Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545206 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7470 on: December 08, 2015, 02:11:02 pm »

Pfft, doesn't sound very reassuring, then again (and you guys may have figured it out by now), I'm not a believer and would probably consider myself atheist.

Also, I was being sarcastic, maybe I need to boldify the sarcastic tags.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: December 08, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »

Also, I was being sarcastic, maybe I need to boldify the sarcastic tags.
i might've just misinterpreted them, in which case my bad

i thought the sarcasm was more "this is how absurd the things he's saying are" and less "this is how absurdly the things he's saying can be misinterpreted"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: December 08, 2015, 02:47:40 pm »

I wonder how many "So you think God is on the side of the terrorists? Traitor." tweets Rubio has gotten since saying that.

Quote from: that politico article
But Cruz, who passes for an intellectual in the Republican field, used his words thoughtfully. “If I am elected president,” he said, “I will direct the Department of Defense to destroy ISIS.”

I guess Cruz thinks if we really wanted to beat ISIS we could have done it in 21 days, like the Iraq War. (Forgetting all the land mines ISIS has planted, and what happens after "mission accomplished")

That or he wants to carpet bomb (or nuke) them, killing everyone remaining in the cities they're occupying, which would enrage a ton of people across the middle east (and the rest of the world) ...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:12 pm »

That or he wants to carpet bomb (or nuke) them, killing everyone remaining in the cities they're occupying, which would enrage a ton of people across the middle east (and the rest of the world) ...

Why do you speculate that, even sarcastically?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: December 08, 2015, 03:03:34 pm »

Cruz might not actually intend to use nukes on ISIS and was just pandering to those that think it's a sound strategy, but the rhetoric is still a bit concerning.

Also, any general or advisor that thinks carpet bombing is a viable strategy in an era of precision bombing should be fired. :P

Because he's (as in Cruz) said it before?

With the rhetoric being thrown around, it's hard to tell what's an actual plan they intend to carry out vs chestbeating rhetoric.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: December 08, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

Carpet bombing doesn't have a great track record. Nixon's Cambodian bombing campaign can attest to that. It basically drove 100,000's of people to the Khmer Rouge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: December 08, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »

Yeah, presumably speculating such just because it's something of a common line of rhetoric amongst conservatives (in particular, anyway). Many of the republican et al politicians are on record saying something along such lines. Presumably cruz has said it fairly explicitly, I'unno. Haven't paid much attention to the guy.

And hey, carpet bombing is still a perfectly viable strategy if you're trying to kill civilians and destroy infrastructure, and you better believe there's support for that in the US if the target's the middle east. Thankfully not a majority, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: December 08, 2015, 03:10:04 pm »

He said it really recently, actually.
“If I am elected president, we will utterly destroy ISIS," the Texas senator and Republican presidential candidate told reporters. "We won’t weaken them. We won’t degrade them. We will utterly destroy them. We will carpet bomb them into oblivion. We will  arm the Kurds. We will do everything necessary so that every militant on the face of the earth will know if you go and join ISIS, if you wage jihad and declare war on America, you are signing your death warrant.”

Edit:
According to these guys, he said:
We will utterly destroy ISIS. We will carpet bomb them into oblivion. I don’t know if sand can glow in the dark, but we’re going to find out. And we are going to make abundantly clear to any militant on the face of the planet, if you wage jihad against the United States of America and try to murder innocent Americans, you are signing your death warrant.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:14:20 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: December 08, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »

Didn't we just go through this whole line of discussion like 4-5 pages ago?  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: December 08, 2015, 03:30:03 pm »

Th'bombing quote definitely came up fairly recently, at least.

E: In other news, Graham apparently just tore into Trump with a bit of a vengeance. I have to admit, calling him "ISIL man of the year" is a pretty good one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:35:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: December 08, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »

"Speculate"?

Quote from: Cruz
We will carpet bomb them into oblivion. I don't know if sand can glow in the dark, but we're going to find out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7482 on: December 08, 2015, 03:44:32 pm »

Trump's Plan: Enegerize the idiot voter in order to get them in the polling place. He knows that he can't possibly win, but he can shift the electorate so that republicans in general win big in the congress.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: December 08, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »

Trump's Plan: Enegerize the idiot voter in order to get them in the polling place. He knows that he can't possibly win, but he can shift the electorate so that republicans in general win big in the congress.
honestly that seems even less plausible than the deep cover liberal theory somehow
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1342