Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549180 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19965 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:51 pm »

And yet it's absurdly (infinitely?) more than what British politicians pay for TV ads though, since they basically don't get ads.  Just those brief bits of airtime which I'm not sure they even pay for.
TV licensing cuts out a lot of ads, but Americans laugh at us for having TV licenses ;-;
And what am I supposed to do when I both don't have commercials and can't pause my show?

You also aren't off the hook even if TV licenses aren't just part of Majestic 12's conspiracy, there's still two tap sinks and winter/summer licenses for you to explain.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19966 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:02 pm »

And what am I supposed to do when I both don't have commercials and can't pause my show?

You also aren't off the hook even if TV licenses aren't just part of Majestic 12's conspiracy, there's still two tap sinks and winter/summer licenses for you to explain.
I dunno, but one of your guys politicians should do something like the TV license, just call it a media tax or something inane like that so you can have your own super American Broadcasting Corporation

I looked up on googlefu why you guys didn't already have a BBC equivalent and it gave me this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
roasted again ;-;

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: June 21, 2016, 08:29:09 pm »

Yeah the USA has a definite libertarian bias (much as "life has a liberal bias" :P)
We generally trust our state and local governments over the feds.  Obviously that's not 100%, but there's a strong cultural tendency in that direction.

I never thought about that as a reason for NPR being untrusted, though.  I suppose it makes some sense.
Even as a liberal I feel like NPR swings left on most issues, but maybe that's because I live in the South.  Of *America*, which is already pretty far right on average.

Local NPR stations usually have BBC timeblocks btw, at least around here.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: June 21, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »

NPR and PBS essentially fill the role of the BBC anyway, and even that gets more populist conservatives #Triggered for liberal indoctrination signal and wasting tax dollars on something other than the military, respectively.

And aside from that, a lot of the time our BBC is...the BBC.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19969 on: June 21, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »

In order to distract from BBC infiltration of American minds, have the BBC D/C shilling American minds

I guess it's only a matter of time before someone here brings up the reasons why we shouldn't trust the government or something. Though there is that weird bit where we trust the government more than we trust politicians, except politicians compose the government. A bouquet of wilted flowers still smells sweet, I guess.
Could be one of those things where you respect the mechanisms even if the people running them you despise, like how a lot of Greeks liked the European Union but hated the people running it. I believe the euphemism is "I respect the institution but have issues with the administration."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: June 21, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »

I have almost religious faith in bureaucracy.  Not politicians.  Politicians are fake showy people.  I've worked in offices, and it can suck to be a cog, but they get things done.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:34 pm »

I guess it's only a matter of time before someone here brings up the reasons why we shouldn't trust the government or something. Though there is that weird bit where we trust the government more than we trust politicians, except politicians compose the government. A bouquet of wilted flowers still smells sweet, I guess.
Eeehhh... I think much of my trust for governmental institutions comes more from the employees than the politicians, really. The ones that aren't elected officials. So far as personal interactions go, they've always been significantly more likely to be there at least in part for some ideological reason that doesn't basically boil down to fucking one demographic or another over, nor to be there primarily for the graft/networking opportunities. And a lot of the ones that don't start that way have tended to end up pretty sympathetic and/or invested in whatever they're involved with, if they have even the least iota of ability to empathize with their fellow human being.

Ground level government work has been surprisingly effective at producing relatively decent people legitimately trying to help with whatever they're doing, basically. Not perfect or anything, by any means, but better than most organizations I've personally interacted with.

Haven't bothered to really check numbers and whatnot to see if it's an attitude that's particularly justified, but so far as your kinda' day-to-day evaluation of things go, that's around the point I'm at, at this point in my life. I trust the government more than I don't 'cause most of what actually makes it up (state/federal workers) have been pretty alright on the net of things.

... I imagine some portion of that observed behavior is due to gov't work just not paying particularly well, comparatively, and usually making a good-ish try to take care of their workers. You get folks more inclined to be there for reasons that basically come down to being a relatively decent person, and leaning towards less concerned about exploiting things.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:10:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: June 21, 2016, 09:19:24 pm »

I mean, American distrust of its government has been around forever.

Not remotely true.  http://www.people-press.org/2015/11/23/1-trust-in-government-1958-2015/

It's also something that old people like to talk about and people mention in biographys from back before Vietnam a lot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:21:18 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19973 on: June 21, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »

I saw someone arguing that the Vietnam war was a good idea a while back, and was surprised that people like that existed
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »

There have been worse ideas.  If Nixon hadn't spoiled the '68 accord...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:45 pm »

Just the whole War on Terror... is pretty much the big reason why you cannot trust the United States Government.

Actually... I am not being accurate... POST-Vietnam War was when you should have stopped trusting the US government because they considered the failing of the war to be on the US citizens (and not that it was an unjust war that was causing the deaths of untold millions and war coverage shattered people's imagined idea of how war was fought) and should have IMMEDIATELY clued people in to how War was going to be fought from now on.

It is a LONG and boring subjects.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19976 on: June 21, 2016, 10:58:46 pm »

War on Terror is pretty ridiculous, honestly. It's almost as though the US has yet to work out that bombing terrorists is how they breed. Also, your air strikes keep hitting hospitals and civilians. These might be doing more harm than good, ya think?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: June 21, 2016, 11:31:53 pm »

because they considered the failing of the war to be on the US citizens

Damn "them", "they" are the worst.  I wish specific people would take action against "them".
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: June 21, 2016, 11:36:15 pm »

because they considered the failing of the war to be on the US citizens

Damn "them", "they" are the worst.  I wish specific people would take action against "them".

The current president at the time George Bush who actually coined the term for it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: June 21, 2016, 11:37:06 pm »

In order to distract from BBC infiltration of American minds, have the BBC D/C shilling American minds

Could be one of those things where you respect the mechanisms even if the people running them you despise, like how a lot of Greeks liked the European Union but hated the people running it. I believe the euphemism is "I respect the institution but have issues with the administration."
I respect the mechanisms that make weapons work, but not the people who have access to them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1342