Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545717 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12885 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »

Sanders voters...And TRUMP?  You sure?
Yeah. There's a detectable current of "I'm angry with politics" in some of Sanders' supporters, and if that matters to them more than basic sanity then Trump's probably second-best. Not to mention the folks who are rabidly anti-Clinton.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:43 pm »

Arpaio has been a Trump supporter for months now (probably right after Trump said he'd build a wall), though an 'official' endorsement may have been more recent.

I'm very confident Trump would lose to Hillary. Even if the Republicans don't run an independent against him, he doesn't have enough broad appeal. He would probably pick up some former Sanders supporters, but that'll most likely be balanced by moderate Republicans crossing over to vote for Hillary (who is, really, an old-style moderate centrist/conservative). He's got roughly a third of the Republican base, and he's having a helluva lot of trouble increasing that. Short of the aforementioned 9/11 2: Jet-Fuel Boogaloo, I can't really think of a scenario in which Trump actually wins the Presidency.

While I agree, theres a good deal of uncertanity to go around. I think Bloomberg said that he'd jump in if Trump was a nominee, or maybe that was if it was Sanders. But yeah, barring some sort of boogaloo, the republicans are doomed to lose this election. It's like ANYTHING could happen.

I don't even know why they thought getting an independent bid would be a good idea because of the spoiler effect, desperation I suppose.

There are people who have Sanders as their first choice and Trump as their second, this lists two: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/if-you-want-to-understand-whats-roiling-the-2016-election-go-to-oklahoma/

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:43 pm »

You pick any two politicians and there is some crossover appeal.  There's always some iconoclasts.  Most Sanders supporters wouldn't be down with the whole giant asshole stance but some men just want to watch the world burn.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: February 29, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

But yeah, barring some sort of boogaloo, the republicans are doomed to lose this election. It's like ANYTHING could happen.

I would not underestimate the legitimizing effects the party nomination can have for candidates like Trump. It's still technically fun and games right now where Trump being Trump is both effective at garnering support and attention, and mortifying at the same time. If he gets the nomination I'd expect a change in tone from him to some small degree. And even if he stayed the exact same, I'd expect some of the "discerning independents" would start to see him as a legitimate choice, regardless of how destructive he clearly is, for the presidency.

TLDR: Never underestimate America's capacity to shoot itself in the foot or to mistake entertainment for substance.

However if it comes down to Cruz or Rubio, yeah, I expect they'll lose soundly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: February 29, 2016, 07:03:20 pm »

But yeah, barring some sort of boogaloo, the republicans are doomed to lose this election. It's like ANYTHING could happen.

I would not underestimate the legitimizing effects the party nomination can have for candidates like Trump. It's still technically fun and games right now where Trump being Trump is both effective at garnering support and attention, and mortifying at the same time. If he gets the nomination I'd expect a change in tone from him to some small degree. And even if he stayed the exact same, I'd expect some of the "discerning independents" would start to see him as a legitimate choice, regardless of how destructive he clearly is, for the presidency.

TLDR: Never underestimate America's capacity to shoot itself in the foot or to mistake entertainment for substance.

In polls that have Rubio vs Clinton, Rubio actually does well, competitively even. Theres a reason why the democrats are scared of a Rubio nomination, so, I wouldn't rule him out yet, or a brokered/contested convention even.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: February 29, 2016, 07:09:58 pm »

In polls that have Rubio vs Clinton, Rubio actually does well, competitively even. Theres a reason why the democrats are scared of a Rubio nomination, so, I wouldn't rule him out yet, or a brokered/contested convention even.
I could almost see Rubio doing well against Clinton, in a low-voter-turnout Battle of the Blands sort of way. I'm going to go out on a limb, though, and predict that any situation where Trump doesn't end up the official Republican nominee, he goes independent and takes his supporters with him. He's been doing too well for too long now for his ego to allow him to back down; I don't think he'd care at all about fracturing the party.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:43 pm »

I dunno, Rubio doesn't seem to do well under pressure. He's also going for youth vs. experience, which worked for Obama. But Obama was a lot stronger throughout the primaries (at least anecdotally to me.) Rubio has had to fight to be heard above Trump like everyone else and taken some bruises along the way. To me it seems like the only thing he'd have going for him with swing voters is that Hilary is Hilary, not that he brings some substantial charm, experience, grace or great ideas to the table.

I don't think he'd care at all about fracturing the party.

