Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550030 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13710 on: March 07, 2016, 03:27:13 pm »

If I am in a car crash, and the person who is in it with me needs one of my kidneys, I am not automatically stripped of a kidney for them, even though they don't consent to die from a lack of kidney. The use of a womb is as such not entitled to a fetus. Conception is not consent to use.

@ PTTG: Abortion isn't a moral issue, it is a body autonomy issue. As soon as the state legalizes the extraction of organs from someone without their express consent in the case that someone is dying who needs them, then it can become a moral issue. Until then, no one can be obligated to render the insides of their body to save the life of another person. Unless we're arguing that the mother's body becomes the property of the child as soon as they are conceived?

The fact that this issue is controversial is the height of hypocrisy in a nation that champions individualism to the highest degree.
Well, the babies are dying, and they definitely need their organ. So yes? I think it is a moral issue.

I am also a christian so that is what I believe anyway. Feel free to disagree with me. (please don't hurt me :'()
I ... am also a Christian? What does that have to do with it?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: March 07, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

My faith is a big reason why I think abortion is wrong. Which could make my opinion seem subjective.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: March 07, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »

My faith is a big reason why I think abortion is wrong. Which could make my opinion seem subjective.
It's wrong, but that's not why it should be legal. It should be legal because not having it as an option is also wrong. If there's a choice to be made, the law sides with the person who owns the property in dispute.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: March 07, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »

If I am in a car crash, and the person who is in it with me needs one of my kidneys, I am not automatically stripped of a kidney for them, even though they don't consent to die from a lack of kidney. The use of a womb is as such not entitled to a fetus. Conception is not consent to use.

How are we conflating abortion with consent to use? or organ donation even.... or maybe property ownership....

My first thought was 'Sounds like we need to develop exowombs ASAP so that women can say yes or no 'you do/don't have consent to use the exowomb I own.'

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek while trying to understand the odd tangent the abortion discussion is taking.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: March 07, 2016, 03:35:08 pm »

How are we conflating abortion with consent to use? or organ donation even.... or maybe property ownership....

My first thought was 'Sounds like we need to develop exowombs ASAP so that women can say yes or no 'you don't have consent to use the exowomb I own.'

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek while trying to understand the odd tangent the abortion discussion is taking.
Did I suddenly fall into an alternate world where women don't carry babies to term in their own bodies? Or maybe one where the womb isn't considered an organ with a woman's body? Or maybe one where Women's bodies aren't considered their own property? Because I've been using these baseline facts to inform my arguments, and if I am wrong about any of those then this whole thing would be pretty weird for me to be saying!

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: March 07, 2016, 03:38:35 pm »

My first thought was 'Sounds like we need to develop exowombs ASAP so that women can say yes or no 'you don't have consent to use the exowomb I own.'

Did I suddenly fall into an alternate world where women don't carry babies to term in their own bodies? Or maybe one where the womb isn't considered an organ with a woman's body? Or maybe one where Women's bodies aren't considered their own property? Because I've been using these baseline facts to inform my arguments, and if I am wrong about any of those then this whole thing would be pretty weird for me to be saying!

I think it's more about the fact that speaking of women's body and property in the same sentence can rise a few highbrows..

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: March 07, 2016, 03:39:48 pm »

I'm not used to seeing organ donation and, well, at least in the way you're saying it, property ownership, discussed in abortion. So, it just looked wierd.

I generally stay out of the abortion discussions, and for the record, I think women should have control over their own bodies.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: March 07, 2016, 03:41:55 pm »

Also, a white person being racist to other white people, how does that work? Could you give an example of what he said that would be insensitive to white people? I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything, I'm just wondering what you mean here.

People are racist towards their own race all the time.  I thought that was pretty much universally acknowledged.  Am I mistaken in this impression?

Now I feel like it is VERY much against the spirit of this thread to provide an example on this subject but because you asked me a direct question on the subject, I'll break with the norm.  Apologies in advance if it offends anyone.

