Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545744 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18735 on: June 02, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »

isn't reverse racism when you're inclusive of everyone
You'd think so, but according to a disconcertingly large number of people, being inclusive of everyone requires white people to be excluded.
It's called a persecution complex. It's what you get when you've assumed you're the center of the fucking world, and then when people point out that you're not you assume that they just hate you specifically instead of assuming they're just trying to exist in a system that has been rigged against them for centuries. \(O_o)/

(And yes, some of them are pretty fucking angry because the system has been rigged against them for centuries. Man, it's almost like that kind of thing could make someone, I don't know, upset?)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18736 on: June 02, 2016, 09:03:05 pm »

-snip-
*coughcough* Projecting much?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18737 on: June 02, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »

-snip-
Hehehehe.

OH BOY HERE WE GO

It's called a persecution complex.
It's actually called original sin; I am guilty of genociding/enslaving/oppressing the Irish because I am white

It's what you get when you've assumed you're the center of the fucking world
When did I assume that?

and then when people point out that you're not you assume that they just hate you specifically
No they hate white people for enslaving the Irish, we've been over this

instead of assuming they're just trying to exist in a system that has been rigged against them for centuries. \(O_o)/
It's never been rigged against them

might have been rigged against their grandparents though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18738 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:03 pm »

The entire bloody point of AA and those (barely existent, often explicitly illegal) "quotas" are to get people accepted based on their qualifications. They're implemented because the jackass employers weren't before hand, passing over either equally good or outright better candidates because their skin color was "wrong".
...it honestly didn't occur to me that employers would pass on qualified enough people purely because of race. At least not now in the modern era. Is this what they call white privilege? Should I check my privilege before I wreck myself?

Realistically I would think groups would be more likely to pass on qualified people because of their behavior or attitude rather than strictly due to skin color. I don't think that could really be called racist. Behavior and attitudes are the result of sociological/cultural factors rather than any genetic racial factors, right?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18739 on: June 02, 2016, 09:13:12 pm »

According to some people not believing that white people are prosecuted means you have to be racist against white people.  It's called reverse-reverse racism.  ::)

Perhaps it's unfair to ridiculously distort their views like this.  However they ridiculously distort the views of other people so...

I don't think that could really be called racist.

There is a serious discussion to be had about the degree to which "impartial" metrics which just happen to favor some demographic groups over others can be called racism.  However it's not possible to have such a discussion when you have a reverse-reverse racist around pissing in the punchbowl.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:15:22 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18740 on: June 02, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »

"The desire to exclude others for your own physical and emotional satisfaction is inherent to humanity."

"Ha ha MSH you're such an evopsych idiot go back to redpill. Now, who should be allowed to have jobs due to racism..."

And here we are. I take tribute in the form of steam games and souls.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18741 on: June 02, 2016, 09:19:27 pm »

-snip-
Hehehehe.

OH BOY HERE WE GO

It's called a persecution complex.
It's actually called original sin; I am guilty of genociding/enslaving/oppressing the Irish because I am white

It's what you get when you've assumed you're the center of the fucking world
When did I assume that?

and then when people point out that you're not you assume that they just hate you specifically
No they hate white people for enslaving the Irish, we've been over this

instead of assuming they're just trying to exist in a system that has been rigged against them for centuries. \(O_o)/
It's never been rigged against them

might have been rigged against their grandparents though
Who are white people? I'm made up of a whole lot of irish, and I'm pretty fucking white. Also, I'm a Christian, and I am constantly subjected to godless people telling me who I can and can't hate, and it's literally oppressing me. And no one I know has ever started a holy war, religion doesn't actually cause violence, and being atheist doesn't make life any harder for anyone.

Wow, I guess it really is that easy to go off on completely asinine arguments.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18742 on: June 02, 2016, 09:20:49 pm »

I...I don't... HELP MY BRAIN IS MELTING
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18743 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:38 pm »

If you guys are going to argue, can you please at least be polite about it? Being a sarcastic shithead never gets your point across.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18744 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

While it's a pretty funny callback, MetalSlimeHunt, you gotta admit that there are a lot of reasons for people on the internet to spew hostility towards vaguely defined social groups.

See at some point in these conversations there is a tipping point.  People equate actual harm with not being validated.  Racism is about things like not getting homes or jobs.  But people turn it into a strawman by acting like racism is black people not being validated.  This lets them turn things around and bitch and moan about not being validated themselves.

It's an ingenious little bit of fallacious thinking.  It's subtle enough that you dont notice it.  As a result it can derail almost any conversation about race.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18746 on: June 02, 2016, 09:26:33 pm »

See at some point in these conversations there is a tipping point.  People equate actual harm with not being validated.  Racism is about things like not getting homes or jobs.  But people turn it into a strawman by acting like racism is black people not being validated.  This lets them turn things around and bitch and moan about not being validated themselves.

It's an ingenious little bit of fallacious thinking.  It's subtle enough that you dont notice it.  As a result it can derail almost any conversation about race.
I'm just so fucking TIRED of it though.  :'(

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18747 on: June 02, 2016, 09:28:44 pm »

IKR, I'm pretty sure some friendly fire is happening already.  Just going to sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Though I guess my WTF is that my dad's visiting day after tomorrow, and I've barely started cleaning.  Instead I'm fondly regarding internet arguments and Netflix (while getting some work done but nothing time-sensitive...)

Fakedit:  Haha that's a lot of replies
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18748 on: June 02, 2016, 09:30:02 pm »

but there's no silver bullet here

Didn't the study you are talking about find that the effects were very small in large companies with professional HR departments and standardized hiring procedures?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18749 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:48 pm »

OKAY GUYS I DID IT

...it honestly didn't occur to me that employers would pass on qualified enough people purely because of race. At least not now in the modern era. Is this what they call white privilege? Should I check my privilege before I wreck myself?
They don't, generally, but individual employers certainly can be prejudiced in... any direction, really. Frumple seems to be buying into the rhetoric that all employers are racist against backs because ??? and as such it's much harder to get a job without being favoured specifically for your race.

Don't worry, the best solution is more shitposting.

Who are white people?
People with white skin, they're known for oppressing minorities and getting money/jobs/education solely because they're white

I'm made up of a whole lot of irish
Oh shit man you can go claim reparations from the English for having a system rigged against you for centuries

I'm pretty fucking white
Oh damn I guess you can't be oppressed then, go pay reps to your local White Guilt centre

Also, I'm a Christian, and I am constantly subjected to godless people telling me who I can and can't hate, and it's literally oppressing me.
It's pretty fucking disgusting eh, damn heathens

And no one I know has ever started a holy war
I have Urban II on speed dial

religion doesn't actually cause violence
ISIS would like a word

so would Urban II, actually

and being atheist doesn't make life any harder for anyone.
Makes it harder for religious dudes like you apparently

If you guys are going to argue, can you please at least be polite about it? Being a sarcastic shithead never gets your point across.
Oh right

See my original point was that there are regressive social justice wackos who think white people and men are evil, etc. and they're gaining ground in universities and so on. You countered by saying "well akchully nobody hates you it's just that minorities are all oppressed and they're getting antsy", which is a completely asinine argument.

I'm just so fucking TIRED of it though.  :'(
Me too

Probably. That's one of the nice ways to cut down on the problem- with enough eyes looking at the thing, no one will discriminate along the same two lines. So you end up with something that, in the end, doesn't really discriminate all that much at all.
Sounds like a silver bullet to me, let's just do that
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 1342