Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545467 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18750 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:10 pm »

isn't reverse racism when you're inclusive of everyone
You'd think so, but according to a disconcertingly large number of people, being inclusive of everyone requires white people to be excluded.
It's called a persecution complex. It's what you get when you've assumed you're the center of the fucking world, and then when people point out that you're not you assume that they just hate you specifically instead of assuming they're just trying to exist in a system that has been rigged against them for centuries. \(O_o)/

(And yes, some of them are pretty fucking angry because the system has been rigged against them for centuries. Man, it's almost like that kind of thing could make someone, I don't know, upset?)

I'd think ideally to be "inclusive of everyone" race should just be dropped and people should be judged based on their qualifications. I'm using the fields of employment or college acceptance as an example of a system that's inclusive or un-inclusive of groups, since that's the example that comes to my mind the fastest.

So the idea is that a group was unfairly treated in the past? So to make up for that, in current times, you treat them better than other groups because of their unfair treatment in the past, which was due to a certain quality of that group. Say, blue people were treated badly because they were blue, so let's give them preference and special treatment compared to non-blue people now because blue people were treated badly in the past due to blue-ness. That doesn't seem any different than treating other groups unfairly in comparison to the treatment blue group now gets.

You're treating one group better than other groups. That's an unfair system. Even if it's being done because the system was unfair for that group in the past, now the system is unfair for ANOTHER group who doesn't have the same treatment that the first group now gets. So the system has shifted its "unfairness" from one group to other groups without really removing the issue of an unfair system. The response "life is unfair" doesn't really apply here since the unfairness is not the result of the whims of physics and nature but is being done deliberately by intelligent minds. So, discrimination or bias. (Not suggesting anyone would respond with "life is unfair" just addressing a point that came to my mind)

(Note that I'm using "you" in the metaphorical sense and not addressing anyone specifically)

"The desire to exclude others for your own physical and emotional satisfaction is inherent to humanity."
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that people are going to find reasons to be inclusive or noninclusive of other people no matter what. Trying to ensure racism (or sexism or whatever new terms there are for some kind of discriminatory bias) doesn't happen through acts like AA or quotas only aggravates the issue and encourages division by giving preferential treatment to some groups while leaving others out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18751 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:51 pm »

Society would be better if white people didn't exist

They don't, generally, but individual employers certainly can be prejudiced in... any direction, really. Frumple seems to be buying into the rhetoric that all employers are racist against backs because ??? and as such it's much harder to get a job without being favoured specifically for your race.
Cos it is

Don't worry, the best solution is more shitposting.
This guy gets it

Who are white people?
People with white skin, they're known for oppressing minorities and getting money/jobs/education solely because they're white
That's not true. Arabs who are whiter than Spaniards are not white, but the Spaniards are white. Likewise Slavs are not white, though they have white skin.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:40:44 pm by Loud Whispers »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: June 02, 2016, 09:39:53 pm »

oi m8 that's racist gotta be diverse and celebrate everyone equally

Society would be better if people didn't exist
Fixed.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18753 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:04 pm »

Orange Wizard, the problem is that such a silver bullet is quite expensive and time-consuming to set up. Many small businesses cannot. So, other measures must be taken that have lower costs.
Maybe we could set up some kind of quota system, so business have to hire a minimum number of Germans so the Jews don't steal all our jobs

Society would be better if race didn't exist
FTFY
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: June 02, 2016, 09:41:16 pm »

Go back to /d/, I'm very busy trying to provoke the thread to collapse from the sidelines and you're just giving the game away like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18755 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:23 pm »

Society would be better if race didn't exist
FTFY
This is literally the #alllivesmatter of #blm

That makes you literally Hitler

oi m8 that's racist gotta be diverse and celebrate everyone equally
But if I celebrate everyone equally that would be oppressive to marginalized groups who need more celebration than privileged groups, i.e. white people

Go back to /d/, I'm very busy trying to provoke the thread to collapse from the sidelines and you're just giving the game away like that.
This quiet offends Slaanesh

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: June 02, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »

So like, I tossed in a bunch of shit I believed when I had a persecution complex. The Christian bits. And you seemed to think it was a serious argument. Even though I literally tagged it as asinine arguments at the very bottom of the post, I guess context isn't much of a help. Anyway, not really the point. So, I was very much that thin skinned Christian for the first few years of my existence on the internet, and I got really salty whenever atheists got up in religious topics. MetalSlimeHunt and I had words. I mean, that hasn't changed too much, but that's beside the point.

