Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546716 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15720 on: March 29, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »

Still, I'd be more than happy to start upholding the law to such a strict standard, provided that it was done universally. I imagine it'd certainly pay off regarding the criminal investigation into Hillary's e-mails.

Well, they should extend that to the last two Secretary of State's as well, since the last three have all used private emails.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/04/politics/hillary-clinton-email-classified-colin-powell-condoleezza-rice/

Sure, you can argue that Hillary's use of private email came after changes to the Department guidelines, but that's not a criminal matter. Departmental guidelines are just guidelines that can be changed any time, there's no legal basis there.

The criminal matter being discussed is whether Clinton's emails breached classified information guidelines, in a legal sense. But so did Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice. There's no evidence of any actual leak in any of these three cases.

In all the cases, however -- as well as Clinton's -- the information was not marked "classified" at the time the emails were sent, according to State Department investigators.
So, there's that. They're going through the pile of email, and if they find any that was actually classified at the time of it's sending, they might have a smoking gun.

But the whole thing is ridiculously politicized. Was she keeping too many secrets, or not keeping enough secrets? It seems that either way, they'd spin it against her. And when literally anything you do can be spun negatively, nothing has meaning.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:10:12 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15721 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:32 pm »

Still, I'd be more than happy to start upholding the law to such a strict standard, provided that it was done universally. I imagine it'd certainly pay off regarding the criminal investigation into Hillary's e-mails.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/04/politics/hillary-clinton-email-classified-colin-powell-condoleezza-rice/

Well, they should extend that to the last two Secretary of State's as well, since the last three have all used private emails.

Sure, you can argue that Hillary's use of private email came after changes to the Department guidelines, but that's not a criminal matter. Departmental guidelines are just guidelines that can be changed any time, there's no legal basis there.

The criminal matter being discussed is whether Clinton's emails breached classified information guidelines, in a legal sense. But so did Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice. There's no evidence of any actual leak in any of these three cases.

Not to mention that the whole thing has been politicized to hell and back, several times, so, even if she DID get charged and go to trial, they'd have a hell of a hard time finding jurors that would be neutral. Especially given that she's in the middle of a national election campaign.

Yes, I know 'a Grand Jury could indict a ham sandwich', but unless it were exactly balanced, both parties would cry 'POLITICAL SHENEINIGHANS!' depending on the verdict, and an exactly balanced jury could end up in a hung jury.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:07:23 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: March 29, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »

DARPA is hard at work on advanced lawyer delivery systems, able to be deployed from both stategic submarine platforms as well as Near Earth Orbit (NEO) satellites. There are additional platforms on the way that act as an additional force multiplier by transplanting an entire defamation-easy court system on the Australian model. This does, of course, maximize the effectiveness of all known lawyer systems.
Actually under current US law, judgements in places with less strict libel laws are held to US standards for being applied anyway.

In general, that's the case, (although it doesn't stop an occasionally profitable industry in Australia from abusing their non-protections of speech) hence the importance of lawyer insertions.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: March 29, 2016, 05:09:06 pm »

That does not seem like battery to me in the definition used by people who don't have extra time and funds lying around to sue people. I have worse experiences than that walking down the street.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: March 29, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Well, that's the legal definition.

The practical definition involves injury because injury is evidence you can present in court, and people who are injured are more likely to press charges. "Likelilhood of pressing charges" has nothing to do with whether something is legal or not.

And in this case, there were cameras. If someone deliberately shoves you going down the street, they've committed the misdemeanor of "simple battery" but you have little proof of that, and they can easily say "no, I didn't" or "she/he started it!"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:20:32 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: March 29, 2016, 05:25:34 pm »

Well, that's the legal definition.

The practical definition involves injury because injury is evidence you can present in court, and people who are injured are more likely to press charges. "Likelilhood of pressing charges" has nothing to do with whether something is legal or not.

And in this case, there were cameras. If someone deliberately shoves you going down the street, they've committed the misdemeanor of "simple battery" but you have little proof of that, and they can easily say "no, I didn't" or "she/he started it!"

Even if there ARE cameras, it doesn't guarantee that it's 100% clear what happened. Even in the security video (which has lots of dropped frames for some reason), it's not 100% clear.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: March 29, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »

Did you notice that the video you watched was in super slow motion, Covenant? (and anyone else who was swayed by it)
That'd do wonders to make being shoved/pulled/tossed look like just walking backwards.

It also shows only a small amount of time and uses a favorable angle so you can't see why she's moving, or what stops her.

You can get a clearer picture from an overhead view. I did some searching on youtube (just for 'michelle fields') until I found one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0T4UtHu09s

It only has individual frames instead of continuous video, but it's still clear what happened there. She's walking with Trump, then Lewandowski comes up and grabs her, pulls her back towards him, and then shoves her into the bearded person to the left* (which halts her momentum at that point).

*from the camera's perspective. Another video said that was Terris, and I don't know if that's true or not (I google image searched his name and got different faces none of which looked like the one in the video, but that could have been the very noticeable beard in the video and not in the google image search results; tends to hide face shapes somewhat).

P.S. I don't think those are dropped frames. That's just security camera being security camera. If it recorded continuous video it'd have to overwrite its older videos far more often (or buy bigger hard drives etc etc w/e), and what do you really get out of that?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: March 29, 2016, 06:29:58 pm »

that was ruthless

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »

... She was already walking right next to Trump, holding her phone or phablet or whatever up, presumably recording audio in hopes he would answer her question.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: March 29, 2016, 08:53:50 pm »

You could also make the case that they're taking a picture, from 00:12-00:14 anyway. She holds her phone (I think it's her phone) out like she's taking a picture using the front camera. They both even seem to be looking at it. Note also that her left hand is around behind (who I presume is) Lewandowski for a few frames before it's on his shoulder, then pulled back. Then he sort of guides her away so he can make way for the people (I think it's Trump himself) moving by behind them.

I don't even necessarily think that's what happened, it's just too potato quality to tell what's really happening.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: March 29, 2016, 09:46:37 pm »

it's just too potato quality to tell what's really happening.

Real loser footage there.  Next time you want to have security camera footage you should get it from Trump resorts.  They have the classiest footage, amazing quality.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: March 29, 2016, 09:59:59 pm »

heh maniac.

Anyway, as I said earlier, even from that video it's not entirely clear what happened there as there is so much going on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: March 29, 2016, 11:16:13 pm »

So apparently Trump won't support another Republican candidate if they get the nomination and neither Kasich nor Cruz will give a clear answer to that question. GOP breakup when?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »

Kasich being voted off the island when?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:52 pm »

Kasich being voted off the island when?
(;if ohio=true
;print "[Namespace] will win the election because you can't win America without Ohio")
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1342