Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549353 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15405 on: March 24, 2016, 05:15:14 pm »

So is no one going to talk about the pro-discrimination bill that just passed in NC yesterday? The one that removes several legal protections on employment (including race), bans unisex bathrooms, makes it illegal to use bathrooms that don't match up with your assigned-at-birth gender? The one that is modeled after official Republican policy, and will likely be put in across the country if the Rs win this election? The one that 9 other states are trying to follow suit on right at this very moment? Including a Kansas bill that puts a bounty on outing transgendered kids in school bathrooms (oh, that's going to be great)?

Tell me again how the Republicans and the Democrats are the same, please, as one of these parties starts building hate directly into legislation.

A bounty, wtf? Is that even legal in the first place? Never mind moral or ethical.

Also looks like the perfect setup for a massive witch-hunt with fingers pointing all over the place and outing someone as transgender-but-is-not-actually for cash.

Read up on the Salem witchhunts people! Only replace 'witch' with 'transgender'.

And yeah I saw the news about the thing in NC, the democrats there are incensed over it.

Auto insurance companies provide certainty in an uncertain world at a very low price.
... usually not a very low price. Maybe lower than health, but sometimes friggin' rent is lower than health. But yeah, auto's relatively useful considering how bloody dangerous vehicles are and the whole way it very directly involves other people much of the time.

And hadn't heard yet, will. Dunno how else to express it besides "sucks". Though it'll probably get knocked down in the scotus, but... ugh.

Divided SCOTUS, remember?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: March 24, 2016, 05:18:38 pm »

Smj, if they're hitting race, too, I don't think even the divided scotus will avoid kicking it in the face.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15407 on: March 24, 2016, 05:20:03 pm »

I wouldn't neccesarily bet on it though.

They could postpone it though, and already have for a case over an obscure bank loan thing http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2016/03/supreme-court-deadlock-bank-loans-221089
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:24:13 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15408 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »

Auto insurance companies provide* certainty** in an uncertain world at a very low*** price.
*Provide, as per state laws that say that drivers are required to have it even with a spotless driving record.
**Sometimes, if the law says they have to.
***For varying degrees of "very low," which does not take into account the ability to pay of the insured, depending on how local laws are written.

* If you dont have a spotless driving record then the risk you are protecting yourself from is greater so it's the same price just for a larger quantity of protection
** Insurance companies operate tight margins pretty much everywhere
*** Not sure what you mean
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15409 on: March 24, 2016, 05:22:05 pm »

So is no one going to talk about the pro-discrimination bill that just passed in NC yesterday? The one that removes several legal protections on employment (including race), bans unisex bathrooms, makes it illegal to use bathrooms that don't match up with your assigned-at-birth gender? The one that is modeled after official Republican policy, and will likely be put in across the country if the Rs win this election? The one that 9 other states are trying to follow suit on right at this very moment? Including a Kansas bill that puts a bounty on outing transgendered kids in school bathrooms (oh, that's going to be great)?

Tell me again how the Republicans and the Democrats are the same, please, as one of these parties starts building hate directly into legislation.
This is a good point.  The two parties may be similar on economic issues, but on legislated morality we have a painfully clear choice, forced by the republicans: "status quo plus acceptance" or "strip rights from the... unusual people"

It wouldn't be entirely wrong replace "unusual people" with "nonchristians".  Though a lot of Christians aren't so hateful and determined to follow a decaying creed of hate and exclusion...  But a significant voting bloc are.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15410 on: March 24, 2016, 05:23:45 pm »

From what I've read about it, we'd be needing a divided Brandenburg era supreme court for it not to be excised with fire.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15411 on: March 24, 2016, 05:23:55 pm »

Auto insurance companies provide* certainty** in an uncertain world at a very low*** price.
*Provide, as per state laws that say that drivers are required to have it even with a spotless driving record.
**Sometimes, if the law says they have to.
***For varying degrees of "very low," which does not take into account the ability to pay of the insured, depending on how local laws are written.

All true. Gets better for people living in Michigan, its trying to be the highest paying insurers Auto.

In a sense, the ENTIRE US health industry is a can of worms with Pandora's box attached to it. Its a simple shitstorm by existing.

(Edit.) Fuck!! Ninjas everywhere!!!
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15412 on: March 24, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »

Smj, if they're hitting race, too, I don't think even the divided scotus will avoid kicking it in the face.
Now that Scalia is dead and rotting, anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15413 on: March 24, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

Wow.....well at least Kansas makes me feel slightly better about living in North Carolina.

