Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544474 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11805 on: February 15, 2016, 02:41:20 pm »

Yes, all legal regulations on workplaces apply only to union shops and the only reason why a company doesn't fire anyone every moment of the day is because da union is fighting for the worker's rights.

It's not that they don't apply, technically speaking, but when you are required to sign a paper that literally says "YOur employment is at-will and can be terminated at any time" for every non-union job protections against firing somebody for race, religon, sex, or national origin don't mean jack shit, and filing an OSHA or FMLA claim WILL get you fired (I can attest to this from personal experience). Non-union jobs with contracts protecting you from this do exist, and there are workplaces that don't abuse their overwhelming power, but both are extremely rare. In most states >90 of non-union employees effectively have no rights whatsoever.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: February 15, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »

Anyone who hasn't seen a boss abuse their power has never worked in a low paid private sector job.  It's not a constant fact of life but it's a fact of life in the US.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »

And that changes in union organizations? People are shitty, as a general rule.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »

And that changes in union organizations?

Unions create possible consequences for the individual who abuses their position of authority.  So yeah...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:19 pm »

And that changes in union organizations? People are shitty, as a general rule.

If you have a union, you have something called an employement contract. If you have this rare and powerful item, they have to have a valid reason to fire you, and any wrongful termination suit will be very expensive for the company to fight instead of it simply being "You were an at-will hire. Case Dismissed." This makes the power balance far less unequal by default. Not to mention, of course, that if they make it a practice to fire you for OSHA, Workman's Compensation or FMLA claims, they will almost certainly have flimsy enough justifications (that they will have to defend in arbitration or court) to eventually draw the full force of the Federal and State governments down on them, which is often fatal for a company.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:11 pm »

And in every other organization a shitty boss drags down morale and work productivities. At the absolute minimum, it's making employees more likely to quit, incurring additional costs for finding new ones.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: February 15, 2016, 03:23:13 pm »

And in every other organization a shitty boss drags down morale and work productivities. At the absolute minimum, it's making employees more likely to quit, incurring additional costs for finding new ones.

To replace any number of employee requires a single phone call to the local temp service. There is zero cost to the employer. If your productivity drops because of poor morale, unrealistic demands, or medical problems, they simply tell the temp service they require eleven new employees instead of ten. The local manager will probably get a bonus, since you've probably been there long enough to get a ten-cent raise or two, and the new employees will be cheaper. Providing a good workplace with well-motivated employees would probably be much more efficient, but all of today's managers were trained in the "all employees are ungrateful parasites" model and large numbers of minimally paid workers can make up for poor efficiency.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: February 15, 2016, 03:27:14 pm »

And this is why the majority of businesses are over-structured and miserable to work at.  They measure everything that can be measured, lay out minimum performance guidelines, and fire people who consistently don't meet them.  This is how they deal with low morale/productivity, and this is why we have a population that's overwhelmingly medicated just to cope with daily life.  Yeah, people can quit, but that doesn't have an impact unless it's organized.  And most people are well aware that they're just going to start over at another shitty job that will be more of the same, which isn't worth the uprooting of their daily routine and stability until the situation becomes really unbearable.

You can complain about the details of existing implementations all you want, but the fact remains that the U.S. labor market is desperately in need of more organization and collective bargaining by workers.  The last few decades of anti-union propaganda have made us pathetically exploitable.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:29:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 15, 2016, 03:32:03 pm »

Some people even feel like their job sucks and that they dont like their boss.  Strange but true.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: February 15, 2016, 03:47:51 pm »

Also the majority of jobs just... don't matter in the grand scheme of things. They matter to the company's profits, not to the employee or the people who buy the employees' services. Doctors, veterinarians, engineers, lawyers, people creating life critical systems, etc. can all feel like their job matters. The overwhelming majority of jobs that you can find in grocery stores or restaurants are purely as an intermediary to make money for somebody that already has more money than you, and is likely paying you a pittance.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: February 15, 2016, 03:56:52 pm »

The Republican argument for delaying the confirmation of a new Supreme Court Justice until after the election is so specious. "Americans should have the right to consider and vote who becomes the next SCJ." They already considered and they already voted when they re-elected Obama. American's don't suddenly get to decide that they can change the way the Constitution works, and their so-called "constitutional scholars" are anything but if they support delaying confirming a SCJ for a solid year. Way to play to populist bullshit that in fact has zero basis in reality. While their base is angry and gullible enough to buy it, I hope undecideds have had at least basic elementary civics lessons and not buy into the "Yeah, it's our right to choose!" illusion. Because it never has been and it never will be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:49 pm »

The Republican argument for delaying the confirmation of a new Supreme Court Justice until after the election is so specious. "Americans should have the right to consider and vote who becomes the next SCJ." They already considered and they already voted when they re-elected Obama. American's don't suddenly get to decide that they can change the way the Constitution works, and their so-called "constitutional scholars" are anything but if they support delaying confirming a SCJ for a solid year. Way to play to populist bullshit that in fact has zero basis in reality. While their base is angry and gullible enough to buy it, I hope undecideds have had at least basic elementary civics lessons and not buy into the "Yeah, it's our right to choose!" illusion. Because it never has been and it never will be.
did you expect anything else from them?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »

Well it looks like Obama is working on it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11818 on: February 15, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

I hope undecideds have had at least basic elementary civics lessons and not buy into the "Yeah, it's our right to choose!" illusion. Because it never has been and it never will be.
Land of the free

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: February 15, 2016, 05:11:50 pm »

I r8 the shipost 1/8 m8.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1342