peasant soldiers into military ones), acquiring provisions for your army, building fortifications, paying your spies, you name it.

If you're strapped for cash, you can always raise the tax rate, or perhaps loot it from some poor sod.

I edited my action, adding certain things.

When we talk to our advisors, we get answers on the following season? (start of the next turn?)
No, I'll try to have them answer you within the same season.
They are in the same room as you, after all. I think ignoring someone's question for 3 months is reason for beheading in most territories.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:07:47 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:45 pm »

... I REALLY should go buy that book now... I was recommended it in my Warriorship and Honor class, and I learned how epic the Scandinavian armies (where almost everything I read or find out about is based on in some way) were, but lacked in some aspects. I also had the chance to read The Book of Five Rings but sadly, I didn't. Its pretty much the Japenese version of Sun Tzu's Art of War, and its apparently mandatory in some classes in Japan as it adds real life stuff too. And the Rings I had to study up on for that? Earth and Water... The two that would've helped me immensely if I read the damn thing...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »

I read the Art of War while on a plane to LA, once. Amazing stuff.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:11 pm »

By Sun Tzu? Love that transcribed work too!
Mastahcheese
:
> Are we technologically limited here? As in, are we sticking to the medieval designs of weaponry, or are we able to (given the freeform nature of this game), try to expedite new resources and formulate "advanced" weaponry from ideas and such?
>

The possibilities are nearly endless.
Intercept an enemy's message to declare peace, and replace the letter with one that insults the recipient's mother? You need only give the order.
Intentionally give a captured enemy spy mis-information and release them, knowing the enemy trusts them? You devious person, you.
Again, the possibilities are endless, and Sun Tzu himself devoted an entire chapter of the Art of War to discussing spies.
--On this note, how is interception in action-form formatted/worded?
ie: "Player x is suspicious of z and y being buddybuddies NEAR HIS LAWN, so he wants to intercept runners from either nation."
Will X do it in this kind of way? Send couriers to {y's country} with the goal of intercepting runners
Or is it done this way? Send interceptors between {y and z's country}
As in, do we need to state the exact route of the runner or at least, the general area where we think the runner is coming from?
As in, is it a {Targeted} action, or is it a 'watch the road'-like action?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:49:10 pm by Tiruin »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2015, 10:46:25 pm »

By Sun Tzu? Love that transcribed work too!
Mastahcheese
? Are we technologically limited here?
I'm pretty sure he said so early on, but I don't know if he meant rediculous techs or what
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33