I see Bernie Sanders talking about stuff like free college tuition or ending free trade agreements with China and I'm like "whoa".  Bernie Sanders wasn't talking about this stuff back in his 20s.  Suddenly when he is running for president he cares about a bunch of stuff white people want?  It's amazing how he acts this racist and pandering to white people and they dont care.  They just go on voting against their own economic white interest.  And then he has the gall to act like Hillary Clinton isn't sympathetic to the economic insecurities of the white working class that he is pandering to.

((Man, it's weird writing like this.))
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: March 07, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »

When he was in his 20's, I don't think we even had any trade agreements with China at the time.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: March 07, 2016, 03:46:48 pm »

I think it's more about the fact that speaking of women's body and property in the same sentence can rise a few highbrows..
Yes, I get that. But the issue for the longest time was the women's bodies were other people's property. Now we've got a pretty good system whereby everyone's bodies are their own property. This informs a metric ton of medical law. You can't be compelled for medical treatment, it's an infringement of your rights. You can't be compelled to give up your medical rights. Abortion is the only way to enforce a woman's body autonomy in the case of pregnancy, and not having legal access to it is an infringement of her rights. You can say that the baby should also have body autonomy rights, true, but their rights stop as soon as they infringe on the rights of others. Right to assembly doesn't trump right to private property. So in the fight of body autonomy rights, the baby loses.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »

Yes, I get that. But the issue for the longest time was the women's bodies were other people's property. Now we've got a pretty good system whereby everyone's bodies are their own property. This informs a metric ton of medical law. You can't be compelled for medical treatment, it's an infringement of your rights. You can't be compelled to give up your medical rights. Abortion is the only way to enforce a woman's body autonomy in the case of pregnancy, and not having legal access to it is an infringement of her rights. You can say that the baby should also have body autonomy rights, true, but their rights stop as soon as they infringe on the rights of others. Right to assembly doesn't trump right to private property. So in the fight of body autonomy rights, the baby loses.

True.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »

The problem here though is that many people are angry/frustrated/dissapointed that things aren't working, which would be the Trump, Sanders, and (up to a point) Cruz followers, while Clinton, Rubio, and Kasich are basically 'leave things the way they are'.

I agree with you, rolepgeek, on the thought of Trump having access to the nuclear button, but when the choices are Trump and Clinton, do you see the dilemma here? It's true that some people will be solidly on one side or another, but there will be those who can't really choose either one, and I might be one of those.
I trust Clinton with our nuclear arsenal. I do not trust Trump with it. In fact, I trust nigh-literally every candidate other than Trump to not nuke anyone. Clinton is not a deal-breaker for me. I'd rather have Sanders, but I'm alright with Clinton. I'm not alright with Trump. The country will be, even if you think nothing else, intact when Hilary gets out of office. The idea of President Trump makes me physically scared for my wellbeing. The idea of president Clinton is irritating. They are on wholly different levels of unsavory, for me. No change is better than change for the worse, even if change for the better is better than either one.

Okay fine, I am going to call Bernie Sanders a racist in every post from here to november.  Apparently that is the behavior that people want to see.

And of course it's not surprising, seeing as they support famed racist Bernie Sanders.
mainiac, stop. Seriously. Take a break. Take a minute to stop, and think about the way you're acting right now.

Did you take that minute? Can you see why I asked you to? Because that behavior is childish and immature. Not least because you're using it a. purely as an appeal to emotion, which while not intrinsically bad, is being paired with b. making shit up to prove some point or another, and c. intentionally phrasing in such a way that you're primarily insulting the supporters, rather than the politicians.

Politicians are fucking politicians. They can take some criticism, some verbal abuse whatever, they're gonna face metric shittons of it if they get into office anyway. That's what it's like in a society of free speech. But you don't get to be an asshole to their supporters just because your feelings got hurt when someone said the candidate you preferred was racist. (multiple reasons, the first one being that everyone's goddamn racist, the second one being that it's simply wrong, regardless of whether or not other people do it).

You're saying that these remarks are completely unsubstantiated, when most of the time as far as I could tell, they came after specific incidents that would serve as circumstantial evidence of their being true. I could be wrong here. But I'm still not going to just insult people at random because politicians are being insulted.

