Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546374 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7800 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »

Then put Trump in office and see how much the GOP crashes and burns then. GOP-controlled Presidency, GOP-controlled Congress.

Burn the world! Burn it with conservative fire!

Some of us have to live in this country, and if Trump fucks with international trade (or starts new wars - say, with China or Russia) it'll affect even more people.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

You're fine on most issues, but discussing Hillary seems to be your berserk snide button.

On the contrary, I generally go berserk on people for all sorts of reasons.  Like when people start talking about how Germany "bailed out" greece.  Or if someone calls the 2007-2009 bailouts a giveaway to the banks.  Or more recently in a different thread when someone started acting like complete lack of water rather then bacterial contamination of unimproved water sources was a bigger problem in the 3rd world.

It's a pretty simple formula that gets me to start biting on the old shield, when people start saying something that appeals to populist "trust your gut" logic and ignoring the broad context, I see a problem.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: December 11, 2015, 02:57:22 pm »

Never change, election megathread.

fakeEdit:

Again?!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: December 11, 2015, 02:57:38 pm »

Perot of course.

I was alive and watching the debates when that election year was upon us.
Fun fact: he railed against "voodoo economics" while brandishing a "genuine voodoo stick."
Right, and the question was "would a Trump/Carson 3rd party break the GOP?"
Perot seems like an apt analogy, other than for the fact that Perot didn't start off his run in the GOP. But he peeled off a fair number of GOP voters.

And man, now that I think of it, Carson and Admiral Stockdale...they both mumble, they're both incoherent...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »

You're fine on most issues, but discussing Hillary seems to be your berserk snide button.

On the contrary, I generally go berserk on people for all sorts of reasons.  Like when people start talking about how Germany "bailed out" greece.  Or if someone calls the 2007-2009 bailouts a giveaway to the banks.  Or more recently in a different thread when someone started acting like complete lack of water rather then bacterial contamination of unimproved water sources was a bigger problem in the 3rd world.

It's a pretty simple formula that gets me to start biting on the old shield, when people start saying something that appeals to populist "trust your gut" logic and ignoring the broad context, I see a problem.

So, you are acknowledging the confirmation bias angle?

(seriously, the reason you explode, is because those other views are so radically divergent from what you have concluded, internally, as being the truth. That is confirmation bias in action.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: December 11, 2015, 03:08:28 pm »

Perot of course.

I was alive and watching the debates when that election year was upon us.
Fun fact: he railed against "voodoo economics" while brandishing a "genuine voodoo stick."
Right, and the question was "would a Trump/Carson 3rd party break the GOP?"
Perot seems like an apt analogy, other than for the fact that Perot didn't start off his run in the GOP. But he peeled off a fair number of GOP voters.

And man, now that I think of it, Carson and Admiral Stockdale...they both mumble, they're both incoherent...

What I've heard is that Stockdale (who btw died from Alzheimer's) appeared to be not all there (and may have actually been showing early signs of Alzheimer's), but that's not the case with Carson, he comes off as ignorant on issues and having no clue what he's talking about.

Edit: I too was alive then, but I was a kid then and didn't pay attention to the politics stuff then.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:12:01 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: December 11, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »

I'd say that qualifies as "not all there".

Stockdale, FWIW, wasn't dumb. He did have a hearing aid, but he commented that his infamous opening statement at the VP debate of "Who am I? Why am I here?" was meant as a rhetorical device to acknowledge his lack of recgonition among the general population. He did die of Alzheimer's, but that was 13 years later.

Carson....I dunno, I wouldn't be half surprised to find out later that the guy has early-stage dementia. Not just for what he says, but how he says it. His delivery always makes me think he's baked to the gills.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: December 11, 2015, 03:14:46 pm »

I was 12, and also a kid. I paid attention, because my big ears often resulted in my being likened to perot, so I lampooned him frequently.

His criticism of the then prevalent "reaganomics" was apt, but his proposed replacement was not realistically workable, and he presented himself as a bufoon.

The voodoo stick was icing on the cake.

Oh, how the times have changes-- we have another bafoon all right... but this time, instead of snickers and giggles, we have people embracing going full retard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: December 11, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »

Didn't Perot make some weird-ass comment about "Nobody wants to talk about the deficit. It's like the crazy aunt in the attic"?

Which always made me wonder if anybody ever checked Ross Perot's attic.  ???

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: December 11, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »

So, you are acknowledging the confirmation bias angle?

No?  Although you certainly seem to be eager to find evidence that supports your statement.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: December 11, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »

I'm two years younger than you are Wierd. I might have watched the debates, but I don't remember them. i didn't start really becoming interested in watching politics until the 2000 election.

Of course though, captioning wasn't as consistent (or as good quality at times) back then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:40 pm »

Mainiac-- I acknowledge that I have confirmation biases, and being mindful of this fact, welcome having them pointed out.

You however, seem to view denial as an appropriate solution. That concerns me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: December 11, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

In other news....price is oil is down to $35/barrel and the Dow fell 300pts today. While cheap oil is kinda yay, it's getting to the point where it's also kinda concerning. Smaller oil producers in the US are starting to go bankrupt, and a number of junk bonds tied to oil futures are collapsing.

Anyone think the economy could actually become a campaign issue again, instead of just ZOMGTERRORISM?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: December 11, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »

On a more curious side-angle to that--

A repressed petroleum industry is less able to improve or expand oil production, resulting in collapse if those industries attempt it. Once their slushfunds are exhausted, they wont be nearly as profitable, even WITH heavy subsidies.  At that time, alternative energy sources will look significantly more attractive.

There are of course, other very negative consequences that are obvious.

I find this hilariously funny (in a nior humor kind of way), because this is the consequence of OPEC being dissolved, essentially.  This flooded the international market with inexpensive crude oil forcing prices down.  I find it funny that globalism is biting big business right where it hurts the most, for a change.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:48:49 pm by wierd »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: December 11, 2015, 03:47:31 pm »

"low oil prices are making alternative energy more attractive"

Wait, what?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1342