Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546335 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7830 on: December 11, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »

But are still people who can't even afford that.

$1.25 a day is extreme poverty for a household.  Chlorination costs $0.10 a month for a household.  That's not nothing but it's affordable for the overwhelming majority of even people in extreme poverty.

Mainiac even cited some (unsourced) numbers.

That's because I'm cribbing from my class notes and didn't include citations in there.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »

$1.25 a day is extreme poverty for a household.  Chlorination costs $0.10 a month for a household.
And the watersource itself?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:40 pm »

Anything within applicable transit distance from the settlement. Can be unimproved well, transient surface water supply, or perminent surface water supply.  Can be unimproved municipal or state waterwork project.

That is a nonsequitor. It does not matter.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: December 11, 2015, 04:38:03 pm »

His point is that clean water isn't expensive. People just don't like the taste of chlorine.

... is that safe? I thought it wasn't safe to drink chlorinated water. You wouldn't think it would be, what with having chlorine in it and all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: December 11, 2015, 04:39:58 pm »

My only issue with the whole argument of "third world can't afford water" is that there's a gross misunderstanding of what's even a third world country anymore. It might be easier to stop using the term for countries and instead use it for cities.

I dont follow.

His point is that clean water isn't expensive. People just don't like the taste of chlorine.
... is that safe? I thought it wasn't safe to drink chlorinated water. You wouldn't think it would be, what with having chlorine in it and all.

The water in your tap contains chlorine.  The EPA requires it.  Too much chlorine would be unhealthy but the benefits of no bacteria is a big effing deal.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: December 11, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

Trace quantities of chlorine and chloramine are significantly less dangerous to public health than the biproducts of living microoganisms, or worse yet, still living microorganisms.

Boiling kills microbes, but leaves their biproducts. Chlorine is a reactive halide. It destroys many of the toxic compounds produced by microbes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: December 11, 2015, 04:50:14 pm »

My only issue with the whole argument of "third world can't afford water" is that there's a gross misunderstanding of what's even a third world country anymore. It might be easier to stop using the term for countries and instead use it for cities.

I dont follow.

There's a bit of a bias towards painting the entirety of Africa sans South Africa as "third world countries" despite the fact that some countries in Africa have steadily improving economies. For example, this does not look like the economic plan for a country that struggles to provide water to its residents.

It's still possible to have areas with good access to clean water while at the same time having desperately poor areas that don't have good access to clean water.

If nobody can really agree or understand what a third world country is, then how can we apply it for cities?

'Third World' used to mean undeveloped and/or poor countries, mostly Africa and parts of Asia, but those third world countries are now labelled developing, a few have attained developed status already.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: December 11, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

holy shit this is a great tangent

keep going, i'll make popcorn
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: December 11, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »

Third World actually meant not aligned with either the US or Soviet Union.

The term Third World arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World. This terminology provided a way of broadly categorizing the nations of the Earth into three groups based on social, political, cultural and economic divisions. The Third World was normally seen to include many countries with colonial pasts in Africa, Latin America, Oceania and Asia. It was also sometimes taken as synonymous with countries in the Non-Aligned Movement. In the so-called dependency theory of thinkers like Raul Prebisch, Walter Rodney, Theotonio dos Santos, and Andre Gunder Frank, the Third World has also been connected to the world economic division as "periphery" countries in the world system that is dominated by the "core" countries.[1]
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: December 11, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »

I would rather discuss the oil situation, personally.

I tire of "He said, she said!" arguments.

IMO, the best solution at this point is to re-open the virtual reality thread, since the painful bowel obstruction that caused its closure has been violently vented and cleared up here.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:55:01 pm by wierd »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: December 11, 2015, 04:54:29 pm »

Anything within applicable transit distance from the settlement. Can be unimproved well, transient surface water supply, or perminent surface water supply.  Can be unimproved municipal or state waterwork project.
Not all "applicable transit distances" are equal, though. If it takes every household an 8-hour round trip to get enough water for the day, then there is a serious cost in time, whether it be less work getting done or the children being forced to skip school. Sorry for not making it clear earlier, but this is what I was getting at; people who have to travel for hours to obtain water every day, people who don't have easy access to clean water, can't afford to throw around money for the latest shiny VR gadget.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: December 11, 2015, 04:56:35 pm »

I know 'Third World' basically meant 'everybody else', but I thought it also meant the really poor countries.

IMO, the best solution at this point is to re-open the virtual reality thread, since the painful bowel obstruction that caused its closure has been violently vented and cleared up here.

The VR thread got closed because of an argument over clean water availability? Wut?

I didn't know we had a VR thread.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: December 11, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »

Misconception:  Trip is made daily.

Reality-- Trip is made twice weekly, on average, from what I understand from my Laosian ethnic relative. (She is a Laosian immigrant, originally native to such a village.)  Typically, because hauling water is both labor intensive and exhausting, very large pots are hauled, and water stockpiled for several days use.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: December 11, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »

I know 'Third World' basically meant 'everybody else', but I thought it also meant the really poor countries.

The VR thread got closed because of an argument over clean water availability? Wut?

Yes.

Re: Virtual-Reality will pass Poland in 2030
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2015, 08:19:58 am »

Yeah I'm just going to lock the thread before the reading comprehension failure make me lose any more faith in humanity.

The argument about water was the conversational tangent at hand.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: December 11, 2015, 04:59:21 pm »

Misconception:  Trip is made daily.

Reality-- Trip is made twice weekly, on average, from what I understand from my Laosian ethnic relative. (She is a Laosian immigrant, originally native to such a village.)  Typically, because hauling water is both labor intensive and exhausting, very large pots are hauled, and water stockpiled for several days use.

The point is still there, if it takes 8 hours to get a week or so supply of water, it's still labor intensive and not easy access.

Yes.

Re: Virtual-Reality will pass Poland in 2030
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2015, 08:19:58 am »

Yeah I'm just going to lock the thread before the reading comprehension failure make me lose any more faith in humanity.

The argument about water was the conversational tangent at hand.

Oh THAT thread.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:02:02 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1342