Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550715 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16620 on: April 20, 2016, 07:00:58 am »

Why Trump is surrounded with such paranoia?  :'(
Like he is super nerohitlerigulamaostalin.
Sanders is leftist meme.
Casich is out of year 1850.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16621 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:26 am »

Why I think people make fun of trump with dark 'jokes'

1: Because it's funny. He's funny. He looks funny, talks funny, does funny things. All funny in a sad way, but still funny.
2: Because it's easy to imagine. Deep down we all know that all the other candidates represent the continued perpetuation of a static oligarchy that wants to slowly decay the rights and power of anyone not them but otherwise maintain the status quo. Which hasn't had something like a nuclear war in a really long time. Even though Trump is also probably that, it's easy to imagine because of all the hate and populism that he rides on that he'd represent real, and really destructive, change from that status quo.

Edit: Of course, he isn't that change for a lot of reasons, but it's easier to imagine him as that then any other candidate, and besides, that's what he wants to be imagined as, so, good for him for doing so well with that image.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:16:23 am by Criptfeind »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16622 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:07 am »

2: Because it's easy to imagine. Deep down we all know that all the other candidates represent the continued perpetuation of a static oligarchy that wants to slowly decay the rights and power of anyone not them but otherwise maintain the status quo.
Well, except Bernie, but if he wins I'll eat my hat.

Why Trump is surrounded with such paranoia?  :'(
Like he is super nerohitlerigulamaostalin.
It's funny that people compare him to Hitler when Trump's made the - actually quite impressive - achievement of being a nationalist who isn't racist.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16623 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:04 am »

To be fair, Trump is probably about as nationalistic as he is racist. Which seems to be an unknown amount because he'll say anything to swell the american hate boner to split the desk of the Republican party chosen.

I'd still count Bernie as that perpetuation, but then again like I said in my edit I also count Trump as such.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16624 on: April 20, 2016, 08:01:10 am »

To be fair, Trump is probably about as nationalistic as he is racist.
Not really? His whole shtick is that America is getting shafted with illegal immigration and foreign trade, so he wants to make US foreign policy even more US-interests-first than it already is. If that's not nationalism, I'm not sure what is.

I'd still count Bernie as that perpetuation, but then again like I said in my edit I also count Trump as such.
Hilariously, both of them have mentioned removing/restricting lobbying in politics (although Trump less so IIRC) but will probably never be able to get anywhere with it anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #16625 on: April 20, 2016, 08:23:42 am »

According to 538, Cruz was mathematically eliminated from winning the republican primary yesterday.  This made me remember that the rules had a provision for candidates staying in after they are mathematically eliminated.

Oh right, uh, anyone who doesn't drop out before the end counts as dropping out on the day that the nomination becomes a mathematical certainty (not just overwhelming probability).  Unpledged delegates dont count towards the totals for this.  Unfaithful pledged delegates are not considered a possibility.  Getting the right nominee counts as negative 31 days.

So, counting Kasich as dropping out on March 15th and Cruz dropping out yesterday the scores are:

MetalSlimeHunt 300
Redking 399
Wolock 536
Pretentious Killjoy (aka your truly) 536
smjjames 694
Strife 749

I did not give MSH and Redking credit for predicting Trump's nomination because there is still a chance that Trump will not be the nominee.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16626 on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:25 am »

2: Because it's easy to imagine. Deep down we all know that all the other candidates represent the continued perpetuation of a static oligarchy that wants to slowly decay the rights and power of anyone not them but otherwise maintain the status quo. Which hasn't had something like a nuclear war in a really long time. Even though Trump is also probably that, it's easy to imagine because of all the hate and populism that he rides on that he'd represent real, and really destructive, change from that status quo.
It's easy to imagine all kinds of things about the Trumpster, and that's precisely the point of the populist strategy: be as politically vacuous as possible and let the people project their deepest hopes and fears upon you – the field will automatically divide itself into idolizing supporters and demonizing opponents, thanks to group dynamics. If you have to promise something, make absurd promises or no promises at all – you'll never get taken to task for not doing the impossible, and your voters won't care about things you could have done but never cared to mention in your campaign speeches. The boring truth is that we simply don't know for sure that Trump will actually do anything at all as president. For all we know, he might disrupt the political system or start a world war, or just sit in the oval office jacking it to Celebrity Apprentice reruns. It's not like he has planned that far, we can be sure of that.

Having said that, we do know a few things about the remaining two presidential candidates (Bernie was out of the game from day one):

– Trump will not bring back American jobs (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not fix campaign financing (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not restrain Wall Street fuckery (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not end U. S. proxy wars in the Middle East (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not withdraw support from the genocidal Israeli government (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not take global warming seriously (and neither will– no wait, she might actually at least pretend to take it seriously; that's a plus).

In other words, Trump is only marginally worse than the front-runner of the presidential race, and painting him as the Antichrist is just a bit of fun.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16627 on: April 20, 2016, 08:36:20 am »

– Trump will not withdraw support from the genocidal Israeli government (and neither will Hillary).
You can accuse the Israeli government of quite a few things, including illegal occupation. But genocide? I'm sorry, but that just makes you look like an uninformed anti-semite.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16628 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:28 am »

To be fair, Trump is probably about as nationalistic as he is racist.
Not really? His whole shtick is that America is getting shafted with illegal immigration and foreign trade, so he wants to make US foreign policy even more US-interests-first than it already is. If that's not nationalism, I'm not sure what is.
No, no, Mr. "someone is doing the raping" is definitely spewing shit that's racist as goddamn. He might not be racist, but he's pounding that particular drum with a degree of enthusiasm.

It's not exactly surprising, mind. US nationalism is often tied up pretty hard with racism of some variety, and Trump's been trying to appeal to both sorts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16629 on: April 20, 2016, 08:44:55 am »

It's probably unwise to get into a flame war over Israel here.

But this Nietzsche quote seems appropriate to Israel, if you ask me: "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16630 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:21 am »

It's easy to imagine all kinds of things about the Trumpster, and that's precisely the point of the populist strategy:

You were off to a really strong start here.

– Trump will not fix campaign financing (and neither will Hillary).
– Trump will not restrain Wall Street fuckery (and neither will Hillary).

This is the problematic part.  This is as close most people get to being like Trump supporters.  You pass off the whole damn system as corrupt.  People like Barney Frank, Elizabeth Warren and Steve Eisman say that important reforms have taken place.  Clinton is talking about using executive orders to further reinforce those reforms.  Campaign finance is harder to predict but the replacement for Scalia could be big effing news when it comes to campaign finance. 
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16631 on: April 20, 2016, 08:52:37 am »

Israel is a very unpleasant political entity.

So are Hamas and the PLA(I think they still exist?)

There aren't really any pleasant political entities in the Middle East, it's all sectarian revolts, active war zones, religious militants, hereditary oligarchies and army-backed regimes.

Edit: oh, and the religious and political proxy wars.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16632 on: April 20, 2016, 08:52:53 am »

You can accuse the Israeli government of quite a few things, including illegal occupation. But genocide? I'm sorry, but that just makes you look like an uninformed anti-semite.
I admit it! I'm as anti-semitic as Bernie's Jewish outreach director.

Seriously, m8: anti-Israel =/= anti-semitic.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16633 on: April 20, 2016, 08:56:03 am »

ITT: Someone unironically uses the word "problematic."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16634 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:09 am »

Seriously, m8: anti-Israel =/= anti-semitic.

I believe the objection was to the word "genocide" not to expressing disapproval of Israel.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1342