Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546894 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15690 on: March 28, 2016, 11:50:11 pm »

He's pretty well-seated in California, I can tell you that much. I'm the only person I know who prefers Clinton, and have been for the past 4 years.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: March 29, 2016, 02:59:35 am »

They've gotten that kind of thing to work after short periods, on animals, AFAIK.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: March 29, 2016, 04:02:29 am »

Quote from: From anti-Cruz article
Consider what Cruz said in response to the news story:

“Let me be clear this National Enquirer story is garbage. It is complete and utter lies. It is a tabloid smear and it is a smear that has come from Donald Trump and his henchmen.”

Let’s look at what Cruz did not say. Cruz could have said, “I have never cheated on my wife.” Why didn’t he?

... well, I could fathom a guess that he was told not to verbalize anything that could potentially be used against him as a sound bite. The most stupid thing you can ever do is verbally repeat the claim against you on camera.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:34 am »

What's being waggishly referred to as the 'Cuban Mistress Crisis' is getting quite entertaining at this point. Amanda Carpenter would have been better off claiming those condoms were hotel mints, rather than jumping to easily disproven 'photoshop' claims.

Pierson's been handling it much better.

Who? Who?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: March 29, 2016, 10:52:39 am »

It won't. Worst case Trump will make a big show of 'Firing' the guy to show what a great leader he is and everyone will talk about he doesn't stand for that kind of nonsense. Or something like that.  ::)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:13 am »

They've gotten that kind of thing to work after short periods, on animals, AFAIK.
Nobody has successfully lowered an animal down to the cryonic range (which is the temperature you need to drop to to be totally stable for long periods of time) and brought them back successfully yet due to our technology not being sufficient enough to prevent all of the freezing damage we would need to withstand such low temperatures. On the other hand we have successfully dropped animals into the "hypothermic" (i.e. very cold, but not a solid block of ice yet; your cells are still functioning, they just have extremely reduced requirements to the point of being able to survive without blood flow for a few hours) range for a couple of hours and then brought them back at around a 90% ratio, most of them without any brain damage. That particular level of technology is at the point where one hospital in Pittburgh has already started a small number of human trials working to take people who are severely wounded or just died and potentially give doctors long enough to fix them up before they become irreparable.

4 year stints in suspended animation to dodge a president are still out of the reach of modern science though. :P (Though we're getting closer every day!)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: March 29, 2016, 10:57:02 am »

It's still going to be a massive shakeup no matter what.

I'm also seeing on the politico twitter sidebar about that his lawyer resigned as a former Florida prosceutor after biting a stripper on the breast, or something. Florida.... go figure....

It won't. Worst case Trump will make a big show of 'Firing' the guy to show what a great leader he is and everyone will talk about he doesn't stand for that kind of nonsense. Or something like that.  ::)

Yeah, he's going to minimize/pivot away from it as much as possible, but still a major thing no matter what.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:58:43 am by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: March 29, 2016, 11:07:42 am »

Very interesting poll out of Wisconsin.  Trump 31%, Kasich 29%, Cruz 27%.  The poll is by some pollster I dont think has done any polling before and has a weird swedish name.  The sample size was also HUGE, 7,100 respondents.  Getting that many responses in 3 days is pretty impressive.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: March 29, 2016, 11:19:57 am »

Very interesting poll out of Wisconsin.  Trump 31%, Kasich 29%, Cruz 27%.  The poll is by some pollster I dont think has done any polling before and has a weird swedish name.  The sample size was also HUGE, 7,100 respondents.  Getting that many responses in 3 days is pretty impressive.

Seems like the company behind it was trying some new methodology, even the small margin of error is pretty impressive.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: March 29, 2016, 11:44:23 am »

Well that's just a result of the massive sample size.  If we had ideal assumptions, standard deviation would just be determined by ((p*(1-p))^.5)/(n^.5).  I.E. for a yes-no question with about an even split the standard deviation is about .25/sqrt(sample size).  Of course this is with perfect assumptions so the real calculation is more complex but the important thing is that as the square root of the sample size increases, the standard deviation goes down.  Standard deviation is linearly related to margin of error, i.e. you multiply the standard deviation by 1.96 or whatever to get the margin of error.  So if you get your sample size up to 4000 answers per question when most people are settling for 1000, your standard deviation is half the size of everyone elses and that makes your margin of error half the size of everyone elses.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:46:40 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:16 am »

Link to poll? I'd be interested to know what their method was to get so many responses so quickly.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: March 29, 2016, 11:57:17 am »

http://politicalmachination.com/poll-wisconsin-2016-presidential-primary/

Seems to be a robo poll.  It's interesting that they could get so many people to answer.  Robopoll response rates are usually lucky to get close to 1%.  They might have called every single republican in Wisconsin to get this many responses.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14:32 pm »

...We selected the set of likely voters who have valid landlines (roughly 590,000) as the sampling frame from which to sample people to be called.
Huh; I was expecting it to be at least partly internet based. Doesn't say exactly how many they sampled, but it must've been nearly all of 'em to get their response size. Poll had some money behind it.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1342