Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545404 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7455 on: December 08, 2015, 11:24:26 am »

I'd also like to see a breakdown of gun ownership, crime specifically, and violent crime in general, but no two places keep statistics the same way.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: December 08, 2015, 11:31:17 am »

It's kind of funny (in the strange sense, not the amusing one) that they specifically call out the drug trade as a reason for South and Central America having the levels it does, but no such explanation is ever accepted (and seldom offered) for the US, despite a very high percentage of US gun deaths being related to the narcotics trade - something like 80% of homicides in Toledo this year were drug or gang (the latter usually is related to the former, as fights between gangs are usually over traffic and sale of guns, drugs and sometimes people) related.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: December 08, 2015, 11:37:55 am »

The GBD compare thing doesn't seem to have a category for gun deaths specifically, so, I wonder how they got their data.

It's kind of funny (in the strange sense, not the amusing one) that they specifically call out the drug trade as a reason for South and Central America having the levels it does, but no such explanation is ever accepted (and seldom offered) for the US, despite a very high percentage of US gun deaths being related to the narcotics trade - something like 80% of homicides in Toledo this year were drug or gang (the latter usually is related to the former, as fights between gangs are usually over traffic and sale of guns, drugs and sometimes people) related.

Probably because it's more complex than that, or it's a form of self-denial.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: December 08, 2015, 11:51:15 am »

So, you're saying that if he was part of the republican team and he does the demogoguery rhetoric, it wouldn't be dangerous?

I'm saying they wouldn't call him dangerous.  I dont really consider the man important enough to have an opinion on whether he is actually dangerous or not yet.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: December 08, 2015, 11:59:23 am »

The GBD compare thing doesn't seem to have a category for gun deaths specifically, so, I wonder how they got their data.

It does. You have to use "Advanced settings" and set the display level to "4" to see it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:27 pm »

Um, wtf Rubio?

"Marco Rubio said terrorism is part of God’s plan. “What we may interpret as bad, and most certainly is in the case of Paris or 9/11, even that is part of a broader plan for the universe and for our lives that we are just not going to know the answer to. God’s ways are not our ways.”"

From http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/they-all-have-an-answer-for-terror-take-their-word-for-it-216508

Then I guess we'd better start praying to god and sacrificing lambs and possibly virgins to god to get him to stop. /sarcasm Or perhaps he means we should stop fighting terror and let god the invisible intangible rainbow lovecraftian unicorn that shits invisible rainbows do whatever he/she/it wants, since that sounds like what Rubio is saying. /sarcasm
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:13:04 pm by smjjames »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: December 08, 2015, 01:25:41 pm »

Dick joins the battle!

Cheney 2016!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: December 08, 2015, 01:27:59 pm »

Maybe it's an elaborate mindfuck with ISIS. Since they're trying to goad us into fulfilling Islamic apocalyptic prophecy and bring about the final battle between the forces of ad-Dajjal and The Faithful, maybe Rubio is saying "Oh yeah? Well your attacks are fulfilling OUR apocalyptic prophecies! Take that, rival-Abrahamic-religion-with-a-shared-backstory!"

....or maybe he's just trying to ride the Jesus Train to Electionville. Probably the latter.

And when Dick Cheney criticizes you for being too much of an asshole, you know you've gone too far.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: December 08, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »

Um, wtf Rubio?[snip]
Eh, signaling to both the religious and the xenophobic/bigoted, that particular message. Bad things as god's (inexplicable) will is fairly standard for chunks of the states' religious demographic (one of you, goes Rubio's statement), and the not exactly sly way he insinuated that terrorist acts in places not the first world is a good thing (Only bad when it happens to white people, amIright, winks Rubio) will net the guy some nods from the racist fuckwit demographic. Very pandering statement, really. Almost approaching skilled rhetoric for the guy!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »

Um, wtf Rubio?[snip]
Eh, signaling to both the religious and the xenophobic/bigoted, that particular message. Bad things as god's (inexplicable) will is fairly standard for chunks of the states' religious demographic (one of you, goes Rubio's statement), and the not exactly sly way he insinuated that terrorist acts in places not the first world is a good thing (Only bad when it happens to white people, amIright, winks Rubio) will net the guy some nods from the racist fuckwit demographic. Very pandering statement, really. Almost approaching skilled rhetoric for the guy!

I guess it makes sense in that way since both Cruz and Rubio are trying to inherit Trump's base supporters. Not sure if Carson is trying to, but he has enough problems with his constant stumbling.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:37:48 pm by smjjames »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: December 08, 2015, 01:37:24 pm »

Maybe he wants to set the christian apocalypse in motion?
I could get behind that.  :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: December 08, 2015, 01:38:30 pm »

Isn't that the stated goal of a fair portion of evangelical churches?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:36 pm »

Maybe he wants to set the christian apocalypse in motion?
I could get behind that.  :P
Isn't that the stated goal of a fair portion of evangelical churches?

I think that depends on which type of 'apocalypse' you mean. Whether the 'everybody dies in a hail of fire and brimstone/most everybody dies in a hail of fire and brimstone, the survivors eke out a grim existence' type or the 'faithful turn into beings of light and vanish, the rest of the world continues on living, glad to be rid of the religious nuts' type.

edit: According to wikipedia, the bible (both old and new testaments) has like, 9 or 10 (one of them, the 'apocalypse of stephen' seems to be about the 'apocalypse' of one person) variants.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:57:51 pm by smjjames »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: December 08, 2015, 02:01:14 pm »

Then I guess we'd better start praying to god and sacrificing lambs and possibly virgins to god to get him to stop. /sarcasm Or perhaps he means we should stop fighting terror and let god the invisible intangible rainbow lovecraftian unicorn that shits invisible rainbows do whatever he/she/it wants, since that sounds like what Rubio is saying. /sarcasm
as a general rule, claims like this don't recommend themselves to any particular policy decision

the idea is to reassure believers that there is a higher good that all these tragedies play into, even if only in the afterlife, which often includes inspiring humans to achieve by overcoming adversity - it's rarely meant to lift the responsibility for dealing with bad things from human shoulders or suggest that the real solution is just to pray a lot, although there's definitely a slice of the population who interpret it that way

i don't buy it, for a lot of reasons, but i suspect what he's saying is, "Be brave and soldier on; pass the test", not "Abandon all hope and cower before god's suicide bomber army, your punishment for tolerating the gays" or whatever

i mean he sure as hell flubbed the delivery, but still
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1342