Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544432 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11835 on: February 15, 2016, 09:00:16 pm »

they're actually trying to parlay their intransigence about anything Obama into votes for the election.
... being fair(?), hasn't that been a notable chunk of... pretty much every meaningful republican candidate's campaign, this cycle?* It's sometimes hard to tell whether they're running against a potential clinton or sanders, or obama.

*Well, and probably last cycle, too. Since obama got elected/first ran, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »

If they trotted out the 'ol "an Obama appointee will make your sons and daughters marry gay and declare the US a secular nation blah blah blah" I'd be unfazed. That's SOP for Conservative Republicans and would at least be honest in the context of their normal beliefs. But this "Americans have a right to choose the next SCJ (via the Presidential elections)" is trying to cast the Supreme Court appointee as something it's not: a popular election.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: February 15, 2016, 11:14:51 pm »

Here's the big question... which would the Republican senate hate worse. An Obama Justice now, which they do have quite the political clout in forcing to be a moderate choice from Obama, or the potential of a Trump or Sanders justice next year? Or hell, just Obama himself as justice next year as Clinton has suggested.

Although thinking about it, they may just eat Obama on the court right up. It solidifies the right's long held political boogeyman as a permanent fixture in politics they can keep bringing up to scare their base to action for the foreseeable future. And certainly there's several other justices that are up for replacement any time now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: February 16, 2016, 12:11:40 am »

I wouldn't mind a liberal Justice appointed by Sanders, really. As long as they're sensible anyway.

Besides, don't you guys think Obama would want a break for a while after his term is over? Not that he'll disappear from the political scene entirely.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:59 am »

Still have not heard a single disadvantage to Justice Snoop Dog, I'm glad we're all in agreement on this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: February 16, 2016, 12:18:09 am »

Still have not heard a single disadvantage to Justice Snoop Dog, I'm glad we're all in agreement on this.

He's not a lawyer?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34:32 am »

He's not a lawyer?

That's a bonus.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: February 16, 2016, 01:14:42 am »

I wouldn't mind a liberal Justice appointed by Sanders, really. As long as they're sensible anyway.

Besides, don't you guys think Obama would want a break for a while after his term is over? Not that he'll disappear from the political scene entirely.
A post on the SCOTUS is a break. He gets to start acting like a crotchety old man before he's even properly middle-aged.  :P

I, for one, want to see Sanders use his foul necromancy to bring Trotsky back from the grave, fuse him with Mao's ghost, and appoint him as the new Justice by executive order. :^)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11843 on: February 16, 2016, 03:08:30 am »

I know I'm a bit late for the union discussion, but I have to say I don't see how anyone in favour of free trade and the capitalist system when in practice it just comes down the the workers making sure they get the most profit out of their capital and the product they are selling - their time and labour. The board and managers could always go down to the floor themselves if they don't think it's worth it - it's not like it's a god given right to have people do work for you.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: February 16, 2016, 07:34:47 am »

I know I'm a bit late for the union discussion, but I have to say I don't see how anyone in favour of free trade and the capitalist system when in practice it just comes down the the workers making sure they get the most profit out of their capital and the product they are selling - their time and labour. The board and managers could always go down to the floor themselves if they don't think it's worth it - it's not like it's a god given right to have people do work for you.
Well, basically a union (or having such a weird skill set that you can't be replaced) works out to being a monopoly on the labor supply. There are lots of good reasons for people who like free trade to oppose monopolies. The biggest is that it upsets one of the major assumptions about what keeps folks honest - that if you're a dickbag, your customers can just go somewhere else. That said, I am not a capitalist, and feel this is an acceptable sacrifice in the current employment market.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: February 16, 2016, 08:32:14 am »

I thought unions were supposed to help protect against exploitative bosses or something and as a tool for workers rights and stuff.

I'm sure it's true that they can make things worse in other ways.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11846 on: February 16, 2016, 08:49:02 am »

They are! And the way they do that is to establish a monopoly on labor so that employers have no choice but to be fair to their workers, or else they won't have any. Where this potentially becomes a problem is that it means you can't have a choice as to whether or not you're in the union.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:41 am »

That's only for specific employers. Even in areas with powerful trade unions, at least a third of the labor pool for those jobs is non-unionized. Of course, those non-union workers tend to do much shoddier work since they don't get the union training, and cost almost as much because the vast unemployement pool that employers depend on for their master/servant relationship doesn't exist in those fields, but it does exist.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: February 16, 2016, 09:11:43 am »

A post on the SCOTUS is a break. He gets to start acting like a crotchety old man before he's even properly middle-aged.  :P
Just to kinda' nip this, so far as I'm aware Obama has already came out saying he doesn't want a SCOTUS seat (though finding the quote(s) on that have been a complete sumbitch, what with current events). Something about having a distinct disinterest in what the job entails, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: February 16, 2016, 09:32:03 am »

Where this potentially becomes a problem is that it means you can't have a choice as to whether or not you're in the union.

You just said that a worker who doesn't like a work arrangement with their employer is free to quit.  Why not apply the same standard to a union?  A worker who doesn't like a work arrangement with their union is free to quit.

Personally I think the second statement is a load of crock but that's just because I also think the first statement is a load of crock.  I think someone should believe both or neither.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1342