Anyway. I used to think that when anyone was talking about Christianity, they were talking about me. Because I was a thin skinned Christian. And I used to think whenever anyone talking about white people, they were talking about me. Because I was a thin skinned white person. And I used to think that whenever anyone was talking about men they were talking about me. Because I was a pretty thin skinned man. And I'm actually still pretty thin skinned! That doesn't actually change no matter how much you think it does. And I actually still have the persecution complex, that was drilled into me pretty hard. But the thing is, Christians can be pretty terrible, white people can be pretty terrible, and men can be pretty terrible. Because we're human. But apparently, also, none of us can take any goddamn comment about how we can be pretty terrible?

What is up with that.

Anyway, my family still has a claim in for war reparations from the American Civil War, and filing them against Britain too would take away our only ally in this fight (that's never going to go anywhere).
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: June 02, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »

So the idea is that a group was unfairly treated in the past? So to make up for that, in current times, you treat them better than other groups because of their unfair treatment in the past, which was due to a certain quality of that group.

This is a false premise.  If you start from a false premise, you get a false answer.

The idea behind affirmative action is that because of past problems, current choices are suboptimal.  Male, rich, white, asian, non-immigrant, non-disabled and christian candidates are favored above their merits.  Not in the past but in the present.

Suppose that you are throwing darts at a target.  Your throws aren't precise so sometimes you miss high, sometimes low, sometimes left, sometimes right.  But you are missing to the left more often then anything else.  And you are throwing enough darts that you can say that statistically speaking you are missing the target by a foot to the left on average.  How do you improve your aim?  By aiming a foot to the right of the target...

Affirmative action is realizing that we have favoritism for male, rich, white, asian, non-immigrant, non-disabled and christian candidates.  So the way to improve our decision making is to balance that out by aiming in the other direction.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18758 on: June 02, 2016, 09:58:23 pm »

So like, I tossed in a bunch of shit I believed when I had a persecution complex. The Christian bits. And you seemed to think it was a serious argument. Even though I literally tagged it as asinine arguments at the very bottom of the post, I guess context isn't much of a help. Anyway, not really the point. So, I was very much that thin skinned Christian for the first few years of my existence on the internet, and I got really salty whenever atheists got up in religious topics. MetalSlimeHunt and I had words. I mean, that hasn't changed too much, but that's beside the point.
Anyway. I used to think that when anyone was talking about Christianity, they were talking about me. Because I was a thin skinned Christian. And I used to think whenever anyone talking about white people, they were talking about me. Because I was a thin skinned white person. And I used to think that whenever anyone was talking about men they were talking about me. Because I was a pretty thin skinned man. And I'm actually still pretty thin skinned! That doesn't actually change no matter how much you think it does. And I actually still have the persecution complex, that was drilled into me pretty hard. But the thing is, Christians can be pretty terrible, white people can be pretty terrible, and men can be pretty terrible. Because we're human. But apparently, also, none of us can take any goddamn comment about how we can be pretty terrible?

What is up with that.
Tbh there's a lot of difference between talking about Christianity and Christians, just as there is between fair skin and white people

Also we're talking biological traits vs beliefs, but none of that matters because whites are terrible

Anyway, my family still has a claim in for war reparations from the American Civil War, and filing them against Britain too would take away our only ally in this fight (that's never going to go anywhere).
tbh fam

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18759 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:52 pm »

Trump continues to attack the ethnicity of the judge in the Trump University case

Interesting tactic, constantly insult the judge before your trial. What a genius. Definite presidential material.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18760 on: June 02, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »

So like, I tossed in a bunch of shit I believed when I had a persecution complex. The Christian bits. And you seemed to think it was a serious argument.
No, I was doubling down on the irony there.

