Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549152 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8745 on: December 25, 2015, 02:33:49 pm »

See my prior quip about neoteny for my actual position on this matter.

arguing about the acceptability of such consequences it would invariably produce is just a diversion.

nice handwave by the way.

shadow: like so many, you are misconstruing my argument to be pro pedophilic contact.  I was simply pointing out logical double standards. personally, i see pedophilia as an inevitable consequence of breeding for neoteny in humans. if society does not like the consequences, it needs to take corrective  action at the root cause-- selecting mates with ever increasing juvenile features. not blaming the messenger.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: December 25, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »

okay, so i disagree with ancient greece's position on the matter

this happens a lot, so i'm not sure what revelation you're hoping to convey

is it conceivable that one day my views will be seen as antiquated and bigoted? i mean, sure, i don't consider it particularly likely, and i have what i think are very good reasons for holding them, but so has everyone ever and i don't think i'm special in this regard, but that's not really good enough to get me to change them

where's the double standard? the same standard of "can it give consent?" applies in both cases, it's just that the negative response is implicit with children and not with adults of the same gender/sex/whatever-you-consider-the-important-descriptor-for-determining-the-homo-prefix (though particular examples can obviously have an answer of "No, your partner cannot consent", they're not the general case)

the root cause and what should be done from the perspective of fixing it is kind of entirely beside the point, isn't it?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: December 25, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »

What the red-white-and-blue fuck did this thread turn into??  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: December 25, 2015, 02:42:38 pm »

trump's inner monologue regarding his daughter, i guess? maybe it depends on how retroactively his "if she wasn't my daughter, i'd date her" comment was

this post brought to you by my attempts to be on topic
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: December 25, 2015, 02:42:51 pm »

What the red-white-and-blue fuck did this thread turn into??  :o
... Now that I think of this, it definitely isn't Ameripol.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: December 25, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

act one: whispers goes into text flood mode over pedophiles.

act two: I attempt to point out how it is a nonsequitor to expect pedophiles to live lives of abstinence. Get flamed for it. Point out parallels with homosexuality being demonized in the past. Get flamed some more.

on the same page now?

edit: TRUMP, pro neoteny 2016. (selecting for the pedos of tomorrow, TODAY!)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:51:32 pm by wierd »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: December 25, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »

Lots of people live lives of abstinence.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: December 25, 2015, 02:52:43 pm »

i do, but only because i have no sexual impulse, i am not so arrogant as to assert my lifestyle should be applied to everyone else.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: December 25, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »

Act 1: treat people as criminals before they commit crimes.  Get accused of advocating thoughtcrime
Act 2: try and depict not doing something as doing something.  Get accused of bad logic.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: December 25, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »

act two: I attempt to point out how it is a nonsequitor to expect pedophiles to live lives of abstinence.
I guess you communicated this rather poorly: In context it looked like you were claiming that pedophiles will inevitably start fucking children and thus should be treated as criminals from the start, not that simply preaching abstinence is not a viable strategy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: December 25, 2015, 02:55:47 pm »

Act 1: treat people as criminals before they commit crimes.  Get accused of advocating thoughtcrime
Act 2: try and depict not doing something as doing something.  Get accused of bad logic.

nice strawman there.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: December 25, 2015, 02:58:03 pm »

act two: I attempt to point out how it is a nonsequitor to expect pedophiles to live lives of abstinence.
I guess you communicated this rather poorly: In context it looked like you were claiming that pedophiles will inevitably start fucking children and thus should be treated as criminals from the start, not that simply preaching abstinence is not a viable strategy.

i often fail to properly convey my intent. i admit this failing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: December 25, 2015, 02:59:06 pm »

i'm taking it to PM to stop shitting up the thread, might be a good idea for anyone who wants to argue the point

we've been off the rails for a while now and the thread's probably gonna wind up getting a pruning if things have gotten as heated as people seem to feel they have (i somehow managed to completely miss raised emotions earlier but now that we've got people trying to sum things up in as sarcastic and blatantly biased way as possible, an act of which this very sentence is an example, that's starting to come through)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: December 25, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »

shadow: like so many, you are misconstruing my argument to be pro pedophilic contact.

I'm not. You wrote "Are homosexuals bad people if they never "sin against nature?"" To answer that question is to accept your premise on which that question is based ('if they "sin against nature"'). I reject that premise entirely - they cannot "sin against nature" because there is no such thing.

As for selecting for neoteny, that's been going on for uncountable years. The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: December 25, 2015, 03:10:19 pm »

what i am trying to tell you is that it was a rhetorical argument.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1342