Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546724 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11520 on: February 11, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »

Off from work! How'd the stand-down go?

Crazy on-the-edge Fry stuff

...oh. Well.

Looking forward to the thoughtful and in-depth discussion of these events at this Saturday's Republican debate. Or the next Dem debate. Or, you know, at all ever.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: February 11, 2016, 04:06:05 pm »

That is definitely some shit.

If by "some shit" you mean "the system doing exactly what it said it would do".

Clinton represents the party much better then Sanders does.  She is more competative in a general.*  The party actors are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

*if you say she isn't by citing head to head poll before the first attack add against Sanders then we have nothing to talk about.

Yeah, they're doing exactly what's stated in the fine print.  The problem is in typical American fashion, the fine print contradicts the projected spirit of the agreement, and unless we go out of our way to become experts on the agreement by reading that fine print, the spirit of the agreement is all that people are ever taught about voting.  I know that when the general election begins after Clinton is nominated, it's the spirit of that agreement which will be shoved down my throat every minute of every day to try and shame me out of voter apathy.

It's right there in your next statement.  Clinton represents the party.  But I'm not voting for a party.  I'm voting for an individual representative, and that individual is supposed to represent me, not a party.  Or so the bold print leads me to believe.

And the anarchist in me can't help but point out, I never agreed to these fucking terms.  Voting is the only form of negotiation I have with this fine print, and that fine print is written to limit the power of my vote.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:08:26 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: February 11, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »

Pretty sure Clinton didn't have an almost 400 superdelegate lead on Obama back in 2008 before voting actually began, nevermind the fact that a lot of them jumped ship and started going for Obama after NH.

I get that it's supposed to prevent shenenighans like what happened in the 1968 dem convention, but this year probably resembles 2000 more than it does 1968.

On the being competitive, the thing is that we know Clinton is competive, hell she's battle scarred (not literally of course) and hardened, but not a whole lot is certain about Sanders competitiveness or electability.

If it comes down to Sanders vs Trump, all conventional widsom about electability and competitiveness should be thrown out the window.

*if you say she isn't by citing head to head poll before the first republican attack ads against Sanders then we have nothing to talk about.

Probably won't happen until they think he is actually a serious contender and likely nominee.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:16:23 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: February 11, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »

The problem is that some, maybe most, certainly not all Bernie Sanders fans cant acknowledge that other people can have good reasons for their opinions.  Maybe they want to support the candidate that isn't a downticket liability.  Maybe they want to support the candidate whose budget numbers check out.

If it comes down to Sanders vs Trump, all conventional widsom about electability and competitiveness should be thrown out the window.

Not really.  The conventional wisdom would be pretty simple.  Sanders is at the edge of mainstream.  Trump is not mainstream.  Sanders hold some positions that have historically done poorly at the polls.  Trump holds some positions that historically have done extremely poorly at the polls.  The conventional wisdom would be a Sanders advantage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:24:14 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: February 11, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »

That is definitely some shit.

If by "some shit" you mean "the system doing exactly what it said it would do".

Clinton represents the party much better then Sanders does.  She is more competative in a general.*  The party actors are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

*if you say she isn't by citing head to head poll before the first republican attack ads against Sanders then we have nothing to talk about.
How about averages from this January and February?

Clinton vs. Trump: Clinton +4
Sanders vs. Trump: Sanders +7.7

Clinton vs. Cruz: Cruz +1
Sanders vs. Cruz: Sanders +1.5

Clinton vs. Rubio: Rubio +5
Sanders vs. Rubio: Rubio +1.5

Clinton vs. Carson: Clinton +0.4
Sanders vs. Carson: Sanders +0.5

Clinton vs. Bush: Clinton +2.4
Sanders vs. Bush: Sanders +3.0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:23 pm »

FD, margins?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: February 11, 2016, 04:19:30 pm »

Hey guys, someone remind me real quick.  Is time still linear?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: February 11, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »

The problem is that some, maybe most, certainly not all Bernie Sanders fans cant acknowledge that other people can have good reasons for their opinions.  Maybe they want to support the candidate that isn't a downticket liability.  Maybe they want to support the candidate whose budget numbers check out.

FIFY

While I like Sanders and have my dislikes on Clinton, I haven't solidly decided for one or the other. So, I'd be more in the undecided category rather than a bernie fan, just saying.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »

Hey guys, someone remind me real quick.  Is time still linear?
Huh?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »

Heard a radio ad for some guy running for some political position in Texas. Guy was basically running on a Trump platform. Against political correctness, experience as a businessman, against terrorism and "terrorist refugees" and wanting to increase border security and "get action back into politics".

Trumpism is spreading.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »

When are these attack ads you're talking about aired? Because if it's recent enough to post-date polls from last week, you're literally arguing "Sanders has been a preferable candidate to Clinton in head-to-head polls against the Republican field for the whole campaign, but that's definitely changed because of these new attack ads, even though no new poll results have been released!"

FD, margins?
Most of them are ~3.0 points MoE.

Not that that's very relevant in this sort of comparative head-to-head, especially given that Sanders has >1 avg. MoE over Clinton versus each of the likely Republican nominees.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:14 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »

And the anarchist in me can't help but point out, I never agreed to these fucking terms.  Voting is the only form of negotiation I have with this fine print, and that fine print is written to limit the power of my vote.
You can still go ad start your own party.

*breaks down laughing*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:11 pm »

The problem is that Bernie Sanders fans cant acknowledge that other people can have good reasons for their opinions.  Maybe they want to support the candidate that isn't a downticket liability.  Maybe they want to support the candidate whose budget numbers check out.

My issue here has nothing to do with other people's opinions, or my reasons for supporting Sanders.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

Yes, I was generalizing from a specific thing to the group.  It was wrong.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1342