Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547223 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17955 on: May 17, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »

Reminds me of the guy who drank Reactor Coolant on the floor of the Senate to prove that nuclear reactors on ships were safe.

Reactor coolant is just water??? wait... did this actually happen...????????
I think that reactor coolant is just water too.

Unless he drank water that had been used to cool a reactor? In which case, the dude has balls of steel, that will unfortunately be dropping off his body as he succumbs to radiation sickness.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #17956 on: May 17, 2016, 03:37:54 pm »

Grayson is certainly real: D-Florida, heh.
Rep. for the 9th district, specifically; he's also in the running for Marco Rubio's vacant senate seat.

I haven't been able to find the raw clip on C-SPAN, but here's Jimmy Dore's bit covering it. Also, more Grayson-y goodness on the transgender bathroom issue.

It's not a great point, it's weak tea trolling based around semantics.  And it distracts from the real issue which is that the rise in temperatures associated with CO2 and methane emissions create hardship.
And if he'd pointed that out, the Republican response would be something like, "Nuh-uh! Almost 1% of scientists say global warming is a myth! The remaining 99% are just pushing a liberal agenda!" There's no point in trying to debate someone who's that deep in the anti-science bubble.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: May 17, 2016, 03:41:18 pm »

Dore's was kinda' tasteless, in all honesty. I'm still looking for a transcript of whatever the hell that was, because it apparently exists and I'm becoming increasingly annoyed at being unable to find one for it. It's looking a fair bit like the comment being noted didn't even happen this year, though.

E: Though I am learning that almost all of the transcripts and whatnot related to congress on government websites are kept as .pdfs. Why.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:45:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17958 on: May 17, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »

And if he'd pointed that out, the Republican response would be something like, "Nuh-uh! Almost 1% of scientists say global warming is a myth! The remaining 99% are just pushing a liberal agenda!" There's no point in trying to debate someone who's that deep in the anti-science bubble.

Oh I didn't know that arguments became good because other people are stupid.  Interesting to know.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: May 17, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »

Suppose the republican had said "CO2 is great.  If Alan wants to limit CO2 emissions he should try putting a plant in a room without CO2 and see what happens next."

Would you have said "great point!  Really opened my mind!"  No, you would have said "god what an idiot, he is missing the point entirely."
Or "Republican congressman encourages opponent to commit suicide."  There's a lot of ragebait, even in progressive circles.  Imagine if *Trump* had said something like this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17960 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:56 pm »

... I am also learning that Rohrabacher is both bloody insane and talks a good goddamn hell of a lot. As in, I was going to post a transcript of one uninterrupted talk by the guy as an example, and it broke the forum's 40k character limit.

E: Okay, it's now really sinking in that that is apparently common for congress sessions. Folks, I think I've figured out one of the reasons they're having trouble getting things done. These people are apparently less concise than a drunken philosophy freshmen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:11:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17961 on: May 17, 2016, 04:34:07 pm »

Well, when your job is to get re-elected, and the safest way to get re-elected is to do nothing at all...

And then when they get nothing done, they can run their next campaign on "We'll fix it this time!"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17962 on: May 17, 2016, 04:43:11 pm »

When Congressmen are talking to Congress, they're frequently talking to cspan cameras and little else.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17963 on: May 17, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »

Bloody hell, I finally found the official video. Dana's bit starts around here. Goes for a while. Also Dore's bit apparently edited the sweet bloody fuck out of the source video. Grayson's statement did actually occur, though, and in response to Rohrbacher.

Still couldn't find a transcript, but there's the source video, at least.

... also, can I just say the subscription number for that committee is... kinda' depressing? There's apparently 309 people, world wide, nevermind within the US itself, that both use youtube and have that channel subscribed. I'd subscribe myself, if I had a youtube account or even the most remote of inclinations to, but it'll have to be content with a bookmark.

E: Also just noticed it took me two goddamn hours to find that. Freaking committees hiding their shit away from all the other congressy stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:12:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17964 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »

Alan Grayson may be my spirit animal.

That's stupid.

Suppose the republican had said "CO2 is great.  If Alan wants to limit CO2 emissions he should try putting a plant in a room without CO2 and see what happens next."

