Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC) (5/5)  (Read 14418 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC) (5/5)
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2015, 10:49:32 am »

Hmmm. Tawa, my current fluff idea involves the character actually having a reason to fight Sai['?]sur specifically (On a related note, I really hope the party doesn't decide to switch sides >.<). One part of this would be coming from a small tribe (led by a dragon, obviously; probably one of the more mercenary Bronze's, likely one that's been selling its services to various local bidders) that's been in conflict with Sai['?]sur for some time; the more personal aspect of it would be having died and been Raise Dead'd in a Sai['?]sur raid as a tiny little brat. Now, Raise Dead is not without its side-effects, both mechanical and otherwise; mechanically speaking, -1HD. At the age I was thinking, probably RHD. I can get 2RHD fairly easily, so would stripping one of them from the Raise and (later in backstory) trading the other for a Class Level (as is standard practice for creatures possessing 1RHD) work?
Edit: If you're wondering, the RHD I'd be losing would be Dragon RHD (as best I can tell based on the way my LA spent works, anyway), so d12sized, full BAB, all good saves, 6+Int mod skill points. Not exactly terrible burdens to have, but I'd still prefer DFA levels for flavour.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:57:51 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »

-snip-
Also Nerjin, Lucus has come up with a better knight class than the one found in the PHB II. (Linky here, with powers). Though, subject to Tawa's approval(I estimate it's about a high 3-low 2 class)
There will be no Pathfinder in my D&D 3.5 game.

The fluff is OK, by the way; I just made a portion of a continent for my map and said it was north of another campaign setting.
Hmmm. Tawa, my current fluff idea involves the character actually having a reason to fight Sai['?]sur specifically (On a related note, I really hope the party doesn't decide to switch sides >.<). One part of this would be coming from a small tribe (led by a dragon, obviously; probably one of the more mercenary Bronze's, likely one that's been selling its services to various local bidders) that's been in conflict with Sai['?]sur for some time; the more personal aspect of it would be having died and been Raise Dead'd in a Sai['?]sur raid as a tiny little brat. Now, Raise Dead is not without its side-effects, both mechanical and otherwise; mechanically speaking, -1HD. At the age I was thinking, probably RHD. I can get 2RHD fairly easily, so would stripping one of them from the Raise and (later in backstory) trading the other for a Class Level (as is standard practice for creatures possessing 1RHD) work?
Edit: If you're wondering, the RHD I'd be losing would be Dragon RHD (as best I can tell based on the way my LA spent works, anyway), so d12sized, full BAB, all good saves, 6+Int mod skill points. Not exactly terrible burdens to have, but I'd still prefer DFA levels for flavour.
Ah, crap, I left in one of the apostrophes in the name. My bad.

Anyway, I guess it's OK to drop the RHD.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »

A Battle Sorcerer Fluff is going to be the next step in the process
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 01:24:56 pm »

Don't you only start with 9,000 gold? Your weapon (+1 Bastard Sword of Shock) would have 8,000 of that and the Ring of Sustenance is 2,500.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 01:25:50 pm »

Went ahead and added a couple traits(quick to make up for not having Fast Movement and Saddleborn for flavor). Still thinking on adding a flaw for Improved bull rush so that next level I can take that second level of fighter and grab Leap Attack AND Shock Trooper. However, not sure what flaw to take, if any...

Edit@ Kessire:that's also not counting the mithril shirt or the Gauntlets of ogre power. Remember that in order to have a special ability like shock, you need a weapon that's already at least +1, and the cost of the ability is in ADDITION to that, meaning a shock weapon is equivilant to a +2 weapon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:28:09 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »

Ah, that makes plenty of sense. I'll change that then.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

Went ahead and added a couple traits(quick to make up for not having Fast Movement and Saddleborn for flavor). Still thinking on adding a flaw for Improved bull rush so that next level I can take that second level of fighter and grab Leap Attack AND Shock Trooper. However, not sure what flaw to take, if any...

Edit@ Kessire:that's also not counting the mithril shirt or the Gauntlets of ogre power. Remember that in order to have a special ability like shock, you need a weapon that's already at least +1, and the cost of the ability is in ADDITION to that, meaning a shock weapon is equivilant to a +2 weapon.
Yeah, a 2-level Fighter dip is super-good for a Barb charger going into Frenzied Berserker. Just keep in mind that if you are going to go Frenzied Berserker, pump your Will save unless you want to eventually get killed by the party when you snap and paste someone. A good combo for that is Iron Will (especially with the houserule for it) into Cumbrous Will (Savage Species 31), which can be activated before a Will save for a +6 bonus, at the cost of being Shaken until the end of the encounter. It's practically designed to help FBs cool off after fights.

e: If you want a mental image of what Norward will look like on the battlefield, imagine this, except bringing the axe down from 20-30 feet away.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:06:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2015, 04:18:19 am »

Ok, I think this is the last question I need an answer to for build to be complete, barring "is this thing from this source allowed" querries that will be presented in an orderly list when settled. PHB2 has the Dragon Shaman with its Draconic auras, and Dragon Magic has a list of Draconic aura's and a feat that grants access (and another that grants multiple at once). However, while the feat says "When you select this feat, choose a Draconic aura (see page 86)", it doesn't specify whether only the Draconic aura's present in Dragon Magic are valid targets for this, or whether the previously published ones can be selected as well; given they mention the Dragon Shaman can take the new Draconic aura's as one of their class selections it's certainly suggestive that they all count as Draconic aura's, but RAW is, as so often, not entirely clear. DM ruling on that?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:46 am »

Given how it is written on page 86, I'D say yes, but that's up to Tawa
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:58 am »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2015, 09:49:06 pm »

* Tawarochir cracks his knuckles.

You guys ready?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 10:08:53 pm »

No.

Yes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2015, 11:36:03 pm »

Really?

The sooner it gets going, the lower the chance of it dying before we take a single action.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »

Ha! Please Dice. You think I believe your lies? Tawa would never let me, and others, spend hours on characters that they pour interesting traits into. Study High Level play in order to not be over-whelmed, get super psyched for the game only to CANCEL it. Ha! The very NOTION that Tawa would allow me, and others, to wait weeks for a game to start is simply laughable. I mean... LITERAL hours go into creating my characters. He'd NEVER do that.

But I am actually ready. I've been ready.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10