And yes, I just want to go around punching Republicans in the face for this. All the uproar is "some pervert tranny is gonna go into the ladies' room and molest your daughter, and WE CANT STOP HIM without this law". Because the women's room is apparently some kind of inviolate sanctuary where the rule of law doesn't apply normally.

I'm still wondering how the fuck they intend to enforce this. Penis Police? Body scanners?
I've been disgusted with our state legislature and our governor for a long while now. The most galling part is that our Governor is a greedy pro-business Republican, not a Bible thumper or social conservative. McCrory's just signing this as an election-year gimmick to bolster his support with the knuckledraggers.

The best part is that there's also language in there preventing any county or municipal governments from passing LGBT protections *and* a rider that apparently prevents them from raising the minimum wage. Our "limited government" Republicans are actually power-hungry tyrants that have been steadily eroding local control for years, because they know the major cities think they're batshit crazy and don't intend to cooperate.

I hope November sees every one of these backwoods, trailer-trash, Bible thumping, cockmongers sent back home. But I know it won't because gerrymandering.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15414 on: March 24, 2016, 05:59:04 pm »

The ban on unisex toilets really cements home that this has zero to do with protecting anyone, and it's all about trying to make life more difficult for transgender people.

What about disabled toilets? Where I come from those are normally a unisex toilet that only holds 1 person at a time, and is separate to the men's and women's toilets. For transgender people, such toilets could be a viable option. Are they going to mandate separate "his and hers" disabled toilets? Even then, such accessible toilets could be a way to circumvent these stupid laws.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:00:51 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15415 on: March 24, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »

The ban on unisex toilets really cements home that this has zero to do with protecting anyone, and it's all about trying to make life more difficult for transgender people.

What about disabled toilets? Where I come from those are normally a unisex toilet that only holds 1 person at a time, and is separate to the men's and women's toilets. For transgender people, such toilets could be a viable option. Are they going to mandate separate "his and hers" disabled toilets? Even then, such accessible toilets could be a way to circumvent these stupid laws.
cripples are just preverts too

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15416 on: March 24, 2016, 06:26:14 pm »

It should also be noted that the Dems in the NC Senate staged a walkout, so you know this is some shit.

It should also be noted that while this law is targeted towards trans people, the way it is worded also essentially permits any kind of discrimination unless the state legislature says otherwise.

I'm wondering how my university plans to react to all this. There are definitely already tensions due to the UNC Chancellor controversy, and App has both unisex bathrooms and a policy that students self-select the bathroom of their gender. Technically, as a university policy it can be considered not directly under the auspice of this law's authority, but on the other hand it's a state school.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: March 24, 2016, 06:38:23 pm »

Given the business backlash (Google, Apple, American Airlines, just to name a few) and the NBA has said it may pull the 2017 NBA All-Star Game from Charlotte, I'm wondering if this is gonna rescinded in a hurry. There's two kinds of Republicans in North Carolina, and still more than a few who care about that dolla dolla bill more than what you're packing in your pants.

Of course, the Jeebus freaks will complain that this is all part of "the LGBT lobby's bully tactics" but you know what? FUCK THEM. FUCK THEM WITH A SHARP STICK IN THE ASS. I know we just got done having a discussion about how we should meet our opponents halfway and have a discussion like rational human beings, but we've tried that in this state. It doesn't work, because at least one side has to be a rational human being to start with.

Maybe we can build a giant trailer park down toward the SC border, let them all move there, then cede it to Lesser Carolina. Or do a "prisoner exchange" or something where we trade our conservatives for their liberals. Then build a nice big wall.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15418 on: March 24, 2016, 06:45:54 pm »

I was just thinking we'd keep on with the original plan of the whole enlightened directorate state thing. The people can keep electing their mayors, who can be as publicly stupid as they want so long as they remain agile enough to dodge flying vampire squid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: March 24, 2016, 06:47:24 pm »

Quote from: NYT
The state bill, put together so quickly that many lawmakers had not seen it before it was introduced Wednesday morning
it creates a statewide antidiscrimination policy — one that does not mention gay and transgender people. The bill also prohibits local governments from raising minimum wage levels above the state level
Yeah, business boycotts are going to get this thing retracted post-haste. Looks like it was thrown together very quickly by a very few people and then rushed through by calling it a state-wide 'anti-discrimination' bill.

Worst case scenario, it'll get put on hold by the local Circuit Court and then appealed up to the Supremes, where it'll be struck down. Even with a potentially divided court, this is far too vague and badly implemented to stand up to scrutiny.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1342