Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544378 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13395 on: March 03, 2016, 06:31:32 pm »

Yeah, that doesn't get said enough.  They condemn Trump but they are proud of the decades of work they did to make Trump possible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: March 03, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »

Spoiler: Best Bernie Meme Yet (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: March 03, 2016, 06:39:53 pm »

I think the time for jokes has passed.
The time to poke fun at Trump on the web will never pass. As he prances into the White house, mumbling about yuuuge walls we will joke. As he puts a broom handle in your wheel of progress we will mock. As the Trumptroopers march down the streets, dragging the broken bodies of those caught wearing off-brand clothing, we will snigger.

He is that much of a colossal joke.

And the US is playing it on itself.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:30 pm »

Oh, and apparently Romney is exploring blocking Trump at the convention. I don't have the article since that's breaking news apparently and I don't know what the details would be. Though I could guess that he's looking for some way to block him from getting the nomination at the convention.

Trying to 'fix' the convention that way would be a massive mistake for the republicans. Might even make the democrats 1968 convention look tame.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/republican-national-convention-cleveland-riot-gear-220212

While that is just normal preparation, I think they may want to double that amount.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:09:56 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:56 pm »

Romney only suggested that Republicans opposed to Trump vote for whichever non-Trump candidate is polling highest in their state. It was in his speech.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: March 03, 2016, 07:31:28 pm »

Oh, and apparently Romney is exploring blocking Trump at the convention. I don't have the article since that's breaking news apparently and I don't know what the details would be. Though I could guess that he's looking for some way to block him from getting the nomination at the convention.

Trying to 'fix' the convention that way would be a massive mistake for the republicans. Might even make the democrats 1968 convention look tame.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/republican-national-convention-cleveland-riot-gear-220212

While that is just normal preparation, I think they may want to double that amount.

Throwing the election could easily be much-needed less damaging than throwing the sickly might of the party behind Trump
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: March 03, 2016, 07:38:18 pm »

Nothing is going to make Trump more likely to win than ganging up on him at the Convention, and doing it openly. The dude thrives on opposition and it plays directly into the narrative he's created.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:46 pm »

Nothing is going to make Trump more likely to win than ganging up on him at the Convention, and doing it openly. The dude thrives on opposition and it plays directly into the narrative he's created.

Well the alternative to ganging up on him is nominating him.  Anything other then that would be interpreted as ganging up on him if things were still up in the air come Cleveland.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: March 03, 2016, 08:00:07 pm »

Negotiating to move delegates away from Trump happens either way. But the desire to appear strong like they're "saving the Republican party" from Trump comes at the cost of publicly validating his "the establishment is out to get me" narrative he's weaving. I think that's worth of some voters and delegates on the Republican side, and possibly undecideds in the general election, who may not be able to understand thing #1 about Trumps constantly shifting platform, but who can get behind the simple idea of a man who does have popular support and ebil politicians are trying to steal the election away from him. Americans like an underdog story. They also believe in a fair contest, I think, or at least value it. Despite how destructive I think he'd be to this country, part of even me is like "he came this far despite all expectations, why not let him take his shot like everyone else?" And it's not because I vote Democrat.

So I think drumming up all this noise about mobilizing the party to stop Trump isn't gaining them anything while it's definitely losing them something. I feel like this is the Political Schadenfreude moment I've been waiting for, for a long time. But with the shadow of potential president as bad as Trump hanging over it though, it's harder to really enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:11:42 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: March 03, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »

Trump plays the victim card like thousands of affluent white straight men wish they could play the victim card.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13405 on: March 03, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »

I can't tell if that's a disagreement or not. But I agree with your statement. I don't know why the average person among his backers can't see through the bullshit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »

I'd say he is more whoring it up on the "anti-establishment" ticket.  As a consequence, after his first term-- (if elected)-- his voterbase will diminish sharply. If elected, I would not expect a second term.

He is more a consequence of a perfect storm of two factors in the republican voter demographic.

1) Dissatisfaction with the party leadership (seen previously with teaparty idiocy-- which the party circumvented through absorption-- to its detriment.) leads to reactionary voting for "non-estabishment" candidates.

2) A large, culturally unpalatable population of conservatives who hate affirmative action, et al-- who are shameless about this, and love that a candidate is speaking their flavor of purile crap, who have some of feature 1 above in that they see more moderate behavior as "capitulation" with "minority agendas" (whatever those are.) These people are the typical racist, homophobic, and generally unpleasant people you typically come to expect to find hidden in the republican party. They have votes, and those votes have power.

Overall satisfaction with party leadership is at all time lows. As a consequence, it is no big surprise that an "anti-establishment" figure like Trump (scare quotes used with prejudicial irony) is getting so much love.

The fact that the GOP has radicalized their voter base to make them into rabid, vapid imbeciles only complicates matters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13407 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:15 pm »

I can't tell if that's a disagreement or not. But I agree with your statement. I don't know why the average person among his backers can't see through the bullshit.
Many do, they just don't care, or see the alternative as an even worse option. .
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: March 03, 2016, 08:41:49 pm »

Anyway, republican debate in about 19ish minutes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13409 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:50 pm »

Add in dissatisfaction with politics as usual.  Trump looks like a sledgehammer...

Probably dissatisfaction with the poorly recovering job market too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1342