Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547072 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7710 on: December 10, 2015, 06:48:59 pm »

Bernie's too old and too white? Heck if I know.
I didn't notice how old Sanders is.

Assuming Wikipedia's stats are true, then he's 74 now. Hypothetically, let's say he won the election in 2016, so he'd be 75 then. After one term he'd be ~79, and if he won a second term he'd be ~84 by the time he's done.

William Harrison's early death when he was 68 after only 32 days in office due to complications from pneumonia comes to my mind.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: December 10, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »

And ran against Obama in 2008, along with a bit of dog-whistling from her campaign. I don't know that anyone thinks Hillary and Obama are good friends. Frenemies, perhaps.
At The Office
"Hey, Clinton, I'm going down to the canteen. Want me to grab you a wrap?"
"You stood in my way and prevailed, but this is merely a temporary setback. Your time draws to a close. I serve under you merely as a stepping block to my inevitable ascension.
"So that's a tuna mayo wrap, right?"
"From your ashes I will rise to new heights. Tuna is acceptable. Dismissed"

+1. This is the most correct use of papyrus.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: December 10, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

Assuming Wikipedia's stats are true, then he's 74 now. Hypothetically, let's say he won the election in 2016, so he'd be 75 then. After one term he'd be ~79, and if he won a second term he'd be ~84 by the time he's done.

William Harrison's early death when he was 68 after only 32 days in office due to complications from pneumonia comes to my mind.
Yeah, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who eats bean sprouts and tofu. He'll be fine. (But yeah, that's a valid concern. Then again, Hill's not exactly a spring chicken. She'll be 69 next year.)
Pseudo-EDIT: Oh. Dear. God. Her birthday is the same as mine. >_<

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: December 10, 2015, 07:03:54 pm »

That was over a century and a half ago, when pneumonia could easily kill you. I don't know if Sanders has released his medical files or not though.

Better examples would be FDR (stroke, and probably overwork, seriously, three terms and going into a fourth) and Warren Harding (heart attack).

Really though, neither Hillary or Sanders are young by any particular measure.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:06:03 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: December 10, 2015, 07:28:51 pm »

Pneumonia actually kills a large number of people who are hospitalized with it. I've had it more than once, so it's nice to know that if life doesn't catch me with something else, that's probably what'll do me in.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: December 10, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »

It should be noted that the majority of pneumonia deaths are brought on by influenza, because people don't get their goddamn flu shots.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: December 10, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »

That was over a century and a half ago, when pneumonia could easily kill you. I don't know if Sanders has released his medical files or not though.

Better examples would be FDR (stroke, and probably overwork, seriously, three terms and going into a fourth) and Warren Harding (heart attack).

Really though, neither Hillary or Sanders are young by any particular measure.

Yeah, Harrison just sprung to my mind first since he's in the timespan which my current college history class covers, so I'm more familiar with Harrison as an example of "old president dies in office", than I am with the more recent 1900s presidents and any of those examples of "old presidents who die in office" which may be included.

Medical technology is better now than early years, yeah, but I'd still be hesitant to elect older candidates to office. Being president is stressful, so I've heard, and the older one gets the more likely one is of spontaneous health issues which could really get in the way of doing president stuff.

But then again I suppose there's always some risk of things going wrong for a president, what with possible assassination and stuff.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:51 pm »

It's important to remember that voting blocs are definitely not based upon collective reasonable assessment of the candidates, and we shouldn't act like they are.

People loooooove to act like they are smarter then the average voters but voting blocks make sense. Voters have political ideologies.  They support candidates that are sympathetic to that ideology.  If they punish the candidates for a deviation, the self appointed philosopher kings of the internet will call them kneejerk idiots.  If they tolerate a deviation because it is acceptable within the complete context of the person, the self appointed philosopher kings of the internet will call them ignorant and irrational.

Just like racism and sexism, political loyalty is a flaw in thinking that is always found in other people.  Everyone judges them self to be immune to such flaws.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: December 10, 2015, 08:31:03 pm »

Not sure if rejecting-your-reality-and-substituting-our-own is an ideology, or a form of mental illness... :-\
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:00 pm »

looks like its not actually that hard to end homelessness you just have to literally give them a home and its solved! turns out poor people are not some stereotyped lazy bums who will just off the government and republicans are just idiots. who would ever have guess that the slippery slope fallacy and strawmaning were wrong! turns out poor people are people to! ::)

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »

That's more than a little strawmanning yourself, there. The general Republican philosophy would be that helping the homeless is best done through private organizations, not federal ones. That article you posted specifically notes a private organization, funded through a religious one as doing a large part of the groundwork and shoving towards progress.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: December 10, 2015, 09:20:45 pm »

It's important to remember that voting blocs are definitely not based upon collective reasonable assessment of the candidates, and we shouldn't act like they are.

People loooooove to act like they are smarter then the average voters but voting blocks make sense. Voters have political ideologies.  They support candidates that are sympathetic to that ideology.  If they punish the candidates for a deviation, the self appointed philosopher kings of the internet will call them kneejerk idiots.  If they tolerate a deviation because it is acceptable within the complete context of the person, the self appointed philosopher kings of the internet will call them ignorant and irrational.

Just like racism and sexism, political loyalty is a flaw in thinking that is always found in other people.  Everyone judges them self to be immune to such flaws.
Oh physician, heal thyself...  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:16 pm »

That's more than a little strawmanning yourself, there. The general Republican philosophy would be that helping the homeless is best done through private organizations, not federal ones.
While that may theoretically be true, in practice well-off people tend to think of the poor as stereotyped lazy bums until proven otherwise. There's certainly not a complete lack of conservatives friendly to the poor, but I thiiiiink (citation needed) most Republican politicians either are actively hostile or indifferent to the poor or have the 'a rising tide lifts all boats' mindset.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: December 10, 2015, 09:25:05 pm »

That's more than a little strawmanning yourself, there. The general Republican philosophy would be that helping the homeless is best done through private organizations, not federal ones.
While that may theoretically be true, in practice well-off people tend to think of the poor as stereotyped lazy bums until proven otherwise. There's certainly not a complete lack of conservatives friendly to the poor, but I thiiiiink (citation needed) most Republican politicians either are actively hostile or indifferent to the poor or have the 'a rising tide lifts all boats' mindset.

Except the boats with holes in them ;)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: December 10, 2015, 11:28:21 pm »

Which makes you wonder why we keep building boats with holes in them.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1342