Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547735 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14940 on: March 18, 2016, 10:56:56 am »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: March 18, 2016, 11:12:13 am »

He's denied the positions on his webpage before, not to mention denying saying things he said just a day earlier, so...

edit: damn phone thought I meant 'setting' instead of 'denying'
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:35:08 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: March 18, 2016, 11:22:24 am »

But he's got a plan, and it's great, and you'll see!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: March 18, 2016, 11:31:35 am »

Quote from: Trump
Indeed, the annual cost of free tax credits alone paid to illegal immigrants quadrupled to $4.2 billion in 2011.

Umm, isn't a tax credit only applicable to someone who did some activity which would attract taxes? The big problem with this logic is that if you kick out the people getting $4.2 billion in tax credits, you don't magically get any money back - you just kicked out people who were contributing to the GDP: the economic activity against which the tax credits were issued isn't happening anymore.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:33:06 am by Reelya »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:02 am »

I read through the tax reforms proposed by troomp.

My eyes bleed.

It basically says:

u pae no tax bae

i tek corpret manies

fuk u cheena

I mean I shit you not I am quoting this from the page:

A one-time deemed repatriation of corporate cash held overseas at a significantly discounted 10% tax rate. Since we are making America’s corporate tax rate globally competitive, it is only fair that corporations help make that move fiscally responsible. U.S.-owned corporations have as much as $2.5 trillion in cash sitting overseas. Some companies have been leaving cash overseas as a tax maneuver. Under this plan, they can bring their cash home and put it to work in America while benefitting from the newly-lowered corporate tax rate that is globally competitive and no longer requires parking cash overseas. Other companies have cash overseas for specific business units or activities. They can leave that cash overseas, but they will still have to pay the one-time repatriation fee.

Bruh Stalin did repatriatation too but what the fuck troomp

dis is not ho u mek murcia gret agen
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:48 am »

Injecting more cash into America is totally not the magical fix Trump thinks it is. Does it really make any difference if corporations bring the cash home and "put it to work in America" or the Federal Reserve does?

I'm sure Trump is all against quantitative easing and expansionary monetary policy etc, but any policy which encourages corporations to inject their cash reserves into the US economy is exactly the same thing: good in the right circumstances, but not a good thing per se.

Actually, corporations who sit on huge cash piles and don't optimally deploy it can actually be good for the rest of us: they help to take excess cash out of circulation, which is anti-inflationary and gives the feds more room to breath when the shit hits the fan.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:52:34 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: March 18, 2016, 11:51:11 am »

Covenant, you're missing the Hitler point if you think it has anything to do with Jews. Although I full admit any connections with Hitler are simply circumstantial parallels. He hasn't actually started shipping people off to concentration camps, yet. (To the best of my knowledge.)

He hasn't gone "In depth" on any of the "technical" things you claim though, he's just said. We'll fix everything Obama broke and make it better. But he's never actually gone into details.

Also lol, George Soros. This isn't a reflection of you, but most of the time that name comes up seems like it's shouted by some crazy nutjob who got all their information from chain email hoaxes. On the other hand I'm sure the mention of the Koch brothers sounds like the same thing to the right wing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:10 am »

Yeah, the Soros thing makes you sound like a loon. He's the right-wing nutjobs favorite "liberal" to blame all the world's ills on. For example this "news" outlet:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/260665/soros-national-borders-are-enemy-matthew-vadum

The unusually frank statement from frequent coup kingpin George Soros

Makes it sound like he's an evil coup-plotter. When in fact the whole story there was that he backed pro-democracy movements to overthrow communist dictatorships. Yes, he used his wealth to overthrow governments: but they were governments molded from pure unadulterated evil. Compare that to the "good guys" of the CIA, who usually work behind the scenes to overthrow democracies and put evil dictators in.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:58:56 am by Reelya »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: March 18, 2016, 11:56:18 am »

He also seems to have a plank of turning US defense treaties into a protection racket. Charging places like Germany and Japan billions a year for our military presence, for instance.

It's not really a protection racket if you simply say pay us or we stop protecting you from an external treat. IMO those countries should just be glad that the US is pulling out anyway and just refuse the deal, it's not exactly a threat.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: March 18, 2016, 11:58:01 am »

Yeah, the Soros thing makes you sound like a loon. He's the right-wing nutjobs favorite "liberal" to blame all the world's ills on.

Soros is to the right what the Koch brothers are to the left. You could replace some proper nouns and no meaning would be lost from 99% of anything written about either of them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14950 on: March 18, 2016, 12:00:47 pm »

He also seems to have a plank of turning US defense treaties into a protection racket. Charging places like Germany and Japan billions a year for our military presence, for instance.

It's not really a protection racket if you simply say pay us or we stop protecting you from an external treat. IMO those countries should just be glad that the US is pulling out anyway and just refuse the deal, it's not exactly a threat.

While local people might not always like the US Military bases, (See the US base in Okinawa, Japan and their protests.) Most of the countries that have them, (Excepting Cuba) appreciate them to some extent, at least within our East Asia Allies and Western Europe. Outside of those areas, I'm less sure. I know we still have bases in the middle east in countries where we have some dicey relations, but at the same time, I haven't even heard a grumble about shutting them down.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: March 18, 2016, 12:01:19 pm »

And yet you are removing the competition for your vote.

There is no competition for my vote. There is a competition for my state's electors' votes, and the outcome of that competition has already been sealed, and in all probability was before the candidates were even announced. Mine is not a swing state. C'est la republique.

Yeah, bills to name post offices or decide whether the government stays open or not are so boring.

Clearly not what I'm talking about.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: March 18, 2016, 12:02:45 pm »

I did a search for 'israel newspaper endorse trump' but found nothing. Well, I found http://www.mintpressnews.com/jewish-leaders-plan-boycott-donald-trump-aipac-encouraging-hate/214889/

"[FEAR! UNCERTAINTY! DOUBT!]" isn't a reason to deport or refuse refugees either. There are a ton of people, including unaccompanied children, who have left their homes and fled north to escape gang violence. Obama's justice department hasn't done a good job with this at all - they've been sending them back to get killed, presumably because of the public outcry on the right when they're shown any compassion at all. It puzzles me - you know what the right thing to do is, the compassionate thing, so why do the opposite over and over again?

(Trump would presumably be even harsher)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14953 on: March 18, 2016, 12:04:45 pm »

We are discussing whether or not it would be a protection racket to charge them, whether we should charge them etc. But that misses a major point. South Korea, the example Trump used, is already paying quite a lot of money for the support of our troops there.

This is a very Trump-y debate. We're taking the words of a complete ignoramus seriously and very few people are taking a moment to check whether he even knows WTH he is talking about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:08:49 pm by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: March 18, 2016, 12:07:53 pm »

The problem is also that the protection of Japan is in exchange for Japan not having a standing military. Constitutionally. "This country no longer possesses the power of war." Similar (but less sealed-in-stone-and-blood) shit with Germany. "If you countries ever go imperial again then we know we're completely fucked, so, uh, we'll just protect you instead, okay?" "Hey, Japan, no nuclear weapons for you, but we'll keep you under our shield in case China or Korea ever tries something."

We already have a deal there. Saying "Pay us or we remove our troops" is contrary to the reason for those troops being there, which is occupation. If we leave, then we lose influence in those territories and Japan has a very rational reason to change constitution and start stockpiling arms again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:09:36 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1342