@ PTTG: Abortion isn't a moral issue, it is a body autonomy issue. As soon as the state legalizes the extraction of organs from someone without their express consent in the case that someone is dying who needs them, then it can become a moral issue. Until then, no one can be obligated to render the insides of their body to save the life of another person. Unless we're arguing that the mother's body becomes the property of the child as soon as they are conceived?

The fact that this issue is controversial is the height of hypocrisy in a nation that champions individualism to the highest degree.
As patronizing as it sounds, that's your opinion, and many disagree. For example, here's a couple of things wrong with your example; we have the ability to get organs from other sources, and while it's not enough for the demand, it's still there in significant enough quantity as to be feasible. The same does not hold true of artificial wombs. Furthermore, organ extraction often or always kills the donor, except in the case of liver and kidneys, I believe. Pregnancy is not quite the same level of risk. Finally, if you believed abortion was killing babies; like you honestly believed that it was approximately equivalent to allowing an infant to starve because breastfeeding them was too difficult/painful (I don't hold this opinion; others very well could), would you really say 'well it's the mother's choice'? If it was that easy, it would be solved.

On a different note, PTTG?: where is my incentive to make more than a billion dollars per year? Like, once I'm making that much, why should I try to continue to make money that I won't see? Selflessness? Because that's what got me to be a billionaire? Why wouldn't I simply want to leave the country and take my tax dollars somewhere else? Am I disallowed from moving? That's a bit of an extreme measure: "we want your money, so you have to be rich here, and nowhere else". 100,000$ per year is actually quite a lot. Like, 70,000$ a year is considered, counting taxes, to be about where money stops in terms of being able to bring up your happiness; all your needs are essentially covered and you don't have to stress too much about the bills.

Labor is not the only restriction on startup costs, and while corporations are basically sociopaths obsessed with money, non-profit corporations are...well, I've never really heard of them, to be honest. Non-profit companies? Sure. Businesses? Definitely. Not corporations. And without investors, it's gonna be real hard to raise the funds for that medicine manufacturing facility.

Also curious where this money is coming from, for the education and medical care. I mean, we're cutting off trade relations, failing to tax a massive segment of the population, paying basic incomes to anyone who wants one...are we gonna default on our loans, so that we can accumulate a new debt with this?

Putting people in prison for things that have been legal is also a bit extreme. Sure, there's corruption, but justice does not mean 'punish the wrongdoer'. It means 'make what was wrong, right'. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Guns exacerbate the bigger problem in America which is that we tend to be more violent overall. Like, even where there aren't guns, we tend to have higher rates of violent crime that a lot of other places. Culture of violence and whatnot.

Like, I know I'm idealistic and shit; I'm hoping to make death a non-factor for people with access to decent medical care(hard to do much for everyone else without going into politics), but...I feel like this wasn't thought through all the way. Mostly the financial/economic bits. Shit costs money, yo. Especially if you want good shit. And I'd like my education and medical care to be good, personally. Plus...I also have higher standards for those in office, but not micromanaging army-style standards, where a single fuckup by one of your subordinates means you never advance. Take responsibility, but the President is still human.

Oh fucking hell 16 goddamne replies while I typed this...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »

Also, a white person being racist to other white people, how does that work? Could you give an example of what he said that would be insensitive to white people?
"When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto. You don't know what it's like to be poor."

And then he has the gall to act like Hillary Clinton isn't sympathetic to the economic insecurities of the white working class that he is pandering to.
She's definitely said she is, but it's true that she's pretty tight with Wall Street and there's no real reason to suspect that her claims are honest.
((Man, it's weird writing like this.))
Please get used to it. It's definitely preferable to the way you were before.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:44 pm »

When he was in his 20's, I don't think we even had any trade agreements with China at the time.

Oh so I'm just supposed to believe that he is sincere in these new beliefs because of some excuse like that?  Oh dont worry you stupid white people, he is really on your side!  No, no, it's not racist to think white people are that stupid.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:27 pm »

Responding to the start of the exercises, Kim threatened Monday to unleash a "preemptive nuclear strike of justice."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/07/469470564/north-korea-threatens-preemptive-strike-as-u-s-south-korea-hold-military-exercis

can we just crush them already? china would be delighted if they just disappeared one day.
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1342