Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547711 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11415 on: February 10, 2016, 08:50:01 am »

Sweet!  That's one.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:07 am »

I don't think I've ever intentionally insulted you, but if I did by accident, sorry maniac.
Pretty much, except I don't think we've really spoken.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: February 10, 2016, 09:03:57 am »

Trump thinks so highly of his imagined ability to make other countries do what he wants: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/trump-kim-jong-un-219068 :P

No idea if we've ever attempted to assassinate or otherwise forcibly remove a NK leader (besides the Korean War). Not that we haven't done or attempted to for some places in Latin America.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:06:56 am by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:10 am »

mainiac: I guess what you're seeing is that the left has become its own sort of 'establishment' that punishes those deviating too far from its standards - i.e. the centrist left-wingers - just like the establishment proper punishes those who deviate too far from its standards.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:14 am »

Pretty much, except I don't think we've really spoken.

Nor do I.  You just sorta appeared a few weeks back?  Um, you seem alright I guess?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: February 10, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »

SO THE RUNDOWN ON THE GOP.

Rubio's DOMO ARIGATO moment may have ruined him in the endorsement game, a sub-game with absolutely crucial importance to any candidate wishing for establishment support. He managed to move a lot of support behind him in the aftermath of Iowa, but with the Debate mistake and his poor showing in New Hampshire, he's in a bad place. To win, he'll need to avoid any mistakes and keep pushing his line, but any good victories would give him a lot more breathing room.

Trump has won New Hampshire! The state pundits called "more cynical" and "more moderate" voted for a candidate even Iowa couldn't bring itself to support. Will this be the end of New Hampshire's First-in-the-nation primary? Only time will tell, but the fallout has only just started.

And the surprise number two is Jo-jo-jo-jo-oooohn... Kasich? That's right. The moderate man for Ohio is now in position to last a lot longer in this field. He won't win South Carolina, but he is setting up in the Midwest, and he will definitely win Ohio, so even if he still has no chance he has the ability to make people remember that he exists.

Meanwhile Jeb Bush is still in it (if not to win it), while Christie probably is not. Bush will likely push into his rivals, attacking Kasich as insufficiently conservative and Rubio, who seemed prepared to eclipse Bush as the main establishment, as insufficiently experienced. Is he right? Maybe, but its an open question whether or not he can turn the tide, or push back Trump even if he does. Still, he looks better today then before, if only because of the weakening of Rubio.

All this points to a lot of power in the populist side of the race, which is now basically a one-on-one between Trump and Cruz. I can say with certainty that when these two are in the room, almost every republican politician hates at least ONE of them (Hate Cruz for being an ass in Congress, hate Trump for, Trump). I don't know what to expect in this race, but I can say it will be interesting. Overall, the fact that there are still two left on this side is a positive sign for Establishment republicans, because with the establishment candidates divided, Trump could potentially lock down support if not for Cruz at his heels.

NINJA-EDIT: to think, people made fun for months because this was supposed to be a "Dynastic election", between the Bushes and the Clintons; a sign of the complete COLLAPSE of representative democracy in the United States. I don't think I've heard anyone admitting they were wrong :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:08:13 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: February 10, 2016, 12:31:35 pm »

And the surprise number two is Jo-jo-jo-jo-oooohn... Kasich? That's right. The moderate man for Ohio is now in position to last a lot longer in this field. He won't win South Carolina, but he is setting up in the Midwest, and he will definitely win Ohio, so even if he still has no chance he has the ability to make people remember that he exists.

Maybe he is banking on a brokered convention.  If Kasich can in three or four states he would be a plausible nominee in such a situation.  His governorship of Ohio gives him a great electability argument when compared to Trump, Cruz and Bush.  Rubio is the one who can best contest the role as the electable candidate but it's possible that Rubio goes nowhere.  It's a pretty longshot strategy but a brokered convention has never been more likely.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: February 10, 2016, 12:58:33 pm »

Buzz is that Chris Christie is going to fold.

He's cancelled an event in SC, and apparently he wasn't going to qualify for the next debate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: February 10, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »

Dropping in to say that Maniac gets a lot of personal shit thrown at him and hardly ever reciprocates with personal attacks (Even if I don't personally like him).

Also holy shit the Trump was not Stumped by losing Iowa
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:24 pm »

If you took all the times that people insulted me for expressing an opinion, it would be longer then most of the threads in this forum.  No one has once apologized to me for this.

I'm sorry if any of my interactions with you have come across as insulting.  I try my best to keep personal attacks out of everything, but I'm sure I've said stuff that could be interpreted that way in the past*.  We've been at odds a lot.

I also don't think your stance on Hillary makes you corrupt or anything like that.  I don't even think you've expressed yourself as a hardline supporter of hers.  I just think you get labeled as such, because you always jump in to disagree with people's specific stances against her.  And I like the information and perspective you bring when you do this, even if we clearly build different bigger pictures in our minds from those details.  Overall, I do find you genuine and well-meaning.

NINJA-EDIT: to think, people made fun for months because this was supposed to be a "Dynastic election", between the Bushes and the Clintons; a sign of the complete COLLAPSE of representative democracy in the United States. I don't think I've heard anyone admitting they were wrong :P

I wouldn't expect that until the general election candidates are actually confirmed.

Dropping in to say that Maniac gets a lot of personal shit thrown at him and hardly ever reciprocates with personal attacks (Even if I don't personally like him).

He doesn't.  But he does conduct himself in a manner that's generally abrasive, in ways that I've tried to explain to him in the past.  And I think he's self-aware about it now to point where he kind of runs with the character in a semi-ironic fashion...

*Edit - typo
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:23:04 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: February 10, 2016, 02:01:12 pm »

If you are going to be an asshole you might as well try and be the best asshole you can be.  This forum is my origin story.  40 years from now I will be out there completing Trump's work.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: February 10, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »

Don't worry maniac, I still lurv you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: February 10, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »

Buzz is that Chris Christie is going to fold.

He's cancelled an event in SC, and apparently he wasn't going to qualify for the next debate.

Christie is the only politician I've experienced an intense personal loathing towards in recent memory, so it actually makes me very happy to see him drop out (even though I didn't think he could get the nomination). Is it weird that he bothers me a lot more than Trump?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: February 10, 2016, 02:32:06 pm »

I know we've had our share of disagreements, mainiac, but I never intended to attack you in place of your positions and I apologize if it came off that way--I'm assuming the same is true in reverse.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11429 on: February 10, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »

Ban this sick lovefest
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1342