Christians can be pretty terrible, white people can be pretty terrible, and men can be pretty terrible. Because we're human. But apparently, also, none of us can take any goddamn comment about how we can be pretty terrible?
I said before I'm complaining about people who talk as though people are terrible because they're Christian, white, or male. Which is blatant prejudice. And now you're defending it because "mumble mumble historic oppression mumble mumble". Fuck that shit. You're not guilty because of your demographic.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: June 02, 2016, 10:05:11 pm »

But the thing is, Christians can be pretty terrible, white people can be pretty terrible, and men can be pretty terrible. Because we're human. But apparently, also, none of us can take any goddamn comment about how we can be pretty terrible?

What is up with that.
Not all Christians are terrible, not all white people are terrible, not all men are terrible. Individuals who "can't take a comment" I guess are people who point out that they themselves don't think they're terrible?

What's wrong with people pointing out "hey I don't think this generalization applies to me"? Isn't it this response that prompts people to call out racist or sexist or [insert thing here] stereotypes?

This is a false premise.  If you start from a false premise, you get a false answer.

The idea behind affirmative action is that because of past problems, current choices are suboptimal.  Male, rich, white, asian, non-immigrant, non-disabled and christian candidates are favored above their merits.  Not in the past but in the present.

Suppose that you are throwing darts at a target.  Your throws aren't precise so sometimes you miss high, sometimes low, sometimes left, sometimes right.  But you are missing to the left more often then anything else.  And you are throwing enough darts that you can say that statistically speaking you are missing the target by a foot to the left on average.  How do you improve your aim?  By aiming a foot to the right of the target...

Affirmative action is realizing that we have favoritism for male, rich, white, asian, non-immigrant, non-disabled and christian candidates.  So the way to improve our decision making is to balance that out by aiming in the other direction.
Well that makes sense I guess. I don't think it's really idealistically sound though. Still seems like trying to make 2 wrongs into a right by unfairly treating some groups to make up for past unfair treatment of other groups.

The dart analogy is good and makes sense, but real life and society isn't just a game of darts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18762 on: June 02, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »

I said before I'm complaining about people who talk as though people are terrible because they're Christian, white, or male. Which is blatant prejudice. And now you're defending it because "mumble mumble historic oppression mumble mumble". Fuck that shit. You're not guilty because of your demographic.
Prejudice = racism - power
You're not guilty, you're just privileged of belonging to a demographic that means you benefit from a system built by your demographic to benefit your demographic over those who are not of it

Well that makes sense I guess. I don't think it's really idealistically sound though. Still seems like trying to make 2 wrongs into a right by unfairly treating some groups to make up for past unfair treatment of other groups.

The dart analogy is good and makes sense, but real life and society isn't just a game of darts.
Good thing affirmative action isn't darts - that was just an analogy

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18763 on: June 02, 2016, 10:11:22 pm »

Prejudice = racism - power
You're not guilty, you're just privileged of belonging to a demographic that means you benefit from a system built by your demographic to benefit your demographic over those who are not of it
I'd better contact The System's helpdesk to see if they can get me a job. Can't have poor white people going around undermining the narrative.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: June 02, 2016, 10:11:42 pm »

tbh fam
They kicked us out.  :'( We lost PRIME LOWER CLASS REAL ESTATE IN NEW YORK, and all for wanting to stay loyal to the King instead of a bunch of upstart whippersnappers. Banished to unsettled but decently farmable land in the frozen north (provided for free because we were white instead of getting settled in a segregated community in Nova Scotia).

I'm still not entirely sure who is doing that besides like maybe a hundred to a thousand people who are a distinct minority of the voices I ever hear. Like, seriously, the people you are talking about are people I almost never actually encounter. The people I FAR MORE OFTEN encounter are people who are only joking about it. Who are then attacked on the internet for making jokes about it. Because every single time anyone makes a joke about white people I see a hundred randos jump down their throat about it, and use them as examples to point at as though they were being serious.

Like, damn, where are all the anti-censorship people for them?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1342