Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545502 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12900 on: February 29, 2016, 08:10:55 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily care. But America has collective amnesia on most things politicians say, or as an electorate has simply stopped caring what they say and just invents its own narrative. So being offensively conservative stops seeming like such a liability in the general elections to me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:00 pm »

Trying to out-Trump Trump could also backfire on Hillary, since, you know, he's thrown the SOPs out the window.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: February 29, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »

I'm curious to see if the whole "Trump didn't immediately disavow David Duke!" thing is going to backfire bigtime on Rubio. Because talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. From all the clips I've heard, Trump *did* disavow him the day before at a rally, and then his response in the interview was more along the lines of "Why are you still asking me this?" than a "I won't disavow the KKK".

Cruz seems to have the sense to just say "Yeah, sucks to be Donald." and leave it at that. Rubio is taking the hysterics to a whole new level.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:42 pm »

John Oliver's 20 minute piece on Donald Drumpf is worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ
Spread it. Make Donald Drumpf Again.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: February 29, 2016, 08:57:29 pm »

Trying to out-Trump Trump could also backfire on Hillary, since, you know, he's thrown the SOPs out the window.

Yeah, there's a problem with that theory, it's wrong:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/national-primary-polls/republican/

Trump isn't a popular figure in the republican party.  He has the biggest chunk but he doesn't have broad popularity.  Even the really pathetic weaksauce attacks the other republicans have made are enough to keep him to that.  Honestly even if they didn't make the attacks he would probably be kept to that.  Trump is winning because other candidates haven't succeeded in making their own winning coalitions so Trump's 37% is good enough.  12 million supporters is all it takes if no one else even has 10 million supporters.

Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders on the other hand do have a very simple and very effective campaign message that gets them a lot more then 12 million supporters.  That message is "I'm the democratic nominee".  Sure some people hate political parties, but there are about 50 million voters that are a sure bet to turn out for either of them.  Obviously you want to move beyond that lower bound and get more votes but the point is this:  Trump is winning the primaries by default.  He can not win the general election by default.

It cuts both ways of course, Trump will get a lot of supporters on the "I'm the republican nominee" message.  It's hard to say exactly how many given what a special snowflake Trump is.  But most of those voters are the kind on which attack ads normally work.  And they're voters who are not currently supporting Trump, in large part because of all the horrible (true) things people say about him.  So saying that Trump is immune to attacks because he is winning is wrong.  Trump is one of the more vulnerable to attacks candidates in a long, long time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: February 29, 2016, 08:58:08 pm »

I'm curious to see if the whole "Trump didn't immediately disavow David Duke!" thing is going to backfire bigtime on Rubio.
He's gotten a bit of play out of it, at least, but it probably will go too far and backfire. Trump has been very resilient to that kind of character defamation so far.

You're not thinking 80s enough. The Trumpocratic animal would be a tiger or a wolf (perhaps a shark) and the party emblem would probably be it eating both the Donkey and the Elephant.

But you're right in that it would be gold-plated.

(...And so long as I'm doing my damnedest to lower the level of discourse, here's my favorite piece of Trump criticism so far this election:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: February 29, 2016, 10:46:11 pm »

Sanders voters...And TRUMP?  You sure?
Sorry to dig this back up but...  Yeah.  It's the case with a couple people I know, and I still don't quite get it. 

Honestly it's what made me take a step back from Sanders and think "Is he actually a good idea, or are these friends of mine just willing to vote for anyone antiestablishment?"  I nodded through so much uncomfortably extreme anti-Clinton rhetoric...  But the fact that they would then switch to Trump really destroyed my trust in their political opinion.  I mean, they spend so much time watching political shows on YouTube...  I thought they had actual insight :/

Anyway, don't misunderstand me:  Clinton isn't great just because they called her terrible.  I just need to look up reliable sources.  But I'm super leery of the vitriol now, it seems suspiciously one-sided.  Clinton supporters say Sanders' platform is too extreme to get enacted, whereas a certain Sanders supporter *in this thread* keeps saying Clinton "only gets votes because she has a vagina".

Next time I see it phrased so baitingly, I'm reporting.  I'm sick of that feud, and people have been banned recently for far less.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:16 pm »

If you can't see how Clinton is riding the Woman President hype train as an electoral strategy, then you are willfully ignorant of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »

a certain Sanders supporter *in this thread* keeps saying Clinton "only gets votes because she has a vagina".
Hey, now. That's not what was said. That was used as an example of such undeniable stupidity in reasoning that nobody would question whether it was sensible, so that RedKing could comment on how stupid voting for somebody because of their age was.

... although it looks like msh wants to pursue that conversation so what the fuck ever i guess have fun, i'll get the popcorn
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:31 pm »

If you can't see how Clinton is riding the Woman President hype train as an electoral strategy, then you are willfully ignorant of it.

There is an inherent double standard in this comment.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: February 29, 2016, 11:01:37 pm »

... although it looks like msh wants to pursue that conversation so what the fuck ever i guess have fun, i'll get the popcorn
In the time I've been on this forum, I've seen "agree with me or get banned" shit several times, and I've never let it lie fallow. There's no worse kind of attitude to a discussion thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:48 pm »

I can see her trying to do that, yes and she has been trying, but that hype doesn't seem very hype-ey. I mean, it's nowhere near the same level as it was for Obama, or at least it isn't a hit with the younger crowd.

I'm totally cool with a woman president (I think she would be kind of the American equivalent of Margaret Thatcher), just would be nice if we had more choices besides Clinton.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:05:02 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »

In the time I've been on this forum, I've seen "agree with me or get banned" shit several times, and I've never let it lie fallow. There's no worse kind of attitude to a discussion thread.
In your haste to be incensed, you seem to have missed that that was not even remotely what rol said.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:44 pm »

I can see her trying to do that, yes and she has been trying, but that hype doesn't seem very hype-ey. I mean, it's nowhere near the same level as it was for Obama.

I'm totally cool with a woman president (I think she would be kind of the American equivalent of Margaret Thatcher), just would be nice if we had more choices besides Clinton.

Not sure Maggie is the best thing to be compared to... but I'm Scottish, so I'm like, super-biased in that respect. She was also super conservative.

Maggie was polarizing enough she had a state funeral and the week she died "The Witch is Dead" was number one in the charts.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: February 29, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »

(I think she would be kind of the American equivalent of Margaret Thatcher)

Oh god know.  I would vote for Trump to avoid that.  I want my first time with a woman president to be something special.  Someone who will transform me into a more complete and mature citizen.

Not sure Maggie is the best thing to be compared to... but I'm a human being, so I'm like, super-biased in that respect.

FTFY
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1342