Yeah but consider what proportion of his backers are willing to vote outside their party label. It's one thing to back the Dark Horse of your party. It's another to follow them out to completely uncharted territory (which a viable independent candidate is in the US, unless you count Perot's 19% as mattering in whether or not an independent was viable.)

It would be hilariously ironic if Trump was the one to bring to the US political system what so many have been begging for.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:16:49 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: February 29, 2016, 07:17:23 pm »

The default assumption should be any vaguely normal election will be competitive.  There is decades of evidence to bear that out and it makes a priori sense from the median voter theory.  Marco Rubio vs. Hillary Clinton or Marco Rubio vs. Bernie Sanders would be a vaguely normal election.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:18 pm »

Well, on paper, Rubio is competitive with Clinton. It's also not his fault that he had to fight to be heard, largely because Trump is Trump. Heck, having a tough primary and taking some bruises would probably make him stronger than if he didn't have to go through a tough primary.

Yeah but consider what proportion of his backers are willing to vote outside their party label. It's one thing to back the Dark Horse of your party. It's another to follow them out to completely uncharted territory (which a viable independent candidate is in the US, unless you count Perot's 19% as mattering in whether or not an independent was viable.)

It would be hilariously ironic if Trump was the one to bring to the US political system what so many have been begging for.

It's also ironic that the republican party is turning to (or looking into anyway) the very thing that they and the democrats have routinely blocked from rising for decades now, even if it's out of desperation.

Anybody know if Bloomberg put his requirement for doing an independent bid as Trump being the nominee or what was it exactly? The democrat establishment has to be mildly worried about that because even a small spoiler effect would tip things in a close election.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:27:38 pm by smjjames »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:42 pm »

True, but quite a bit of the support he gets is from people who are "fed up with politics as usual". I doubt all or even most of his support would follow him, but it's reasonable that he would take enough with him to do some damage to the Republican side.

History will remember this as the rise of the Trumpist Party, its gold-plated Bald Eagle grinding both Elephant and Donkey into dust O_O

The default assumption should be any vaguely normal election will be competitive.  There is decades of evidence to bear that out and it makes a priori sense from the median voter theory.  Marco Rubio vs. Hillary Clinton or Marco Rubio vs. Bernie Sanders would be a vaguely normal election.
Hush with the reasonableness, you. We've got a monogrammed Party to build!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:35:14 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:45 pm »

History will remember this as the rise of the Trumpist Party, it's gold-plated Bald Eagle grinding both Elephant and Donkey into dust O_O

You're not thinking 80s enough. The Trumpocratic animal would be a tiger or a wolf (perhaps a shark) and the party emblem would probably be it eating both the Donkey and the Elephant.

But you're right in that it would be gold-plated.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:10 pm »

No, the animal will be his toupee. /jokeisms

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »

Hush with the reasonableness, you. We've got a monogrammed Party to build!

When the unwashed masses storm the barricades I will be there, looking down on them and saying "this is quite unproductive!"

Well, on paper, Rubio is competitive with Clinton. It's also not his fault that he had to fight to be heard, largely because Trump is Trump. Heck, having a tough primary and taking some bruises would probably make him stronger than if he didn't have to go through a tough primary.

Anybody know if Bloomberg put his requirement for doing an independent bid as Trump being the nominee or what was it exactly? The democrat establishment has to be mildly worried about that because even a small spoiler effect would tip things in a close election.

He said he would do it if Trump and Sanders won.  I imagine he would probably do it if Trump and Clinton won and he thought he could win.  Whether he can win may not have any bearing on what he thinks.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: February 29, 2016, 07:59:12 pm »

misquote there, btw.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: February 29, 2016, 08:07:34 pm »

He's likely just pandering, but anyone who can spout off an identical line 3 or 4 times in the same debate, where he says he honestly believes that Obama is intentionally doing harm to the country just seems too much on the extreme side to me... Only thing that makes him seem even half way reasonable in those circumstances is the fact that he's standing next to Ted "Coloring Book" Cruz and Donald "I'd date my daughter" Trump when he's saying it.

But at the same time I KNOW he can be more reasonable, and he is simply pandering to the extreme end of the base. I think that's a mistake, but apparently someone's decided he needs to out Trump Trump rather than play the moderate reasonable voice. But I guess that's Kasich's and formerly Bush's position and it's not exactly working for them.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1342