Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546904 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15107 on: March 19, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »

Tragical-comical-historical-pastoral
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: March 19, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/19/defund-planned-parenthood-florida-bill-dentist-reproductive-care-alternatives
Oh man. Deja vu. Kasich and company tried the exact same thing late last year in Ohio, down to the 'list' including dentists and food banks. This should really not be a strategy that can be pulled off even once, let alone more than once.

Incidentally this is also why, if the election somehow came down to Kasich v. Clinton, I would still vote Clinton. It wouldn't even be a dilemma. Kasich is a nightmare who's mostly gotten a pass on the national stage so far because he's boring pretty quiet and is deliberately trying to sound more reasonable than the others - which isn't hard.

Posted this before, and it's still relevant: Coat hangers are coming back in style.

Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:01:51 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: March 19, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »

"Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

I express this often at work, and people get really confused or offended.  I'm like "how can you NOT laugh when shit is so fucked up?!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:40 pm »

It does come up rather more often than high-school me ever would've thought. Not bad for a term that probably makes native German speakers wince O_0
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: March 19, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/19/defund-planned-parenthood-florida-bill-dentist-reproductive-care-alternatives

I'unno, but I'll tell you right now the sound effect it makes is exactly that of a dentist drill being used as a speculum.

E: In other news, I am now distinctly regretting having that thought. Goddamnit hellswamp. I know why you do this (heat, drugs, poverty, inbreeding), but please stop.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:00:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: March 19, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »

Quote from: smirk
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Sigging.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: Shadowlord
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: March 19, 2016, 08:34:14 pm »

Sig better.  Needs linkings.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: March 19, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/19/trump-campaign-manager-lewandowski-arizona-rally

At some point, theres going to be undeniable and undoubtable evidence of Lewandowski doing something :P

You know, how long before a gun goes off in one of these rallies or protest/supporter conflicts? I know, I know, security and all that, but still....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:48:39 pm by smjjames »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: March 19, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »

Sig better.  Needs linkings.

Nah. Sig doesn't have character space for linkings.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: Shadowlord
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »

What? Mine did. :P

(Although for all I know I could be wasting all the character space on links and just not know I'm near the limit since I hit the 6-line limit first)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: March 19, 2016, 10:48:04 pm »

reasonably decent liberal places to live, and replacing their functioning governments

I must have missed that lesson in history class.

I mean I suppose you could stretch the definition of "reasonable" to include anything you want.  But the way I would describe it is "The US didn't mind stirring violent situations to make sure the psychopaths on our side came out on top."

Well, Guatemala 1954, Iran 1953, Chile 1973. None of those situations was even violent until the US decided to screw things up, and that's only a very short list off the top of my head.

I mean, for example, Guatemala was invaded and the elected government replaced with a military junta on purpose, because the Guatemalan president annoyed an American fruit company.

Washington, of course, publicly denied its support for paramilitarism, but the practice of political disappearances took a great leap forward in Guatemala in 1966 with the birth of a death squad created, and directly supervised, by U.S. security advisors.
http://www.salon.com/2007/12/14/unholy_trinity/

So, no, there was no war in Guatemala at all before the Americans came, the war then started and the US actually inflamed the creation of death squads by their new favorite junta, to suppress the - understandably - pissed off natives.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:54:23 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: March 19, 2016, 10:56:05 pm »

reasonably decent liberal places to live, and replacing their functioning governments

I must have missed that lesson in history class.

I mean I suppose you could stretch the definition of "reasonable" to include anything you want.  But the way I would describe it is "The US didn't mind stirring violent situations to make sure the psychopaths on our side came out on top."

Well, Guatemala 1954, Iran 1953, Chile 1973. None of those situations was even violent until the US decided to screw things up, and that's only a very short list off the top of my head.

I mean, for example, Guatemala was invaded and the elected government replaced with a military junta on purpose, because the president annoyed an American fruit company.

"Washington, of course, publicly denied its support for paramilitarism, but the practice of political disappearances took a great leap forward in Guatemala in 1966 with the birth of a death squad created, and directly supervised, by U.S. security advisors."
http://www.salon.com/2007/12/14/unholy_trinity/

So, no, there was no war in Guatemala at all before the Americans came, the war then started and the US actually inflamed the creation of death squads by their new favority junta, to suppress the - understandably - pissed off natives.

The US did do a lot of stupid shit during the cold war, no doubt about that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: March 19, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »

Also, mainiac, it sounds kinda naive to say "they never taught me that in history class!"

In Japan you get the same response from people if you ask them about Unit 731 or other Japanese atrocities.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:14:55 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1342