Would you have said "great point!  Really opened my mind!"  No, you would have said "god what an idiot, he is missing the point entirely."  So why is it a great point when Grayson did it?  It's not a great point, it's weak tea trolling based around semantics.  And it distracts from the real issue which is that the rise in temperatures associated with CO2 and methane emissions create hardship.  Distracting from that for schoolyard taunts isn't clever.
Theoretical rise associated with CO2 and methane emissions. Climate change politics should not be gussied up as science, and both sides are just as bad as the other. The absurd idea of a positive feedback system (as the CO2 control knob hypothesis proposes and climate modelers assume to be true) maintaining a livable environment over gigayears is painful, just saying. Don't listen to a politician about science.

Politicians don't build hover platforms, scientists do, well, engineers design them using principles fleshed out by scientists, and they are generally built by robots or little chinese kids with tiny little fingers that can work the little bitty screwdrivers and sautering irons.

So, listen to little chinese kids and robots about science, not politicians.
Reminds me of the guy who drank Reactor Coolant on the floor of the Senate to prove that nuclear reactors on ships were safe.

Reactor coolant is just water??? wait... did this actually happen...????????
I think that reactor coolant is just water too.

Unless he drank water that had been used to cool a reactor? In which case, the dude has balls of steel, that will unfortunately be dropping off his body as he succumbs to radiation sickness.
Reactor coolant is, assuming he didn't drink molten sodium (vote for the guy who drinks molten salts over the others, that guy can obviously withstand anything, and is probably a robot), then yes it is literally water, the radioactive parts of the cooling system are the control rods. The idea that you'd die from drinking reactor water is like a bastard cousin of homeopathy, functionally.

So, fuck homopaths, vote for our new molten salt drinking robot overlords, made out of 100% pure science by little chinese kids!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17965 on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:27 pm »

Maybe it's possible to subscribe anonymously?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-wall-street-dodd-frank-223286 Didn't Trump, at one point, warn of the recession that happened in 2007/2008? So, it doesn't make any sense to me, other than that it's probably a default part of the Republican platform because 'reverse EVERYTHING Obama did'. I wonder what he'd replace it with, because the wall street reforms are there for a reason.

Also, depending on whether the Sanders supporters behavior keeps up in later delegate conventions, we may see a 'contested' Democratic convention. So, both party conventions could end up full of drama rather than the sedate affairs that I've heard they have generally been.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17966 on: May 17, 2016, 05:16:40 pm »

Armok wept tears of molten rock that guy hurts my brain. I mean, exactly what I just said I like about Obama, the sane moderated appearance he projects, ties back to him pointing out that "a strong and confident China is a safe one, a scared and weakened China which feels the need to prove itself on the world stage is not going to be easier to deal with" it seems. I mean, if you want a projected appearance of insanity for the public, let me do it, and let me try to maintain a sane and reasonable approach when dealing with the rest of the world maybe?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17967 on: May 17, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »

... dude wants to get rid of Dodd-Frank? Well, if he gets elected and manages to do it, all I can say is I hope all of you like cooked books, because that thing was one of the best things to happen to US accounting practices in regards to integrity in a long damn time. Don't quite remember the details on that front, but I do quite remember the stuff it shuts down is some of the shit that led to junk like Enron's accounting practices, which was part of what let them do what they did.

Though I guess the details will come out when that economic policy plan does, assuming there's any actual details involved in it :V
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17968 on: May 17, 2016, 05:25:39 pm »

Armok wept tears of molten rock that guy hurts my brain. I mean, exactly what I just said I like about Obama, the sane moderated appearance he projects, ties back to him pointing out that "a strong and confident China is a safe one, a scared and weakened China which feels the need to prove itself on the world stage is not going to be easier to deal with" it seems. I mean, if you want a projected appearance of insanity for the public, let me do it, and let me try to maintain a sane and reasonable approach when dealing with the rest of the world maybe?

Eh, both Sanders and Trump have the same kind of message on China. Besides, why are you singling out the message on China? Although, are you talking about Trump or Sanders here?

... dude wants to get rid of Dodd-Frank? Well, if he gets elected and manages to do it, all I can say is I hope all of you like cooked books, because that thing was one of the best things to happen to US accounting practices in regards to integrity in a long damn time. Don't quite remember the details on that front, but I do quite remember the stuff it shuts down is some of the shit that led to junk like Enron's accounting practices, which was part of what let them do what they did.

Though I guess the details will come out when that economic policy plan does, assuming there's any actual details involved in it :V

Pretty sure that the dodd-frank thing was more in response to the causes behind the recession, that is, the banks and hedge funds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17969 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »

Yes, the coolant was just a glass of water. It's just another example of misleading portrayals of greater concepts that are basically true "nuclear reactors are safe" vs "climate change is an extinction level threat".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1342